Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Can Pork Have Gluten?

3 posts in this topic

Well I'm really on the wall and having a hard time finding anything to help me answer my question so here's the story.

I made a very yummy stuffed pork tenderloin and not long after I became very very sick (all my usual gluten symptoms) and ruling out bad food in general the rest of my family ate it with no problems. It was a very simple recipe so I can only wonder if the pork tenderloin it's self was to blame. But I can't find anything about pork tenderloins having gluten. It was in the fresh meat section but it was plastic wrapped with liquid the way you find whole turkeys, chickens, and baked hams. Could the juices (no ingrediant list) be to blame? I heard that sometimes happens with poultry that is prepackaged. Is there same pork terderloins? I also live in the united states, and there are many wonderful gluten free pork tenderloin recipes I would love to try but I don't want to get sick again. Here is the complete ingredient list if anyone has any insight please let me know.

pork terderloin

fresh parsley

green onions

Bacon (kraft brand with no gluten listed)

spicy mustard (frenchs no gluten according to their site)

Ads by Google:

Seems possible to me that the juices could be suspect.

I know I have found that any meat that isn't just plain may (or may not) have an ingredient list hiding on the packaging some place, and my favorite culprit is "natural flavors". Even ground beef from some stores/brands...

Couple of ideas if you want to play Sherlock Holmes - go back to the store where you bought it, see if the same product is still there. Ask the butcher (if there is one) what all is in the juices and where it was packaged - at the store, at a distributor, where? You may not solve the source, but who knows you might get closer to figuring it out!

Then, the next time you want to make a pork tenderloin, buy one that is plain and 'dry' instead of packed in liquid/pre-marinated. Might mean going to a different store, or just making prior arrangements with the butcher.

(Also, any cc chance? is your oven self-cleaning & have you cleaned it since going gluten-free? Any pre-gluten-free wooden utensils involved in your prep?)

Good luck, hope you feel better soon!

Pork in itself is gluten free. Preseasoned pork may contain gluten.

Early into healing it's pretty hard to pin-point a glutening because everything we eat will be an irritant until some healing can take place, gluten or not.

You also might be aware that a shared mustard jar my be contaminated by spreading on gluten bread and double dipping.