This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is It Possible To Get Dh In Genital Area?

glutenmommy

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Yes.

It's often misdiagnosed as herpes, especially if a herpes test comes back positive.

If a herpes test comes back positive it is herpes. You can have both herpes and DH.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

frieze Community Regular

I had to really baby my DH. Before I knew what it was I sprayed an antifungal on it because it seemed to help. I think it helped because it had a numbing agent and it made it feel dry. The numbing part was great, but the dry part wasn't...it ended up making it worse - more irritated.

My best luck was with Vanicream lotion as far as keeping the skin soft and stopping irritation from scabbing.

My DH was under my arms - pits and surrounding area (actually, my actual pits were unaffected - they were white bullseyes in the middle of the red rash). I did have terrible underarm b.o. from it since the scabs captured the stink and clogged up the pores...

I had a brief episode down my butt crack and that was about the time my derm put me on steroids and a wham-bam double antihistimine that was also an antipsychotic - which was pretty handy since I was quickly losing it as the rash grew and itched down my butt. Luckily, when I got off the steroid the rash didn't come back except under my arms...so I don't have any more advice about dealing with DH down yonder.

My advice, baby it with a moisturizing lotion. Ice it (sorry, I know that could be interesting). Try to keep it dry when the blisters pop by airing it out.

I assume a doctor has looked at this rash and excluded other dx? Can you get it biopsied? Can you try dapsone?

Also, it can take a while to drop iodine levels...and some people struggle with one particular iodine source (egg yolks and seaweed were bad for me). In the beginning weird stuff set me off, but I was also newly gluten-free.

Was the "white, bullseye" area, where you put your antipersperant?

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Was the "white, bullseye" area, where you put your antipersperant?

Yes, it was the "official pit area"...I put the deoderant there but it would smear outside the area. :)

The rash was slightly in the outer regions of the pits, but the center-most part of my arm pit was clear. The rash radiated out from that area. It was quite impressive.

YoloGx Rookie

Hi, I know this is a late response--but just saw the thread now.

I also have had intense itching, cracking, scaling skin and hives in the genital area including around the anus--and terrible flaky, scaling, crusty inside of my outer ears.

I used to get small pimples too as a young adult before I was mostly off all gluten--in these areas as well as my back, scalp, neck, and over my breasts. Awful! If I ingest gluten I start getting the pimples again.

The other stuff however which I will call psoriasis and hives, seems to be related to other additional food sensitivities. In me namely salicylates, amines and tannins. Being mostly off the heavy to medium and sometimes even low food chemicals like that, has greatly improved my condition.

Other things that have helped are taking bentonite clay regularly with psyllium husks. I always sprinkle the bentonite on the top of a large mug of water and let sit for at least 4 hours before stirring and drinking. In addition I take an equal amount of psyllium husks freshly mixed in another large mug of water. It absorbs toxic chemicals, heavy metals, and various bacteria and parasites and then carries them out of the body. Its great for better bowel movements too. Just make sure you take it at least 2 hours after eating anything and one hour before you ingest anything new besides water.

I also have found taking small amounts of barberry bark regularly also helps my liver and gall bladder which then in turn helps out my skin and lessens some of my food sensitivities by improving my intestinal health.

Just thought I'd give whomever a heads up in case they go looking for this kind of information.

• 2 months later...
sisterlynr Explorer

Just in case someone reads this "bumped to 2012" posting. . . . My GYN took a biopsy and it was negative for any disease, she just told me didn't know what the problem was. . . sound familiar?

Showering was horrible and I used lots of Vaseline but it didn't help the itch. I used lots of products but eventually tried Prep H - strongest strength and it did provide relief. FYI :) Thankfully that area hasn't been affected for several months!

frieze Community Regular

Yes, it was the "official pit area"...I put the deoderant there but it would smear outside the area. smile.gif

The rash was slightly in the outer regions of the pits, but the center-most part of my arm pit was clear. The rash radiated out from that area. It was quite impressive.

Then i would think it may be the "anti sweat" aspect.....try covering a larger area......
  • 2 months later...
magickgrrrl Newbie

Yes! this is a nightmare Ive been living with for years! I never knew I was gluten intoleratnt., but i kept getting this terrible itching all around my vulva, the crack of my butt, and even inside a little ways. It was exasperated by any moisture at all, bowel movements, menses, and sexual intimacy. It went on for years and the doctors all shook their heads, finding nothing, and some of them quite frankly wouldnt even take me seriously at all. (AS IF I ENJOYED HAVING THEM STUPIDLY PEER UP THE CRACK OF MY BUM< JUST FOR THE HELL OF IT TO WASTE THEIR TIME) ... i was checked for yeast, herpes, parasites, any number of skin disorders, I had the area biopsied, Tried every ointment, cream, and allergy treatment i could get my hands on. It any chance of intimacy I could hope of having in my marriage, and I sunk into deep depression as the outcome spralled out of my control. My therapist was convinced it was a psychosematic condition resulting from some childhood trauma.

After almost 15 years of this nightmare, through some other bloodwork for another illness I was being treated for, the question of celiac arose with my doctor. I wasnt experiencing most of the symptoms associated with it, but after about 6 months of being celiac free, my rash symptoms began to dissipate. Now, if I have even the slightest trace of gluten exposure, the flare ups come right back with a vengeance. I have yet to learn how to successfully lead a completely gluten free existance, and often have relapse. One thing I have found to ease the discomfort when this happens is cleaning the area with very cold water, pure shea butter as a moisture barrier, and taking an anti inflammatory supplement called QBC Plex by Solaray.....its a combination of quercitin, bromelain, and vitamin c. you can get all of these things seperately but together they are a miracle, somehow they suport each other. I usually have the worst time at night when trying to sleep, and have in the past suffered countless sleepless nights from itching. I keep this stuff by the bed, and if Im having a bad night i down some and usually am sleeping soundly withinn about 20 minutes.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived