12 replies to this topic

#1 Becci

Becci

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 08:54 AM

And is there any kind of 'shopping guide' as to what to stay away from, as far as all gluten and/or dairy ingredients?
So, if I am looking at something and something pops up I am not sure about, I can just open my little pocket guide in my purse and see?

Any ideas on that?

And where to get it, if it does exist?

THANKS!!!!

(and if it is cheap enough for me to buy right now)
[becci]

Celiac Disease
ABCDEFG, gummy bears are chasing me. One is red, one is blue, the yellow suckers got my shoe. ABCDEFG, gummy bears are chasing me.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 canadianalli

canadianalli

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 12:18 PM

i would really like to know too! hopefully someone can help with an answer, i think it would be a handy thing to have because theres so many different names for ingredients out there

#3 Becci

Becci

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 12:20 PM

i would really like to know too! hopefully someone can help with an answer, i think it would be a handy thing to have because theres so many different names for ingredients out there

I know! It is rediculous!!!

I have a pad of paper I have to carry around with me everywhere, and I want a little pocket guide or something, so I don't look like an IDIOT...
Well, the main reason is so I don't get glutenized, but the idiot thing works too. :P

haha
[becci]

Celiac Disease
ABCDEFG, gummy bears are chasing me. One is red, one is blue, the yellow suckers got my shoe. ABCDEFG, gummy bears are chasing me.

#4 GlutenGalAZ

GlutenGalAZ

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 12:33 PM

And is there any kind of 'shopping guide' as to what to stay away from, as far as all gluten and/or dairy ingredients?
So, if I am looking at something and something pops up I am not sure about, I can just open my little pocket guide in my purse and see?

Any ideas on that?

And where to get it, if it does exist?

THANKS!!!!

(and if it is cheap enough for me to buy right now)

http://www.ceceliasmarketplace.com/
When I first went gluten free I got the gluten free one (they didn't have the others at the time). It helped me. I still looked at the ingredients but the book helped me find brands and in a way you could say backed me up when I thought it was gluten free. I still look at it off and on when I am getting/looking for something new that I haven't gotten before.
They have an alert page on their site where they try to make a note if something isn't safe anymore so you can mark it off in your book.
Hope this helped some. GOOD LUCK
Rebecca

Partial Gluten Free March 2007
Completely Gluten Free February 2008
Tapioca Starch/Flour Free April 2008
No MSG July 2008
Cut out Nitrates//Nitrites January 2009
Problems with Tomatoes and Potatoes -- Cut out Nightshades Aug '09

#5 Becci

Becci

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 12:40 PM

http://www.ceceliasmarketplace.com/
When I first went gluten free I got the gluten free one (they didn't have the others at the time). It helped me. I still looked at the ingredients but the book helped me find brands and in a way you could say backed me up when I thought it was gluten free. I still look at it off and on when I am getting/looking for something new that I haven't gotten before.
They have an alert page on their site where they try to make a note if something isn't safe anymore so you can mark it off in your book.
Hope this helped some. GOOD LUCK

Is it ingredients as well as foods, though?
[becci]

Celiac Disease

#6 GlutenGalAZ

GlutenGalAZ

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 12:47 PM

Is it ingredients as well as foods, though?

The book is about 6.5"x4.5"x1"
It doesn't give ingredients.
In the book you can look up say Salad Dressing it will then list different companies and under each company it will list their gluten free items. It will not have ALL companies that are out there but a decent amount.
Rebecca

No MSG July 2008

#7 GlutenGalAZ

GlutenGalAZ

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 12:51 PM

There are at least two other main guides, I don't know both of them off hand (haven't used them) but one is Triumph. I know someone commented about them recent so you might be able to do a search on here.

Good Luck. Hope you can find something that works for you =)
Rebecca

No MSG July 2008

#8 Becci

Becci

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 12:59 PM

There are at least two other main guides, I don't know both of them off hand (haven't used them) but one is Triumph. I know someone commented about them recent so you might be able to do a search on here.

Good Luck. Hope you can find something that works for you =)

Thank you, because my hardest problem now is with the ingredient listings...
[becci]

Celiac Disease

#9 Jackie927

Jackie927

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 04:13 PM

I know! It is rediculous!!!

I have a pad of paper I have to carry around with me everywhere, and I want a little pocket guide or something, so I don't look like an IDIOT...
Well, the main reason is so I don't get glutenized, but the idiot thing works too. :P

haha

Thank you so much for asking this question. I did not know it existed. I am trying to order but they are sold out of the gluten/dairy free guide and it won't take my order for the gluten/dairy/ soy free guide. It looks like a great idea.

#10 *Andrea*

*Andrea*

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 03:32 PM

I've found some lists online that have helped me. I think it'd be possible for you to copy and paste the lists into a Word file and print in a small font. Better than nothing... :)

http://glutenfreeingredients.com/ (This website has several lists that might help! Click on the "Guide" tab.)

http://www.celiac.co...3B-Ingredients/

Does anyone know if a thread has been started with links to helpful sites? I have bookmarked several on my computer and would love to share with everyone!

Good luck to us all!

#11 cbear6301

cbear6301

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 04:25 AM

my grocery store sells one... its the canadian celiac association pocket dictionary... I have used that and it has been a great help.. it sold for 6.99.. has nothing but ingredients and their explanations...
Went gluten-free 4-1-09 after years of being sick suggested by a fluke visit to a new chiropractor
I had been sick since I was little but no one ever knew why.
IBS
Migraines
Vertigo
Miscarriages and lost my third child to stillbirth
Liver and Spleen problems
Lactose Intolerance
Anxiety
hair loss
Hypoglycemia
Foggy Brain
Joint pain-diagnosed with Fibromylagia

#12 Becci

Becci

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 04:57 PM

my grocery store sells one... its the canadian celiac association pocket dictionary... I have used that and it has been a great help.. it sold for 6.99.. has nothing but ingredients and their explanations...

Would it work for here in the USA?
[becci]

Celiac Disease

#13 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,072 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 06:18 PM

In a word, yes.

When you drill down to specific ingredients there are no differences between the US and Canada.

The CCA has very recently updated the guide to the third edition. I am still working from the second edition.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: