Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Gluten Intolerance?

9 posts in this topic

I just did a 4 week gluten free trial & then ate just as normal & felt very nauseas the next day. Do you think that is enough of an "unofficial" diagnosis to say I am gluten intolerant? I tested normal on the celiac blood panel & have had several other tests done on me over the past 5 years. The doctor was telling me it was IBS but I was not accepting that as my diagnosis so I decided to try the gluten free diet on my own.

Ads by Google:

I would keep eating gluten for a week, if your system can stand it. That will give you a clearer idea of whether your gluten challenge was positive. How did you feel during the time you were gluten free? Did it help your symptoms at all?

Sorry I didn't see this reply until today (the email notification must not have been working). I was off of gluten for 4 weeks & went back on it for 2 days & got very nauseous. I never actually got sick but very nauseous & still am now a week later. I haven't eaten any gluten since last Monday morning. Do you think it could still be related to the gluten? It seems like a big coinsidence if it's not related.

During my gluten free challenge I didn't get sick but I hadn't been sick for a couple months leading up to it either. My sickness wasn't constant. It was on & off for 5 years which has made it hard to diagnose. I have had so many other tests done so I don't know what else it could be.

Anyone have any advise? Could it be gluten intolerance? Should I still be nauseous even though I haven't had any gluten in a week?

Please help!!! I can't afford to go to the doctor anymore b/c my health insurance skyrocketed which is why I'm doing this on my own.

Sorry to keep posting this but can anyone help me with this? I'm starting to feel better now but was sick for 1 1/2 weeks after 4 weeks of gluten free & 2 days back on gluten. Should I still be sick from just 2 days with gluten?

Sure, it's possible! Reactions are different and vary in intensity and duration from person to person. If you ate gluten for every meal for 2 straight days, then I'd say that's a reasonable amount of time to be sick.

If you feel better gluten free, then why not just stick to it? You have nothing to lose but your nausea, and you don't need a doctor's prescription!

My doc told me I had IBS too...and I say "BS" to that. Go with your gut...literally :P

Thanks for your reply. I'm going to stick with the gluten free diet & then in about a month try to eat barley & see if that makes me sick. Then I can hopefully see if it's just wheat or all gluten.

Sorry to keep posting this but can anyone help me with this? I'm starting to feel better now but was sick for 1 1/2 weeks after 4 weeks of gluten free & 2 days back on gluten. Should I still be sick from just 2 days with gluten?

Unfortunately the reaction can last that long, it's takes time for the antibodies to 'deactivate'. Some of us will even notice a pattern to our reactions after we have accidentally gotten it again after being gluten free for a while.

If you are having stomach pain some find Pepto Bismal to be effective and if energy, fatigue and brain fog are also an issue sublingual B12 will help a lot with that.

I am glad to hear that you are going to stick with the diet. Hopefully you will be feeling better soon.

Another question, I have had several people tell me that my sickness after gluten free & then eating gluten doesn't necessarily tell me anything. They said that anytime you drastically change your diet your body will go into shock & will make you sick. Is that true?

Another question, I have had several people tell me that my sickness after gluten free & then eating gluten doesn't necessarily tell me anything. They said that anytime you drastically change your diet your body will go into shock & will make you sick. Is that true?

No it's not.