51 replies to this topic

#46 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:30 AM

Last I heard, they were made in the same facility as their gluten containing cereals.  There is a possibility of cc for those of us more sensitive.  Does anyone know? 

Does anyone know if they test their ingredients such as the cinnamon prior to processing?

This reference: http://celiacdisease...nnamon-chex.htm

says that the final cereals are tested to below 20 ppm and it infers that they are made on shared lines.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

katerzz

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:55 PM

From everything I've read, any product from General Mills that states "Gluten Free" is made in a dedicated facility. 

"grabbed from the general mills' website" 

General Mills products labeled as “gluten free” do not contain wheat, rye, barley, oats or crossbred hybrid of these grains. They also do not contain ingredients that are derived from these grains.

Gluten-free labeled products undergo extensive evaluation. Production locations also assure that no cross-contact can occur during manufacturing and/or packaging. Gluten-free products also are routinely analyzed to assure ongoing compliance with the FDA proposed regulation for “gluten free.” All General Mills products labeled as “gluten free” meet or exceed this standard. 

This is why Kix are not labled gluten free, though they contain no gluten.

PS, my son and husband have eaten cinnamon chex for over a year with no reactions. :)

klingle

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:08 AM

I called GM today about their "gluten free" chex cereals and they told me that they will send the message along to the appropriate people and she was VERY nice about it! She also informed me that legally companies can have up to 20 parts per million and still be labeled gluten free; however, GM holds themselves to a higher standard and only puts 10 parts per million at the most so if you are VERY allergic to gluten this could be your problem! Hope this helps some of you! I also wanted to let you all know that if you are having problems with ANY gluten free products you should call the company so that they can try to identify and fix the problem :]

kareng

Vote Moose!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,104 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:32 AM

I called GM today about their "gluten free" chex cereals and they told me that they will send the message along to the appropriate people and she was VERY nice about it! She also informed me that legally companies can have up to 20 parts per million and still be labeled gluten free; however, GM holds themselves to a higher standard and only puts 10 parts per million at the most so if you are VERY allergic to gluten this could be your problem! Hope this helps some of you! I also wanted to let you all know that if you are having problems with ANY gluten free products you should call the company so that they can try to identify and fix the problem :]

Companies don't add gluten to get their products to 20 ppm or 10 ppm. Even if a product tests at less than 10 ppm, it may have no gluten or 2 ppm. It's just how the tests work.

"Children in a family are like flowers in a bouquet: there's always one determined to face in an opposite direction from the way the arranger desires."
~Marcelene Cox

"Earth laughs in flowers."
~Ralph Waldo Emerson

flower-3-smiley-emoticon-emoji.png

Tahoemike1

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 10:27 PM

I am a rather new Celiac patient, but I am learning the ropes really fast! I have learned a very good lesson the hard way - by getting good and glutened several times! We all know that just isn't any fun, right? Only then did I realize one true thing; just because a product says gluten free, it doesn't necessarly mean that it is safe for a person with Celiac. Well, the lesson that I learned very fast was to not buy any products unless they are CERTIFIED GLUTEN FREE!! Only then, are you assused of being relatively safe. Chex is not a certified gluten free product! Do you think that they have  factories set up just to make just gluten free products? Of course not, they make many products in their factories, and that makes the risk of cross contamination from wheat a very high risk. Do yourselves a favor and only buy CERTIFIED GLUTEN FREE! You body will be happy you did...

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,843 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 05:34 PM

This is information regarding "Certified Gluten Free"...
http://www.celiaccen...-certification/

Please note, that "certified gluten free" makes no claim of ZERO gluten, it is an endorsement from celiac organizations, that a particular product is with compliance with the federal standard or 20 ppm or less.

In defense of Chex. I do not have an issue with their gluten free products I'm not sure if they have a separate facility for their gluten free products, nor does that concern me. I've been gluten free since 2005.

If you are only buying 'Certified Gluten Free" Products, you might be getting pretty hungry. And if you're new to the diet, it's best to eat whole foods for a while and stay away from processed food and dairy for a while.

Bet of luck to you.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

kareng

Vote Moose!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,104 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 06:15 PM

This is information regarding "Certified Gluten Free"...
http://www.celiaccen...-certification/

Please note, that "certified gluten free" makes no claim of ZERO gluten, it is an endorsement from celiac organizations, that a particular product is with compliance with the federal standard or 20 ppm or less.

In defense of Chex. I do not have an issue with their gluten free products I'm not sure if they have a separate facility for their gluten free products, nor does that concern me. I've been gluten free since 2005.

If you are only buying 'Certified Gluten Free" Products, you might be getting pretty hungry. And if you're new to the diet, it's best to eat whole foods for a while and stay away from processed food and dairy for a while.

Bet of luck to you.

Good explanation! Thanks.

I think we imagine that there is some person in a lab coat, with a test tube & a microscope, testing each batch and stamping " certified" on the package. Lol

"Children in a family are like flowers in a bouquet: there's always one determined to face in an opposite direction from the way the arranger desires."
~Marcelene Cox

"Earth laughs in flowers."
~Ralph Waldo Emerson

flower-3-smiley-emoticon-emoji.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: