48 replies to this topic

#46 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:30 AM

Last I heard, they were made in the same facility as their gluten containing cereals.  There is a possibility of cc for those of us more sensitive.  Does anyone know? 

Does anyone know if they test their ingredients such as the cinnamon prior to processing?

This reference: http://celiacdisease...nnamon-chex.htm

says that the final cereals are tested to below 20 ppm and it infers that they are made on shared lines.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#47 katerzz

katerzz

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:55 PM

From everything I've read, any product from General Mills that states "Gluten Free" is made in a dedicated facility. 

"grabbed from the general mills' website" 

General Mills products labeled as “gluten free” do not contain wheat, rye, barley, oats or crossbred hybrid of these grains. They also do not contain ingredients that are derived from these grains.

Gluten-free labeled products undergo extensive evaluation. Production locations also assure that no cross-contact can occur during manufacturing and/or packaging. Gluten-free products also are routinely analyzed to assure ongoing compliance with the FDA proposed regulation for “gluten free.” All General Mills products labeled as “gluten free” meet or exceed this standard. 

This is why Kix are not labled gluten free, though they contain no gluten.

PS, my son and husband have eaten cinnamon chex for over a year with no reactions. :)

#48 klingle

klingle

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:08 AM

I called GM today about their "gluten free" chex cereals and they told me that they will send the message along to the appropriate people and she was VERY nice about it! She also informed me that legally companies can have up to 20 parts per million and still be labeled gluten free; however, GM holds themselves to a higher standard and only puts 10 parts per million at the most so if you are VERY allergic to gluten this could be your problem! Hope this helps some of you! I also wanted to let you all know that if you are having problems with ANY gluten free products you should call the company so that they can try to identify and fix the problem :]

#49 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,314 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:32 AM

I called GM today about their "gluten free" chex cereals and they told me that they will send the message along to the appropriate people and she was VERY nice about it! She also informed me that legally companies can have up to 20 parts per million and still be labeled gluten free; however, GM holds themselves to a higher standard and only puts 10 parts per million at the most so if you are VERY allergic to gluten this could be your problem! Hope this helps some of you! I also wanted to let you all know that if you are having problems with ANY gluten free products you should call the company so that they can try to identify and fix the problem :]

Companies don't add gluten to get their products to 20 ppm or 10 ppm. Even if a product tests at less than 10 ppm, it may have no gluten or 2 ppm. It's just how the tests work.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: