4 replies to this topic

#1 jayhawkmom

jayhawkmom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 02:03 PM

I just wanted to sing the praises of Royal Caribbean, Rhapsody of the Seas. My husband and I took an Alaskan cruise last month, and we had an absolutely fantastic time.

In the Windjammer cafe there was always gluten free poundcake.... something I'd never had before, and LOVED!

Our waitstaff, in the main dining room, was excellent. Every night they had my own gluten-free bread waiting for me at the table, and they went over each menu with me in great detail. Dining in the ports proved challenging, but we were always able to get back on the ship for snacks and meals if necessary.

I admit I was totally nervous about being so far from home with limited options, but we really had a great time and I had no cross contamination issues at all.

For breakfast, I had pancakes & french toast. Yummy. =)

I would highly recommend RC if any of you are considering a cruise!!!
Jayhawkmom -
Mom of three....
Jay - 11
Bean - 8
Ian - 3

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 jststric

jststric

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 05:29 PM

THANKS FOR THAT INFO!!! We've been on one cruise but it was before I started having all my food issues. We've would LOVE to go again but my eating needs is what was stopping us! I have alot of other food intolerances besides the glutens but maybe if they just know ahead of time. I HATE being so high-maintenance! : P

#3 ohsotired

ohsotired

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 09:25 AM

jayhawkmom - thank you for posting this! My hubby wants to take me on a cruise, but I've been so concerned about how/what I would eat. I have more confidence now, and maybe we will actually do this! :)

jststric - I too, hate being so 'high maintenance' in regards to food.
Dx Celiac 08/22/08
Iron Deficient Anemia / Blood Clotting Disorder / Severe Vit D Deficiency / Low Cortisol / Progesterone/Testosterone Deficient

Persisting Sx: bouts of extreme fatigue, dry itchy skin, dry gritty eyes, bouts of brain fog and terrible short term memory, hair loss, hypoglycemic tendencies, low body temps, low BP, cold hands and feet

UPDATE: Began BHRT 9/22/10 and it made a world of difference, for about 2 weeks. Hair loss stopped almost completely, energy levels way up and felt 19 again! Going back for a booster this week....

#4 Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 11:14 AM

I just wrote to them to thank them for offering gluten free foods.
1960s-had symptoms-could have been before but don't remember
1970s-told had colitis or nervous stomach-was given phenobarbital, felt great but still had symptoms
Me, dd and ds diagnosed with Lactose Intolerance
2000-osteopenia
2001-had stroke because of medications I was given
June 2003-saw Chiropractor who specialized in nutrition: Celiac Disease not Lactose Intolerance, went gluten free with once in awhile cheating, off soy and dairy for about 6 months
June 2003-found excellent doctor for fibromyalgia (who has found out she has Celiac Disease)
May 2006-went gluten free with NO cheating-excellent! Made all the difference in the world

#5 Petasatus

Petasatus

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 08:20 AM

Have to agree, fully!

I was on the Liberty of the Seas and the staff were wonderful. We cruised with 12 family members and I was more than a bit worried how they would accommodate my needs in combination with the rest of our extended family. My wife and mother advocated before I even arrived on board and had me meet with the Head Waiter, who subsequently introduced me to one of the Chefs, who had a perfectly prepared meal for me each afternoon and evening. For breakfast, I was able to arrive in the dining area and order, or head in early to the buffet area for an omelette and fresh fruit or hard boiled eggs.

I would recommend bringing along some of your own snacks for between meals, but you can easily find white rice, whole fruit, etc.

This turned out to be a wonderful travel experience, as I felt spoiled and doted upon for the entire trip.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: