This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Family Reunions

FallenAngel8612

FallenAngel8612 Newbie

First of all, I am new to the gluten free diet, so I am constantly researching on what I can eat, what I can't eat, and what may or may not be good for me.. I am only a week into the diet, but have already slipped once by eating a candy bar that made me have a bad reaction, so I am being more careful than I already was.

I have a family reunion on the 18th, and my reunions are always potluck. No one else in my extended family has heard of this, so there aren't really going to be many choices from what I can predict from past gatherings.

I'm supposed to bring a dish of my own, but should I also kind of pack an entire meal too, that way if I have no other options, I'm not left without a balanced meal?

Any suggestions, comments, advice, or anything would really help.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mamaw Community Regular

Hello & welcome

I've been gluten-free for a long time so here is my suggestion. Make a couple of dishes that are gluten-free so you have something to eat & to share. Some families are very understanding & interested , others could care less & will think you are a space alien! Either way don't let it get to you. It all is very common. They are either understanding or complete morons...

Take a couple of protein bars with you just in case you get hungry. I wouldn't make a big deal out of being gluten-free. If you find some ask about why you are not eating certain foods then I would give a brief explanation. This will lead to them asking m ore questions or else them shying away from you & not wanting to be bothered.

What always gets me is people do not understand that they too may develop this illness at some point.

My family carries a bag of gluten-free food everywhere we go, its always in our vehicle. A gluten-free bar is always in our pocket or purse...

Reunion food most likely will have potato salad ( usually safe)

jello salads ( safe unless crunchies are added) easy to tell

lettuce salads.just check out the dressings

Fruit salad

I guess meats & desserts will be the hardest to deal with.

I would make a dish with some kind of meat you can eat or take a tray of hormel pepperoni & cheese, tortilla chips. A baked ham?

Coldcuts & veggies on shrewers is good as well.

hth

mamaw

FallenAngel8612 Newbie

What about coleslaw? I have an uncle who is really sweet and makes some of it just for me. Also, I've always been picky, so it's not going to alienate me to reject any kind of food. (Although thank you for the concern.) I think I'm going to speak with my family about it, since, if my research is correct, it may be genetic. I'd rather half of them look at me like I'm crazy for mentioning it, if it will affect even some of my family, with the risks of stomach cancer increasing with Celiac.

Thank you so much for the tips, I will have to stock up on some non perishable food items that I can keep handy for trips and whatnot.

Sassy-1 Newbie

When I attend potluck events, I bring a casserole that I know I can have.

I also bring the sour cream coffee cake that can be made from Pamela's baking mix. The recipe is on her website.

The funny thing is that there is NEVER any leftovers because "regular" folks like what I bring.

I agree with taking some granola bars or something. The Glutino bars are fabulous, especially the chocolate banana ones.

Take care of you. It's not worth getting sick over. Believe me, been there, done that!! Tell everyone what's going on. And when you tell them that 1 in 133 people have this but don't know because it mimics so many other symptoms, you just might end up helping someone else out. :)

mamaw Community Regular

You have a great outlook regarding celiac. Kudos! I have always been up front with my illness. I really don't care what others think as long as I'm feeling better with the lifestyle.Families are the worst usually to convince to get tested! There are four of us but should be four more! They just don't get it. One even has intestinal cancer from celiac & was told to do the gluten-free... I tried & cried many tears over this person & finally I'm at the point that if they choose to die then theres nothing more I can do. Very sad.

Since your uncle is a sweetheart just ask him how he makes his coleslaw & go from there.

Cliac has opened many conversations for me to teach others about this disease. It has also helped many find an answer to their ills. So do talk about it if people are asking. I wouldn't make a big issue out of it if no one is interested. Kinda like religion & politics!

If you need some good gluten-free foods that are worth buying I also test market for gluten-free so I have a good perspective on what to buy that is the very best. Just ask.

have fun at your reunion.

mamaw

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
You have a great outlook regarding celiac. Kudos! I have always been up front with my illness. I really don't care what others think as long as I'm feeling better with the lifestyle.Families are the worst usually to convince to get tested! There are four of us but should be four more! They just don't get it. One even has intestinal cancer from celiac & was told to do the gluten-free... I tried & cried many tears over this person & finally I'm at the point that if they choose to die then theres nothing more I can do. Very sad.

Since your uncle is a sweetheart just ask him how he makes his coleslaw & go from there.

Cliac has opened many conversations for me to teach others about this disease. It has also helped many find an answer to their ills. So do talk about it if people are asking. I wouldn't make a big issue out of it if no one is interested. Kinda like religion & politics!

If you need some good gluten-free foods that are worth buying I also test market for gluten-free so I have a good perspective on what to buy that is the very best. Just ask.

have fun at your reunion.

mamaw

I would add a caution to this- many people are utterly unaware of cross-conatmination issues. Your uncle may describe a perfectly safe routine for making his coleslaw, but use mayo that has had gluten covered knives dragged through it a dozen times. He may even be eating a sandwich at the time he makes the coleslaw and drop crumbs in there! Unless someone ASKS you how to make you food safely and you think they REALLY get it, I don't eat it. At this point I trust my boyfriend, my mother, and other Celiacs. Period. And not new Celiacs either, only old hands.

Archived