30 replies to this topic

#16 anabananakins

anabananakins

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 05:28 PM

I use Colgate, I'm sensitive and I've not had any problems.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 tallman7892

tallman7892

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 12:28 AM

Colgate and Crest, to name two widely available ones, are both gluten-free. I use Crest.

false! Colgate has a thickener that is gluten based.

#18 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 04:46 AM

I use Colgate all the time. Where did you find this information?
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#19 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 06:43 AM

Please give us a source for this info. In 9 years I've NEVER heard of Colgate containing gluten.

richard

#20 snoopgirl

snoopgirl

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 10:51 PM

That is what I call an honest answer, but not one that worries me. What it means is that they don't test for gluten contamination (no mainstream company does), and thus can make no legal guarantee. It does *NOT* mean that the products are inherently unsafe.

Unfortunately for those of us who are extremely sensitive to gluten ANY cross-contamination can be a problem. And while I'd prefer to think that people/companies are being honest and merely practicing a little CYA, I have had some experiences where this is not the case.

As for Sensodyne....I have been coughing for about a year now, worse and worse, mostly when I lay down at night. (I went gluten-free just over a year ago). None of my doctors have shown any concern or answers. I just get this annoying tickle in my throat. I had given up ALL gluten-free products except Sensodyne. I'm now a Crest and Aquafresh customer. Cough gone!

#21 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 05:56 AM

I was getting reactions from Sensodine Pronamel. I really needed it because of enamal loss, but have switched to Crest regular.
Wanted to mention too, be sure you have a new toothbrush. A lot of people don't think about it, but your old one has to be contaminated?

#22 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 07:34 AM

Unfortunately for those of us who are extremely sensitive to gluten ANY cross-contamination can be a problem. And while I'd prefer to think that people/companies are being honest and merely practicing a little CYA, I have had some experiences where this is not the case.

As for Sensodyne....I have been coughing for about a year now, worse and worse, mostly when I lay down at night. (I went gluten-free just over a year ago). None of my doctors have shown any concern or answers. I just get this annoying tickle in my throat. I had given up ALL gluten-free products except Sensodyne. I'm now a Crest and Aquafresh customer. Cough gone!

I am extremely sensitive myself and use SENSODYNE pronamel with no trouble whatsoever.

But if eliminating it has helped you, that's a good thing.

P.S. This thread is old and the original poster may not see it.

You may want to check the dates on the original posts before replying.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#23 TeknoLen

TeknoLen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 09:47 AM

Tom's of Maine, one of the flouride-free options for me.
  • self-dx gluten-sensitive 2007 but did not take it seriously
  • dx autoimmune Graves hyperthyroidism 9-7-11
  • second opinion doctor confirmed autoimmune hyperthyroid dx, suggested possible autoimmune thyroid-gluten sensitivity connection
  • medication-induced hyperthyroid remission 11-4-11
  • lab test dx gluten, casein, ovalbumin, and soy sensitive 12-15-11
  • taking diet seriously now, strict GFCFSF diet...

#24 PennyH

PennyH

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:33 PM

Colgate and Crest, to name two widely available ones, are both gluten-free. I use Crest.

I was just on the Colgate web site and they don't guarantee that their products are gluten free....

#25 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,049 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:12 PM

I was just on the Colgate web site and they don't guarantee that their products are gluten free....

No mainstream manufacturer does. They don't guarantee because they don't test, and a guarantee would expose them to legal liability for an error by one of their suppliers. The products are gluten-free. Focus on what guarantee actually means.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#26 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,376 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:28 AM

Arm and Hammer appears to be okay too.
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#27 rachelb86

rachelb86

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:56 PM

hello im new here so hello everyone! anyone know of a good gluten free mouthwash? i have sensitive gums, and type one diabetes as well as newly diagnosed celiacs... thank you!

#28 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:15 PM

hello im new here so hello everyone! anyone know of a good gluten free mouthwash? i have sensitive gums, and type one diabetes as well as newly diagnosed celiacs... thank you!

Hi Rachel!
I have Sjogren's Syndrome, along with Celiac and suffer from dry mouth. I use Biotene mouthwash and although it is specifically made for those with dry mouth, it has a nice minty flavor that leaves a refreshed taste in the mouth. It also contains the enzymes that are found in saliva to protect your teeth against decay because those with dry mouth are lacking in saliva production. Anyone can use it and it is also alcohol free, which I really like. Let's face it...I want alcohol in my red wine, not in my mouthwash! :P

Hope this helps.

#29 Donnalambert

Donnalambert

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:27 PM

I saw several places where people are using Toms toothpaste when asked if it has soy in it. I emailed the company and got a reply just yesterday that Toms toothpaste DOES have soy in it...it is in the glycern that is one of their first ingredients.

#30 Donnalambert

Donnalambert

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:31 PM

I noticed today that Toms of Main has on their Mouth rinse, that they are gluten free...not sure if all their mouth rinses are, but the one I saw today at the health food store was.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: