This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Scared To Get Pregnant!

reznicekk

reznicekk Newbie

I was recently diagnosed Celiac just a few months ago and am looking to start a family in about three years.

My menstrual cycles have always been normal and I've never had any issues with them. In fact, I've never missed a period or been way off on them. Should I be concerned about whether or not I will have healthy pregnancies? Do I have a high risk of infertility and miscarriage even if I am totally off gluten for three years prior to concieving? Please help, as I am really looking for some aleviation of my fears!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

karenhockley Apprentice

! had three healthy pregnancies and babies. They were a little smaller than most babies but nonetheless they were healthy, the only problem I had was a placenta previa. I was diagnosed when I was 9 months old. I never had any problems getting pregnant nor did I have any miscarriages. I was more vigilant with the gluten free diet since you tend to have odd cravings. I had a positive attitude towards everything and if someone wanted to tell me about their "hell" labor story I just told them I didn't want to hear it. I believe that a positive attitude can help you out that and I was physically active. Just make sure that all your blood work is where it should be and stay positive.

I know that getting pregnant is scary to begin with but read as much as you can get your hands on. Information is knowledge!

tarnalberry Community Regular

as long as you maintain a gluten free diet (don't worry about the rare minor contamination, just don't try cheating), you should be just fine.

FMcGee Explorer

Oh, wow, am I ever in the same boat. I'm even hoping to start having kids in three years, and I'm worried, too. I haven't quite wrestled this celiac disease to the ground yet (see another post about my lamenations over Chex, hehe) but I'm hoping that by then it won't be a big deal. I'm also worried about passing celiac on to my kids, which is making me wonder about adoption, which I've always thought was cool anyway. (PLEASE NOTE: I am NOT NOT NOT saying that if you have celiac you shouldn't get pregnant/have kids. That's probably what I'm going to do, or some combination of adoption and pregnancy, depending on how many we have. I'm just saying I'm an over-thinker, is all!)

Anyway, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one worried about this! I'm also glad to read the other responses.

berylayn Newbie

I was diagnosed celiac a little over a year ago. My mom is a celiac as well (self-diagnosed) and I have a sister who is non-celiac. She had two healthy pregnancies before she was even gluten free! My mom just admitted to me a few weeks ago that all she ate when she was pregnant with me was donuts. :rolleyes: I am not condoning gluten eating while pregnant AT ALL! I just found it amusing.

Anyway, I recently became pregnant with my first and I will admit it was pretty scary at first. I was concerning with the amt. of time it would take to concieve and the risk for miscarriage. I am now 12 wks. and everything is very healthy thus far. I am maintaining as strict a gluten-free diet as I can and I am excited about what's to come! I have come to peace with the fact that there is a 50/50 chance this baby could have celiac. If so, I am sure we'll get along fine. I seem to be doing alright being gluten-free and we'll just cross that way of living with little one if need be.

Anyway, good luck on your journey! I am sure after 3 years on a gluten-free diet your body will be more than ready for pregnancy. Enjoy!

Mother of Jibril Enthusiast

If you're strict about the gluten-free diet then I don't think you have anything to worry about when it comes to celiac disease. However... before you get pregnant I think you would be very smart to get an ANA test and have your thyroid checked. Celiac disease is an autoimmune disorder and autoimmune disorders tend to cluster together. I'm not 100% sure that I have celiac disease (long story), but I do have at least two other autoimmune disorders... Hashimoto's disease and idiopathic anaphylaxis (my immune system has been making antibodies to my own mast cells). Hashimoto's disease, in particular, is very common and can cause a miscarriage. Untreated, it can even lower the IQ of your baby :( Some OBs are starting to routinely test all of their patients, but mine didn't and I had a loss when I was four months pregnant. ANA is a good marker for autoimmune activity in your body, but is not specific for any particular disorder. Just blood tests... not too expensive.

FMcGee Explorer
If you're strict about the gluten-free diet then I don't think you have anything to worry about when it comes to celiac disease. However... before you get pregnant I think you would be very smart to get an ANA test and have your thyroid checked. Celiac disease is an autoimmune disorder and autoimmune disorders tend to cluster together. I'm not 100% sure that I have celiac disease (long story), but I do have at least two other autoimmune disorders... Hashimoto's disease and idiopathic anaphylaxis (my immune system has been making antibodies to my own mast cells). Hashimoto's disease, in particular, is very common and can cause a miscarriage. Untreated, it can even lower the IQ of your baby :( Some OBs are starting to routinely test all of their patients, but mine didn't and I had a loss when I was four months pregnant. ANA is a good marker for autoimmune activity in your body, but is not specific for any particular disorder. Just blood tests... not too expensive.

That's good advice, and I, for one, will definitely keep it in mind.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived