48 replies to this topic

#1 dogle

dogle

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 01:58 PM

Could it be possible a product isn't gluten free after announcing it as such? :angry: It's not the milk I'm sure of that.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 jststric

jststric

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 05:35 PM

my first thought is that could you possibly be intolerant of other things too? I have discovered I am intolerant of rice also and thats an alternative that is usually used when making something gluten-free.

My only other thought is that perhaps they don't do all the cleaning that's necessary to be "certifiably" gluten-free between their making of the gluten-free cereals and their other products? I know some people can tolerate that kind of cross-contamination and others can't. I can't. Just an idea. You might call and ask what their procedure is to guarantee its kept seperate from the other products.

#3 tom

tom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 08:45 PM

Could it be possible a product isn't gluten free after announcing it as such? :angry:

I *still* haven't seen the gluten-free cinn here, even tho the plain rice chex were here from the beginning, I think.
Read a box yesterday.

Soooooooo .. ..I gotta ask - for all I know someone else picked it up for you - any chance it was pre-gluten-free box?
>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03
Dairy-free since 10-04
Soy-free since 5-07

#4 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 09:44 PM

It could be the cinnamon flavoring. I used to have trouble with cinnamon life but not the regular before going gluten free. I have not had an issue however with the cinnamon chex.

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

#5 bklynceliac

bklynceliac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 11:31 PM

i've had several boxes without any problem. I doubt cc is a problem, they've put too much into this gluten-free line too be lazy about something like that.
Diagnosed through Enterolab (9.27.06)
Antigliadin IgA 164 (Normal Range <10 Units)
Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 75 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)
Quantitative Microscopic Fat Score 874 Units (Normal Range <300 Units)
Fecal anti-casein (cow’s milk) IgA antibody 73 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)
HLA-DQ 2,1 (Subtype 2,5)

#6 ksymonds84

ksymonds84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 07:51 AM

I already mentioned in the other post that the cinnamon one does bother me. Its the milk powder, I am very dairy sensitive. Soy lecithin is an ingredient as well. Not every reaction necessarily means gluten.
Kathy

Gluten free 3/08
Negative blood work/positive endoscopy
Fructose Malabsorption
Soy free

#7 BigDogz

BigDogz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 08:47 AM

I've been pretty lucky that my local Wal-mart carries gluten-free Rice, Honey Nut, Corn and Cinnamon Chex. BUT...I had an experience of my own with that.

I bought a box of Honey Nut Chex that had the gluten-free designation on the front. Ate half the box, no problem. Had a bowl one morning, prepared as I always do with fruit on the top and the same brand and type of milk as usual. As I was eating, I noticed 2 slightly smaller and darker appearing Chex in the bowl. It brought me up short and I hemmed and hawed around about eating them and/or finishing the bowl. Eventually, I figured they were nothing more than over-browned, over-cooked Honey Nut Chex and that I was just getting paranoid about nothing.

Yeah, wish I had THAT one to do over. Just those 2 little Chex glutened the crap out of me and I felt horrible for 4 or 5 days. The next time I went to the grocery store I made it a point to look at the box of Wheat Chex and compare what had been in my bowl with the photo on the front. Yahtzee! We had an exact match. How just those 2 got in my box of Honey Nut Chex is anybody's guess, but they were there, alright.

I've bought another box since then and have done just fine, but I will tell you that I look at each and EVERY spoonful to make certain I don't find any more stray Wheat Chex lurking there. There are times that I wish people and manufacturers could experience, just once, what it is that we go through when we get glutened. I'd hazzard a bet they'd be a HLL of a lot more careful about assuring the "safety" of their products and/or more forthcoming in revealing hidden sources of gluten.

#8 Franceen

Franceen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 03:54 PM

I THINK I had a problem with the Cinnamon Chex, but am not 100% sure that was what it was. A Wegman's just opened up here and I've been trying out a lot of new "gluten-free" stuff. I LOVE the Cinnamon ones to eat for a snack just plain, but for now will stop. The Chocolate ones are also on my shelf now (my Hubby bought them for me as a surprise), and I'm reluctant because they, too, are flavored. In any case, my reaction wasn't severe, so I suspect it might have been just a bit of cross contamination - which I can normally tolerate.
I have no problem with the Honey Nut, Corn, and Rice ones though.
Hopefully some of us are telling General Mills so they can investigate if they have any training, cleaning or ingredients problems.

Franceen
Diagnosed DH by Allergist via gluten-free Diet Success
Gluten-free since Dec 2005
Gluten-free works so why keep getting tests?

Neg skin biopsy & Neg bloodwork after gluten-free for 3 months
No Endoscopy - need to eat gluten for good test & won't do it

No other Allergies or major ailments!

#9 jcford33

jcford33

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 05:02 PM

Put me down for having a problem with the Cinnamon. I can't say I was glutened because my reactions are usually long and bad, but I definitely felt some gut pain for a few hours. I tried a little a couple of days later and felt the same. I've had no probs with the Rice or Honey Nut.

#10 Gfresh404

Gfresh404

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 05:28 PM

Could be the whole grains.

I still have slight issues with any type of insoluble fiber, although I have gotten a lot better.

#11 dogle

dogle

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 06:43 PM

I know it can't be related to cinammon because I've had some desserts containing it and I didn't experience any problem. Today I still feel bad and my feces are a mess again. I really take care of the food I'm eating so I know it is not a cross contamination on my side.

#12 FMcGee

FMcGee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 06:37 AM

I was having problems with the cinnamon one too. Today I went to the store and decided to look at the ingredients list again. Barley malt. My freakin grocery store put them in the gluten free section even though these are apparently STILL the pre-gluten-free ones. I am ashamed to admit that I cried. Aaaaaaaaaaargh.

#13 jayhawkmom

jayhawkmom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 08:09 AM

I picked up a box of the cinnamon ones just the other day - both the Cinnamon AND Chocolate had barley malt in them. I put them right back on the shelf.
Jayhawkmom -
Mom of three....
Jay - 11
Bean - 8
Ian - 3

#14 FMcGee

FMcGee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 08:10 AM

I picked up a box of the cinnamon ones just the other day - both the Cinnamon AND Chocolate had barley malt in them. I put them right back on the shelf.

Ugh. I didn't see barley malt in the strawberry, but can we assume the "mixed tocopherols" are safe?

#15 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 08:26 AM

The new version packages have the words "Gluten-Free" in big letters on the front. If you don't see that, then you have the older version. I understand both are on store shelves.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: