This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Premature Menopause

Waiting

Waiting Newbie

I was just wondering -- for those of you who were diagnosed with premature menopause (or experienced signs of it) before going gluten free, did you return to normal periods after or seem to "recover"? I have used bio-identical hormones for several years because of it, have stopped, and am hopeful now that I am gluten free. Am I hoping for too much???

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Gemini Experienced
I was just wondering -- for those of you who were diagnosed with premature menopause (or experienced signs of it) before going gluten free, did you return to normal periods after or seem to "recover"? I have used bio-identical hormones for several years because of it, have stopped, and am hopeful now that I am gluten free. Am I hoping for too much???

Thanks!

It all depends on your age. I was 45 when my cycle stopped completely, after 7 years of wonky, irregular periods. FYI, my mother was 36 years old when her cycles stopped, never to return. I did not go to doctors about it because they were too busy harassing me about screening tests to actually listen to what I was saying. I knew I did not have cancer or anything bad but thought I was just taking after my mother. My 2 sisters also went through early menopause. All of them have a problem with gluten but only 1 has been smart enough to listen to me. <_<

I was diagnosed with full blown, late stage celiac disease exactly 1 year later and my cycle never returned. I am now 50 years old. I also use bio-identicals for menopausal symptom relief. Personally, and even though menopause can create it's own set of problems, not getting a period is so freeing. No more extremely bad cramps, no more money spent on supplies, and no more fear of a pregnancy I do not want. I dumped into it a bit early but, at 50, am not a 25 year old with no cycle so it depends on how old you are. I would imagine if you are under 35 and become menopausal, that might not make a person too happy and it might indicate another problem with your endocrine system.....nothing serious but an endocrine malfunction or something along those lines.

If your cycle does not start again, I would see a doctor about it but be prepared that it may indeed be early menopause. I am not sure if mine and my female family members went early because of celiac disease and the ensuing deficiencies or because that's the way it happens in my family....a familial thing. Just do not let the doctors scare you because they love to be all gloom and doom about early menopause. It has it's own set of problems but a woman is by no means dead if her periods stop! :P

darlindeb25 Collaborator

I started menopause in my early 40's. My mom had a hysterectomy in her 30's, so I can't go by her. My sister is somewhat going through menopause now, and don't tell her I said this, she is almost 51. By 49, my cycles had stopped completely, which was a blessing for me. They were always so heavy. Then at 51, I had a hysterectomy. As Gemini, it is freeing.

If you question yours, then absolutely see a doctor, find out what they say. With a simple hormone test, they can tell if you are in menopause or not.

Waiting Newbie

I was diagnosed a couple of years ago (around 33), but am suspected to have becom pre-menopausal around age 27(by my doctor). I am one of those Celiacs with a history of miscarriages (6), and was hoping that now, at age 35, maybe I would still have a chance, since we still have no children. I have been hopeful (only been gluten free for two months) that my periods might regulate again. They have never stopped, just come every two to three weeks instead of regularly. My hormone levels did show menopause, but I still have periods, and I have NO symptoms (hot flashes, insomnia, irritability, etc.) other than migraines. I have been a "mystery" to my doctors for so long that they really do not even know what calls to make with me anymore; thus, like many of you, I have taken over my own care! Glad I have found this group to help me out!

ravenwoodglass Mentor

There is a chance at your age that your hormones will 'normalize'. When I was finally diagnosed my OB/GYN did say that if I started to menstrate again not to be concerned. Unfortunately it was to late for my system to 'turn on' again.

I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

Lisa Mentor

I started Peri-symptoms at 35 and after a full ten years, done. I was diagnosed around 50. I haven't a clue if it was Celiac related and I can't check on my family history regarding the lady issues.

ksymonds84 Enthusiast

My mother went in to early menopause because she took a medication called DES (don't know the long name but you can google it) to stop miscarrying with my sister. She didn't take it with me. My mom was all done with menopause by the time she was 45. My sister had a cyst the size of a grapefruit on her ovary when she was 15. She has had many problems throughout life and is now battling with endometriosis with the next step being a hysterectomy. They pretty much stopped using DES in the 60's. My mom had no idea about the DES causing all of this for her and my sister. She is very happy that she went through menopause early though and happy that she didn't lose my sister because she felt she would have without the drug. I've never had any problems with cysts, endo, ect so its worth investigating if you are in the age range to see if your mom has taken this drug.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Waiting Newbie
My mother went in to early menopause because she took a medication called DES (don't know the long name but you can google it) to stop miscarrying with my sister. She didn't take it with me. My mom was all done with menopause by the time she was 45. My sister had a cyst the size of a grapefruit on her ovary when she was 15. She has had many problems throughout life and is now battling with endometriosis with the next step being a hysterectomy. They pretty much stopped using DES in the 60's. My mom had no idea about the DES causing all of this for her and my sister. She is very happy that she went through menopause early though and happy that she didn't lose my sister because she felt she would have without the drug. I've never had any problems with cysts, endo, ect so its worth investigating if you are in the age range to see if your mom has taken this drug.

Thanks. I've been to several different fertility clinics, and all asked out the DES. Other than low hormones and antiphosolipids, I have "infertility of unknown origin and recurrent miscarriages for undetermined reasons." Helpful, huh?

My husband is from Colorado, BTW, and we still go in the summer to visit. LOVE IT!

• 4 months later...
Loulou Newbie

Thanks!

Hi I have a nine year old son but since his birth my periods never normalised and now are non existant I am 43 yrs old.My diagnosis was premature ovarian failur at age 36.5 My mother has been diagnosed celiac late in life( aged 60 but abdo pain for years) but so far my blood tests have been negative.I think I should insist on a endoscopy and biopsy- I think I may be celiac- maybe triggered post partum? I too take bio identical hormones. Has your situation changed since going gluten free- any return of menstrual cycle? I am not gluten free at the moment. Good luck I hope things are working for you as several women have mentioned a strict change in diet has helped. I wasnt ready to let go of my period- still arent, and I would dearly love another child- my friend is pregnant at 43 with her first ( not IVF)

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Hi I have a nine year old son but since his birth my periods never normalised and now are non existant I am 43 yrs old.My diagnosis was premature ovarian failur at age 36.5 My mother has been diagnosed celiac late in life( aged 60 but abdo pain for years) but so far my blood tests have been negative.I think I should insist on a endoscopy and biopsy- I think I may be celiac- maybe triggered post partum? I too take bio identical hormones. Has your situation changed since going gluten free- any return of menstrual cycle? I am not gluten free at the moment. Good luck I hope things are working for you as several women have mentioned a strict change in diet has helped. I wasnt ready to let go of my period- still arent, and I would dearly love another child- my friend is pregnant at 43 with her first ( not IVF)

After you have finished all testing be sure to give the diet a good strict try. Not all of us are picked up by testing but your body will give you the answer.

Swimmr Contributor

Thanks!

It has not happened to me, but that is one MAJOR thing my mom went through. She is now 47 and was told by her doctor that she was going through pre menopause. After being gluten free now for a few years she has returned back to normal :)

However, every once in a while she get's glutened and usually those accidental ones are bad for her. She will have those premenopausal symptoms again. She'll miss her menstrual cycle for that month, hot flashes, etc.

She's been checked out and there is nothing menopausal about her.

Stay positive! :)

jkr Apprentice

My periods came back this summer after not having periods for over a year. I became gluten free this year when I got diagnosed. I think it had something to do with my periods returning. I'm 50 so we will see how long it lasts.

Archived