This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Understanding Lab Test Values

GlutenGuy36

GlutenGuy36 Contributor

Hi I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease on July 14th 2008. I never really understood my lab values so maybe some of you out there that understand it better than me can help me out here. My Celiac Disease Panel with Reflex to Titer, Immunoglobulin A, Serum was 577 mg/dl. I know this is high because it is marked as such with the reference range being 68-378.

The one I don't understand is the Tissue Transglutaminase Ab,IgA which was <20. I don't see a reference range for this one just the number value. So if someone knows about this please send me a reply. I appreciate it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

oceangirl Collaborator

Hi,

I'm not gifted at this so hopefully others will post, but in the ranges given for my anti-tissue transglutiminase test, 19 and under was in the normal range, 20 and over would be in a the positive range.

lisa

GlutenGuy36 Contributor
Hi,

I'm not gifted at this so hopefully others will post, but in the ranges given for my anti-tissue transglutiminase test, 19 and under was in the normal range, 20 and over would be in a the positive range.

lisa

Ok, I wasn't quite sure what that <20 meant. Thanks for the help.

happygirl Collaborator

Did you have a positive biopsy?

According to what you posted, you were negative on the tTG IgA test, and you had an elevated total IgA count (which is not a Celiac test, but part of the panel to differentiate if you have an IgA deficiency). Was there other bloodwork run?

GlutenGuy36 Contributor
Did you have a positive biopsy?

According to what you posted, you were negative on the tTG IgA test, and you had an elevated total IgA count (which is not a Celiac test, but part of the panel to differentiate if you have an IgA deficiency). Was there other bloodwork run?

No, my bi-opsies were inconclusive. I don't know how other than your small intestine is 25 ft long and maybe the areas he took them from were fine. I was having horrible abdominal pains.

It says right on my lab sheet: presence of IgA antibodies against human tTG suggests the possibility of certain gluten sensitive enteropathies such as Celiac Disease and dermetitis herpetiformis.

happygirl Collaborator

Do you have your pathology report from your biopsy?

It may be helpful to find out the reference range from your lab for the tTG.

GlutenGuy36 Contributor

Yes, I will find it and post it on here later. I have to dig through some files.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GlutenGuy36 Contributor

Ok I found my pathology report. They did five bi-opsies. They were of: 1. Termial Ileum (small bowel mucosal with mild specific colonic inflammation), 2. Right Colon ( Colonic mucosa with lymphoid aggregate and mild nonspecific inflammation), 3. Transverse Colon (Colonic mucosa with lymphoid aggregate and mild non specific inflammation), 4. Left Colon ( Colonic mucosa with mild nonspecific inflammation), 5. Rectum ( Colonic mucosa with lymphoid aggregate and mild non specific chronic inflammation.

I also had a Duodenum Giemsa stain which was negative for organisms but the biopsy showed mild nonspecific chronic inflammation. Stomach Biopsy showed mild chronic inflammation, and Giemsa stain was negative for helicobacter organisms.

This is all that is on the two sheets that I have. I don't see a reference range on these to sheets. The other one that I first commented on had a reference IgA range of 68-378 and my value was 577.

It says this: Presence of IgA antibodies against human tTG suggests the possibility of gluten sensitive enteropathies such as celiac disease and dermatitis herpetiformis.

Ok now I see here that my Tissue Transglutaminase ab, IgA is 2 units < 20.

Thanks for your help happy girl. I am just wondering why I still don't feel well after a year gluten free.

Archived