12 replies to this topic

#1 ilikechaitea04

ilikechaitea04

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 04:25 PM

I know that Dixie has confirmed that their paper products contain trace amounts of gluten.

Does anyone know of SAFE paper plates? I have heard multiple people having reactions after microwaving food on paper plates.

Is styrofoam safe?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 04:58 PM

I have never heard of a paper plate containing gluten.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 yolo

yolo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 05:28 PM

I know that Dixie has confirmed that their paper products contain trace amounts of gluten.

Does anyone know of SAFE paper plates? I have heard multiple people having reactions after microwaving food on paper plates.

Is styrofoam safe?

I hadn't heard of that. Who did you get that confirmed with?

Bea
Diagnosed celiac sprue as infant: failure to thrive & pneumonia-back on grains age 4. Began herbs 1971 combating chronic kidney disease/general ill health 1973. Avoid wheat family and "allergens" by 1980. Late 80's doc. diagnosed candida: cave-man diet. Diagnosed degraded myelin sheath 2006; need co-enzyme B vitamins. Discovered celiac fall 2007; finally told diagnosis as infant. Recently found I am salicylic acid intolerant. Ironically can't tolerate most herbs now. Can now eat brown rice & other gluten-free grains (except corn) & even maple syrup & now homeopathic medicine works! Am still exploring the shape of this elephant but I've made progress!

#4 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,049 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 07:01 PM

I have never heard of a paper plate containing gluten.

Nor have I.

Styrofoam is a registered trademark of the Dow Chemical Company for their brand of extruded polystyrene foam. They do not make any products which are used in the packaging or serving of food products. Can you tell that my background includes involvement with intellectual property law?

Many companies make products for food packaging or service from polystyrene foam, and it would not be appropriate to generalize that they are all gluten free, but I can't for the life of me imagine that any of them would contain gluten.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 Mskedi

Mskedi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 07:20 PM

I had never heard of such a thing; then again, I'm new to all this.

What about these? http://www.branchhom...products_id=181

Since they're made of 100% sugar cane fiber, I would imagine they'd be safe. Plus, they're environmentally friendly. :) I'd still check with the company, of course, but it might be a good bet. Personally, I avoid disposable anything whenever possible.

#6 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 05:24 AM

Is styrofoam safe?

To clear up some ongoing confusion, it's a good to contact the manufacturer directly. Here is Georgia-Pacific's quick response to my question regarding Dixie Paper Products. False information can be spread fear needlessly:

Thank you for contacting the Georgia-Pacific Consumer Response Center.
Georgia-Pacific places tremendous importance on the feedback we receive from our
consumers.

Georgia-Pacific Corporation tissues, towels, napkins and Dixie products do not
contain any wheat, rye, barley, oats, or any of their byproducts.

Again, thank you!

Consumer Response Center
gpcrc@gapac.com | 800-283-5547
-
Ref #587064
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#7 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 08:20 AM

Dixie products do NOT contain gluten. Paper products simply are not a concern for us.

richard

#8 lara-1

lara-1

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:33 PM

I was really shocked to hear that paper goods could contain a wheat fiber until a company reached out to me today to let me know of their "Gluten Free Paper Goods." I primarily focus on food allergies and intolerances in my practice but being that gluten is a common intolerance is something I am always researching. 

Check out this company: http://www.enaecogoods.com/

I'd love to know what you think. 

#9 selmz55

selmz55

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:18 PM

I've found myself at your post because I've been (oddly) reacting to many products of the "made from recycled paper" or "made from molded fibers" kind!  Take-away containers, paper towels, etc.  

Two separate instances.... I had no container to microwave a certified gluten-free product on, so I grabbed some of the recycled paper towels at work and ta-dah! I had a plate, right?... I reacted horribly to this food I had had earlier in the day (before it had touched the paper) and been just fine.  I brushed it off as another weird random reaction.

Until recently, 2 separate times I've microwaved in or eaten straight from a take-away container (Chinet brand) and reacted as well.  Same as before, had consumed the food a couple hours earlier and been fine, until it was in the container.  I don't think it's that far off to say some of these products could be "unsafe" for extensive use seeing as, as far as I can research on them, they are made of "molded fibers" which are often Wheat fibers or sealed with some sort of wheat fiber.  

Has anyone else had negative experiences using take-away products?

Is styrofoam safe?

#10 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:45 PM

Hi Selmz, and Welcome to the Forum.

First, just so you know, this thread is almost 5 years old.  And second, I have NEVER heard of someone getting glutened by a paper plate or paper towel.  I would consider cc before you blame paper products.  You said it happened with take-away products (possible contamination) and microwave at work (possible contamination).  This has all the makings of an Celiac Myth which we will not let happen here.  If you would like to start a new Topic to discuss this, you are very Welcome to do so but please provide reputable research to back up the claim you wish to make it.

Good luck to you.

Colleen

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

*BiPolar, Major Depression, Anxiety *Hypothyroidism, *Celiac

*Metastatic Melanoma, *Immunotherapy Mitigated Vitiligo, *General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

hairy-spider-smiley-emoticon.gif

#11 mbrookes

mbrookes

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 06:53 PM

gluten-free lover, thanks for that. So many wild ideas  turn into "truths" and screw up people just starting this life. When I started(due to Celiac diagnosis by biopsy six years ago) I was terrified by news that I could never drink alcohol, all vinegar was poison, most "natural ingredients" were poison.... you see where this is going. We really need to quash the incorrect information as much as we need to give out the :real stuff".

#12 selmz55

selmz55

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:06 PM

Hi Selmz, and Welcome to the Forum.

First, just so you know, this thread is almost 5 years old.  And second, I have NEVER heard of someone getting glutened by a paper plate or paper towel.  I would consider cc before you blame paper products.  You said it happened with take-away products (possible contamination) and microwave at work (possible contamination).  This has all the makings of an Celiac Myth which we will not let happen here.  If you would like to start a new Topic to discuss this, you are very Welcome to do so but please provide reputable research to back up the claim you wish to make it.

Good luck to you.

Colleen

First, I'm sorry.  I thought the purpose of these threads was to ask questions and through such questions become further informed, so I asked a question, "Has anyone else experienced...?"  If the answer to that is no, then let that be.  If posting on an older thread was not acceptable, I would expect the thread to be closed.

#13 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,148 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:14 PM

First, I'm sorry. I thought the purpose of these threads was to ask questions and through such questions become further informed, so I asked a question, "Has anyone else experienced...?" If the answer to that is no, then let that be. If posting on an older thread was not acceptable, I would expect the thread to be closed.

If you want to post on a very old thread....that's ok. We just want to warn people that the original info may be out of date. This is especially true for product info as ingredients and manufacturing practices change over the years. Also, some people expect the original posters to respond and many times, they have not been on the forum for several years.

If you read the entire thread, you have seen that the original post was.... I really don't know how to say it nicely... Appears to be untrue. One can only speculate why they posted that.

For myself, never had a gluten issue with paper products. However, not all paper products are meant to be microwaved.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: