2 replies to this topic

#1 vampkestrel

vampkestrel

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 08:17 AM

Well I'm really on the wall and having a hard time finding anything to help me answer my question so here's the story.

I made a very yummy stuffed pork tenderloin and not long after I became very very sick (all my usual gluten symptoms) and ruling out bad food in general the rest of my family ate it with no problems. It was a very simple recipe so I can only wonder if the pork tenderloin it's self was to blame. But I can't find anything about pork tenderloins having gluten. It was in the fresh meat section but it was plastic wrapped with liquid the way you find whole turkeys, chickens, and baked hams. Could the juices (no ingrediant list) be to blame? I heard that sometimes happens with poultry that is prepackaged. Is there same pork terderloins? I also live in the united states, and there are many wonderful gluten free pork tenderloin recipes I would love to try but I don't want to get sick again. Here is the complete ingredient list if anyone has any insight please let me know.

pork terderloin
fresh parsley
green onions
Bacon (kraft brand with no gluten listed)
spicy mustard (frenchs no gluten according to their site)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 babysteps

babysteps

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 08:26 AM

Seems possible to me that the juices could be suspect.

I know I have found that any meat that isn't just plain may (or may not) have an ingredient list hiding on the packaging some place, and my favorite culprit is "natural flavors". Even ground beef from some stores/brands...

Couple of ideas if you want to play Sherlock Holmes - go back to the store where you bought it, see if the same product is still there. Ask the butcher (if there is one) what all is in the juices and where it was packaged - at the store, at a distributor, where? You may not solve the source, but who knows you might get closer to figuring it out!

Then, the next time you want to make a pork tenderloin, buy one that is plain and 'dry' instead of packed in liquid/pre-marinated. Might mean going to a different store, or just making prior arrangements with the butcher.

(Also, any cc chance? is your oven self-cleaning & have you cleaned it since going gluten-free? Any pre-gluten-free wooden utensils involved in your prep?)

Good luck, hope you feel better soon!
gluten-free (except unintentionally) from 7 Dec 2007
3 gluten-free cousins and counting (1 gold standard, 1 pos blood/no endo, 1 self/dietary diagnosed)
suspect mother was celiac (also, cousin suspects my mother's twin is celiac)

Feb 08 testing 'normal range' for gluten antibodies, IBD and food allergies
Staying off gluten - dietary reaction is compelling for me!

"Hi, I'm the gluten-free diner at your table."

#3 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 08:27 AM

Pork in itself is gluten free. Preseasoned pork may contain gluten.

Early into healing it's pretty hard to pin-point a glutening because everything we eat will be an irritant until some healing can take place, gluten or not.

You also might be aware that a shared mustard jar my be contaminated by spreading on gluten bread and double dipping.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: