#1 jknnej

jknnej

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 03:44 PM

I think I may have it...my symptoms are clear cut, but here they are:
heartburn sometimes-I didn't realize what I had was heartburn until the doc told me yesterday. i get chest pain and always thought it was a heart problem!
Nausea
raspy voice (last few months only)
ear aches
anyone think this could be causing my nausea problems? Or does reflux not cause nausea? Doc says it's possible but I would like to know from someone else who has it if they have nausea?
Also, does Nexium or Prevacid help?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 bmorrow

bmorrow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 05:02 PM

I started out my diagnosis journey with acid reflux. Four years ago I started having burning and pain in my chest and back. It was worse at night, after I went to bed. It progressed to the point that I was losing my breath, felt like I was having a heart attack. I finally went to the doctor and after many tests he found that I had GERD. I was treated for a year with Nexium, Prilosec and Prevacid. None of the drugs worked and I now had pneumonia, an inflamed esphogaus, and I could barely talk. The doctors wanted me to have surgery, because they were concerned that I was going to get cancer in my esphogaus or throat. I had a Nissen Fundoliplication two years ago. I didn't have the reflux anymore, but I still had severe GI problems, and that has finally led to the diagnosis of Celiac and Microscopic colitis.

Nausea, earaches, sinus infections, and pneumonia can all be symptons of GERD.

Let me know, if you have anymore questions.

#3 ianm

ianm

Metal God

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 05:42 PM

I used to get severe heartburn and acid reflux. Since going gluten-free I don't get that anymore. Acid reflux and heartburn is basically caused by eating junk. Since I can't eat that anymore the problem is gone.
If all the world is indeed a stage and we are merely players then will someone give me the script because I have no f!@#$%^ clue as to what is going on!

What does not kill you makes you stronger.
Nobody cares about losers and quitters never win. If you fail with the cowards then what's the message you send?
Can't get it right, no matter what I do. Might as well be me and keep fu@$ing up for you. - Brian Thomas (Halloween, the greatest metal band ever!)

Ian Moore. Self diagnosed at 36 because the doctors were clueless.
Started low-carb diet early 2004, felt better but not totally gluten-free. Went 100% gluten-free early 2005 and life has never been better.

#4 jknnej

jknnej

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 08:22 PM

How do you get rid of the nausea?

#5 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 03:27 AM

This has helped me with nausea:
-Teas..peppermint, chamomile, ginger.
-Altoids(peppermint, cinnamon) or other strong mints
-Rice
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#6 rmmadden

rmmadden

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 05:07 AM

My diagnosis also started off as Acid Reflux. I was on Prevacid for 5-months which took care of the heartburn but I was still feeling lousy. That's when I had the Endoscopy and they found the Celiac.

I now take Zantac as needed and try to stay away from acidic & hard to digest foods. I know the chest feeling you describe and also thought in the beginning that it was my heart. But, I've always felt relief from taking either Pepto Bismol, Zantac or Imodium Maximum Strength GasAid which takes away the bloating, full feeling.

I also get relief by taking walks after I eat. I think it helps with digestion. Finally, I sleep with the head of my bed raised 6-inches to help keep the stomach fluids where they belong.

Best Of Luck!
Cleveland Bob B)
"Dreams Are What The Future Is Made Of"

Endoscopy & Blood Work Positive.....
gluten-free Since December 2004.....
Soy Intolerant August 2007......

#7 stef_the_kicking_cuty

stef_the_kicking_cuty

Stef and Luke

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 09:33 PM

I had acid reflux and was diagnosed with GERD before my real diagnosis. I also had heartburn and problems. But all that disappeared on the glutenfree diet.
Stef

Next goals:
Results for 2011:
1x PA State Champ (I defended my title in pointfighting) and also again Grand Champion in pointfighting
August 20-27: Karate and Kickboxing World Championships in Germany (my homecountry)
gluten-free since 07/21/2004
Shermans Dale, PA

#8 Guest_Viola_*

Guest_Viola_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2005 - 07:16 AM

Acid Reflux, or GERD can also be caused by a hiatus hernia, and may not go away with the gluten free diet. Medication/diet and sometimes surgery is required. Keep checking with your doctor if it persists. :rolleyes:

#9 stef_the_kicking_cuty

stef_the_kicking_cuty

Stef and Luke

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 08:24 AM

Yes, you're right, Shirley. That's what I actually ment, but I was a little bit in a hurry yesterday. And so some things came out wrong. I ment, mine went away on the glutenfree diet, but you always should go to your doctor.
Stef

Next goals:
Results for 2011:
1x PA State Champ (I defended my title in pointfighting) and also again Grand Champion in pointfighting
August 20-27: Karate and Kickboxing World Championships in Germany (my homecountry)
Shermans Dale, PA

#10 uclangel422

uclangel422

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 07:56 AM

For the past two years i have been on every acid reducing medication on the market and i am only 24. The best i took was Nexium if you want to take a pill.

I have been strict gluten-free for about two weeks and am starting to see a change in those symptoms. I still take the Nexium but hope to get off of it soon.

Good luck with this.

#11 stef_the_kicking_cuty

stef_the_kicking_cuty

Stef and Luke

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 10:06 AM

Same problem with me here. I had a lot of acid reflux medications, but nothing helped. Couple of weeks on the gluten-free diet worked wonders with me.

Good luck, Stef
Stef

Next goals:
Results for 2011:
Shermans Dale, PA

#12 steadyed

steadyed

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 12:54 PM

My wife is the one with the acid reflux. When she gets an attack she munches on Tums as if they were candy.

Ed

#13 emeraldskies

emeraldskies

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 01:00 AM

I developed acid reflux eight years ago (when I was 19). I had an upper GI and a barium X-ray done, and when doctors couldn't find a clear cause, they called it GERD. Every minute, I was eating Rolaids alternating with cough drops, to relieve the sore throat the reflux caused. The cough drops seemed to cause more reflux, so it was a vicious cycle. Eventually, I had my tonsils removed at the age of 22 because of chronic strep infections. I think overdoing it on the antacids contributed to my osteomalacia. I had to take Prevacid every 24 hours or the reflux would be unbearable, and sometimes it was at this stage at 10 hours or less. After I eliminated gluten and casein from my diet, the reflux completely disappeared. The only time it would recur was when I would accidentally reingest gluten or casein. So, in my case, I think the GERD was caused only by food allergies.
emeraldskies

Diagnosed through EnteroLab in 2004 - malabsorption, antigliadin and antitissue transglutaminase IgA antibodies to gluten, and anti-casein IgA antibodies
HLA-DQ 2,1 (Subtype 2,6)
Gluten and casein free since diagnosis
Autoimmune thyroiditis
Hypocortisolism
Deficient levels of estradiol, estrone, pregnenolone, and testosterone
Low cholesterol (current levels: HDL-39, LDL-58, total-109, triglycerides-59)
Osteoporosis
Atrophic glossitis
Osteomalacia
Ataxia (gait and limb)

"All truth passes through three stages: first it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third it is accepted as self-evident."
- Arthur Schopenhauer

#14 skbird

skbird

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 08:01 AM

Just wanted to mention I found out the hard way that Tums have gluten in them, when I was trying to deal with some acid reflux of my own about a month ago. Took me two weeks to get over the sickness 4 Tums caused me.

Stephanie
Diagnosed by food challenge, 10/04
Gluten-free since 10/04
Gluten-sensitive genes: HLA-DQ 1,3 (Subtype 6,9)
Interstitial Cystitis, 7/07
Fibromyalgia, 6/11

#15 emeraldskies

emeraldskies

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 06:58 PM

Stephanie: That's good to know. Fortunately, I never liked Tums because they never helped my reflux (probably because they were just causing more!). I believe my father is at least gluten intolerant if he doesn't have full-blown celiac disease, but he refuses to get tested and eats Tums regularly.
emeraldskies

Diagnosed through EnteroLab in 2004 - malabsorption, antigliadin and antitissue transglutaminase IgA antibodies to gluten, and anti-casein IgA antibodies
HLA-DQ 2,1 (Subtype 2,6)
Gluten and casein free since diagnosis
Autoimmune thyroiditis
Hypocortisolism
Deficient levels of estradiol, estrone, pregnenolone, and testosterone
Low cholesterol (current levels: HDL-39, LDL-58, total-109, triglycerides-59)
Osteoporosis
Atrophic glossitis
Osteomalacia
Ataxia (gait and limb)

"All truth passes through three stages: first it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third it is accepted as self-evident."
- Arthur Schopenhauer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: