Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Kraft Miracle Whip

12 posts in this topic

I'm relatively new to the whole gluten-free thing. Does anyone know if Kraft Miracle Whip (basically mayonnaise) have gluten in it? It lists soybean oil as one of its ingredients....does soybean oil contain gluten? I thought I read somewhere online that it did, but now I'm completely confused. It also listed 'colour'.....I think flavour can potentially contain gluten, but I don't know whether or not colour can.

I called Kraft and they were no help. She basically told me that they cannot guarantee this product is gluten-free, but contradicted herself by also saying that if there were any ingredients containing (& also potentially containing, as in a trace amount from cross contamination) gluten, they would be stated on the ingredients. I was so frustrated. I kept trying to ask her politely how these two contradictory things could be true, to no avail. I didn't have the energy to pursue it any longer, so I just gave up. How frustrating. Talk about the run-around. :(

Ads by Google:

Kraft will list all forms a gluten on the ingredient listing. If you don't see it there, it ain't in there ;)

It is "supposed" to be gluten free but I seem to be one of the people who have reacted to it. I don't do well with modified food starches. I use regular mayonnaise instead that is labeled gluten free, and if I want to make it taste like Miracle Whip, I add some extra apple cider vinegar and some sweetener to it.

Soybean oil does not normally contain gluten.

I'm relatively new to the whole gluten-free thing. Does anyone know if Kraft Miracle Whip (basically mayonnaise) have gluten in it? It lists soybean oil as one of its ingredients....does soybean oil contain gluten? I thought I read somewhere online that it did, but now I'm completely confused. It also listed 'colour'.....I think flavour can potentially contain gluten, but I don't know whether or not colour can.

I called Kraft and they were no help. She basically told me that they cannot guarantee this product is gluten-free, but contradicted herself by also saying that if there were any ingredients containing (& also potentially containing, as in a trace amount from cross contamination) gluten, they would be stated on the ingredients. I was so frustrated. I kept trying to ask her politely how these two contradictory things could be true, to no avail. I didn't have the energy to pursue it any longer, so I just gave up. How frustrating. Talk about the run-around. :(

Please see the highlighted word in your post. That word creates a potential legal liability. Very few companies will guarantee gluten-free, since it would create a liability for them if one of their suppliers accidentally provided a contaminated ingredient, and they did not test each and every ingredient for possible gluten contamination.

Kraft is good to us, and I trust their labels.

Edited to add: Soybean oil is not a source of gluten, but there are a number of us who, in addition to gluten, are intolerant to soy.

Edited by psawyer

I was reading the ingredients on a Hellman's Canola Mayonaise jar last week, and it even stated *Gluten Free on the jar. Problem for me is, salad dressings and mayo nearly always contain soy.

It is "supposed" to be gluten free but I seem to be one of the people who have reacted to it. I don't do well with modified food starches. I use regular mayonnaise instead that is labeled gluten free, and if I want to make it taste like Miracle Whip, I add some extra apple cider vinegar and some sweetener to it.

Soybean oil does not normally contain gluten.

Don't know what you reacted to, but Miracle Whip is gluten-free. Personally, I can't stand the stuff, but it is gluten-free.

richard

I was reading the ingredients on a Hellman's Canola Mayonaise jar last week, and it even stated *Gluten Free on the jar. Problem for me is, salad dressings and mayo nearly always contain soy.

Yes, they all contain soy and HFCS. So unfortunate! I need to find a good recipe to make it myself for deviled eggs!

Don't know what you reacted to, but Miracle Whip is gluten-free. Personally, I can't stand the stuff, but it is gluten-free.

richard

I consider it one of the basic four food groups ( meat, vegetable, fruit, and things that taste great but are fat) and was raised with it as an essential ingredient, so it's not that I don't like it or am impugning the brand, but it is definitely something I was reacting to, based on self trials. Sandwich with, gut bloating. Sandwich without, using regular mayonnaise, none. I'm talking my own gluten-free bread with nothing but the white stuff spread on it, and my wonderful spouse does not consume gluten in the house voluntarily, so it's not like the jar was contaminated.

I don't trust modified food starch unless the label specifies the country of origin and the exact grain product it was made out of. I suspect I am just not able to handle highly refined starches, which makes sense as it goes along with the type of arthritis I have, but with manufacturers sometimes using imported products there is always the risk of mislabeling or cross contamination.

In an ideal world there would be jars of mayonnaise made of strictly olive oil without the added starch and with no added gluten, but I haven't found one yet.

I consider it one of the basic four food groups ( meat, vegetable, fruit, and things that taste great but are fat) and was raised with it as an essential ingredient

:lol: Me too...always Miracle Whip, never any other, and I loved it. It is made with soy though, so I can't have it anymore. :(

I also reacted, not sure what it is..probably the eggs

Please note that this thread is over two years old...the information may be dated and inaccurate.