8 replies to this topic

#1 terribeth07

terribeth07

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 12:42 PM

I just did a 4 week gluten free trial & then ate just as normal & felt very nauseas the next day. Do you think that is enough of an "unofficial" diagnosis to say I am gluten intolerant? I tested normal on the celiac blood panel & have had several other tests done on me over the past 5 years. The doctor was telling me it was IBS but I was not accepting that as my diagnosis so I decided to try the gluten free diet on my own.
5 years of sickness & several tests.
Abnormal Gallbladder Diagnosis & removal April 2008.
No official diagnosis from Doctor
Negative to Celiac Blood Panel
Self Diagnosing myself with gluten intolerance July 2009 after going gluten free for 4 weeks & then severe nausea after eating gluten for 2 days.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,768 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 01:36 PM

I would keep eating gluten for a week, if your system can stand it. That will give you a clearer idea of whether your gluten challenge was positive. How did you feel during the time you were gluten free? Did it help your symptoms at all?
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#3 terribeth07

terribeth07

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 11:45 AM

Sorry I didn't see this reply until today (the email notification must not have been working). I was off of gluten for 4 weeks & went back on it for 2 days & got very nauseous. I never actually got sick but very nauseous & still am now a week later. I haven't eaten any gluten since last Monday morning. Do you think it could still be related to the gluten? It seems like a big coinsidence if it's not related.

During my gluten free challenge I didn't get sick but I hadn't been sick for a couple months leading up to it either. My sickness wasn't constant. It was on & off for 5 years which has made it hard to diagnose. I have had so many other tests done so I don't know what else it could be.

Anyone have any advise? Could it be gluten intolerance? Should I still be nauseous even though I haven't had any gluten in a week?

Please help!!! I can't afford to go to the doctor anymore b/c my health insurance skyrocketed which is why I'm doing this on my own.
Self Diagnosing myself with gluten intolerance July 2009 after going gluten free for 4 weeks & then severe nausea after eating gluten for 2 days.

#4 terribeth07

terribeth07

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 01:28 PM

Sorry to keep posting this but can anyone help me with this? I'm starting to feel better now but was sick for 1 1/2 weeks after 4 weeks of gluten free & 2 days back on gluten. Should I still be sick from just 2 days with gluten?

#5 leadmeastray88

leadmeastray88

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 01:40 PM

Sure, it's possible! Reactions are different and vary in intensity and duration from person to person. If you ate gluten for every meal for 2 straight days, then I'd say that's a reasonable amount of time to be sick.

If you feel better gluten free, then why not just stick to it? You have nothing to lose but your nausea, and you don't need a doctor's prescription!

My doc told me I had IBS too...and I say "BS" to that. Go with your gut...literally :P
~Kim~ Gluten-Free since July 2008
9 inguinal hernia surgeries in 3 years (2004-2007)
Symptoms Pre-Dx: constant abdominal cramps, acid reflux, nausea, vitamin B12 deficiency, chronic constipation, fatigue, hyperhidrosis, migraines
July 7/08 - tTG 1 (+>4) - Diagnosed with IBS, given Rx, sent home to "relax"
Gastro refused biopsy as I had "already been though enough"
Enterolab Results (Aug 2008) - Fecal Antigliadin IgA 11 (Normal Range <10 Units)
HLA-DQB1 Molecular Analysis, Allele 1 0202
HLA-DQB1 Molecular Analysis, Allele 2 0301
Sept/09 - New GP gave Celiac Dx based on response to diet and family history
National Celiac Disease Conference 2010 Volunteer

#6 terribeth07

terribeth07

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 03:19 AM

Thanks for your reply. I'm going to stick with the gluten free diet & then in about a month try to eat barley & see if that makes me sick. Then I can hopefully see if it's just wheat or all gluten.

#7 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,768 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 03:51 AM

Sorry to keep posting this but can anyone help me with this? I'm starting to feel better now but was sick for 1 1/2 weeks after 4 weeks of gluten free & 2 days back on gluten. Should I still be sick from just 2 days with gluten?

Unfortunately the reaction can last that long, it's takes time for the antibodies to 'deactivate'. Some of us will even notice a pattern to our reactions after we have accidentally gotten it again after being gluten free for a while.
If you are having stomach pain some find Pepto Bismal to be effective and if energy, fatigue and brain fog are also an issue sublingual B12 will help a lot with that.
I am glad to hear that you are going to stick with the diet. Hopefully you will be feeling better soon.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

#8 terribeth07

terribeth07

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 07:25 AM

Another question, I have had several people tell me that my sickness after gluten free & then eating gluten doesn't necessarily tell me anything. They said that anytime you drastically change your diet your body will go into shock & will make you sick. Is that true?

#9 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,768 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 10:30 AM

Another question, I have had several people tell me that my sickness after gluten free & then eating gluten doesn't necessarily tell me anything. They said that anytime you drastically change your diet your body will go into shock & will make you sick. Is that true?

No it's not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: