Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Vlasic Pickles

24 posts in this topic

Last night I ate some Vlasic pickles, thinking they were okay. I even googled to see if they were gluten-free, and I saw they were.

But, I woke up this morning feeling like crapola!

I did more googling and saw that they were processed on the same thing as wheat.

Anyone else have this problem?

Ads by Google:
Last night I ate some Vlasic pickles, thinking they were okay. I even googled to see if they were gluten-free, and I saw they were.

But, I woke up this morning feeling like crapola!

I did more googling and saw that they were processed on the same thing as wheat.

Anyone else have this problem?

ALL VLASIC PRODUCTS ARE GLUTEN FREE. I'm sorry that you were ill, perhaps it was something else, or you have other sensitivities.

Would you mind listing the link that indicated they were processes at a facility that also processes wheat?

Early into your recovery, most foods will cause a problem until healing can take place, gluten free or not.

ALL VLASIC PRODUCTS ARE GLUTEN FREE. I'm sorry that you were ill, perhaps it was something else, or you have other sensitivities.

Would you mind listing the link that indicated they were processes at a facility that also processes wheat?

Early into your recovery, most foods will cause a problem until healing can take place, gluten free or not.

"Vlasic pickles are gluten-free but are manufactured on the same lines as gluten-containing foods. "

http://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/index.php?showtopic=20055

Second post down

"Vlasic pickles are gluten-free but are manufactured on the same lines as gluten-containing foods. "

http://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/index.php?showtopic=20055

Second post down

The link you made reference to is over three years old and therefore not dependable for accuracy. Products change frequently. Several years ago, distilled vinegar was not considered safe. Today it is. Please understand that we all are struggling to find what is good for us and what is not. Depending on hearsay information on the internet, it not the source we should depend on.

It might be good to call the company, or write the company at:

Vlasic Consumer Affairs

P.O. Box 91000

Allentown, PA 18109

Here is a direct link to the company, which states it's gluten free status:

http://www.vlasic.com/

(click on About Us and then Q&A)

I am not denying that you may have been ill, but it was not gluten related to the Vlasic Pickles. We do have a few extremely sensitive members here who will react to distilled vinegars, but generally it should not be a problem for most people. I cannot for the world, imagine that pickles would be manufactured on the same lines a wheat products. :blink:

Also, as we continue to be gluten free, it's not uncommon for reaction time to vary. Sometimes that makes it very difficult to pinpoint a gluten issue.

The link you made reference to is over three years old and therefore not dependable for accuracy. Products change frequently. Several years ago, distilled vinegar was not considered safe. Today it is. Please understand that we all are struggling to find what is good for us and what is not. Depending on hearsay information on the internet, it not the source we should depend on.

It might be good to call the company, or write the company at:

Vlasic Consumer Affairs

P.O. Box 91000

Allentown, PA 18109

Here is a direct link to the company, which states it's gluten free status:

http://www.vlasic.com/

(click on About Us and then Q&A)

I am not denying that you may have been ill, but it was not gluten related to the Vlasic Pickles. We do have a few extremely sensitive members here who will react to distilled vinegars, but generally it should not be a problem for most people. I cannot for the world, imagine that pickles would be manufactured on the same lines a wheat products. :blink:

Also, as we continue to be gluten free, it's not uncommon for reaction time to vary. Sometimes that makes it very difficult to pinpoint a gluten issue.

It may have been something else, but that is the only thing I have not eaten before, and I got the reaction two hours after eating it... Which is the normal reaction time for me.

I am very very sensitive to gluten.

It may have been something else, but that is the only thing I have not eaten before, and I got the reaction two hours after eating it... Which is the normal reaction time for me.

There are a few of us who will react to gluten grain alcohols and vinegars. Not many but you may be one of them. If you live near a Wegmans they have a few pickles that are made with nongluten grain vinegars and those are labels as gluten free, the ones with gluten grain distilled vinegar do not carry the gluten-free label. I either get their bread and butter pickles or I make my own.

There are a few of us who will react to gluten grain alcohols and vinegars. Not many but you may be one of them. If you live near a Wegmans they have a few pickles that are made with nongluten grain vinegars and those are labels as gluten free, the ones with gluten grain distilled vinegar do not carry the gluten-free label. I either get their bread and butter pickles or I make my own.

There is something funny about Vlasic pickles with me too.

I can eat ketchup no problem, horseradish, no problem, and plenty of other grain alcohols and vinegars.

I have pickles or things like tartar sauce and I have a problem. I have not tried other brands as of yet. It causes a very unpleasant burning sensation in my nerves and also muscle tension.

I thought it could be sulfates but no issues there.

What I really want t know is if its just a allergic reaction or an anti-immune reaction? If its just allergic I can control my intake and keep enjoying things. If I just have tartar sauce then I get a strange burning sensation in my face for about 25-30 min after I eat depending on what I have.

I can have Thousand Island however with no issue although I've pretty much cut it out except for once per week on a sandwich.

There is something funny about Vlasic pickles with me too.

I can eat ketchup no problem, horseradish, no problem, and plenty of other grain alcohols and vinegars.

I have pickles or things like tartar sauce and I have a problem. I have not tried other brands as of yet. It causes a very unpleasant burning sensation in my nerves and also muscle tension.

I thought it could be sulfates but no issues there.

What I really want t know is if its just a allergic reaction or an anti-immune reaction? If its just allergic I can control my intake and keep enjoying things. If I just have tartar sauce then I get a strange burning sensation in my face for about 25-30 min after I eat depending on what I have.

I can have Thousand Island however with no issue although I've pretty much cut it out except for once per week on a sandwich.

I wonder why it only bothers some and not others?

I wonder why it only bothers some and not others?

Becci,

Just as Celiac Disease manifests itself differently to each person, some of us are simply more sensitive than others. I can't tolerate them either but that doesn't mean that they're not "gluten free" and perfectly fine for many/most. There are a lot of gluten-free processed foods that are problematic to me--I've figured out by trial and error which ones I do well with and stick with those.

Since being gluten-free for 4 years, I've had 2 rounds of Celiac bloodwork and an additional endoscopy/biopsy. All were within normal ranges--even though I remain extremely sensitive and reactive to microscopic (as in cross contamination) amounts of gluten. On paper, I do a great job of sticking to the diet.....however, I remain very careful with foods and topical products not because I think a negligible amount of gluten in a gluten-free food or shampoo is damaging my intestine, but because I don't want to deal with a reaction. It's as simple as that.

My advice for the very sensitive, from my own personal experience, is to stick to whole foods that you prepare yourself as much as possible. For processed foods, buy from the companies who state that they won't hide gluten in other ingredients, and even then--try them out one at a time so you can note any adverse reactions. Don't feel badly if you can't eat all of the "gluten-free" foods.

We're all different and have individual thresholds of what we can tolerate. If something makes you sick, avoid it. :)

I am bothered by vlasic pickles myself and not because of gluten. They are gluten free. The only thing that makes sense to me is that my system is still healing and vinegar is very acidic. When I make salad dressings I've found that rice vinegar is less acidic (slightly sweeter though) and I handle it better than the apple cider one's.

At the genesis of this thread, I contacted Pinnacle Foods, parent company of Vlasic Pickles and inquired about their processing facility. Here is their response:

Thank you for taking the time to inquire about Pinnacle Foods Group, LLC

and the products we produce which may be gluten-free. We appreciate your

interest in our company and our products.

Vinegar used in Vlasic products is corn-based. US authorities no longer

(according to the Celiac Sprue Association) allow vinegar to be distilled

from wheat. The Celiac Sprue Association says that vinegars distilled

from corn are gluten free. There is no gluten (protein from grains, such

as wheat) used in our plant. Vinegar is used to make our products, but it

is not a source of gluten. Vlasic Pepperoncini do not contain any potato,

corn or rice ingredients. The vinegar used in this product is derived

from fermentation of dilute alcohol

Thanks Lisa--I also contacted them and just received their response. I was headed here to post it and saw you had beaten me to it! :)

US authorities no longer (according to the Celiac Sprue Association) allow vinegar to be distilled

from wheat.

I have learned my new thing for the day. Thank you Momma Goose :)

You know, there's a lot of preservatives/additives in pickles... not just vinegar. Perhaps that is causing a reaction??? Just a thought...

Ummm . . . yeah . . . pickles don't agree with me either . . . because they are . . . PICKLES . . . blech :P

Mom used to put relish in her chicken salad . . . I got into big-time trouble once for trying to flush a chicken salad sandwich down the toilet. :rolleyes::lol:

OK . . . back to your regularly scheduled program . . .

At the genesis of this thread, I contacted Pinnacle Foods, parent company of Vlasic Pickles and inquired about their processing facility. Here is their response:

Thank you for taking the time to inquire about Pinnacle Foods Group, LLC

and the products we produce which may be gluten-free. We appreciate your

interest in our company and our products.

Vinegar used in Vlasic products is corn-based. US authorities no longer

(according to the Celiac Sprue Association) allow vinegar to be distilled

from wheat. The Celiac Sprue Association says that vinegars distilled

from corn are gluten free. There is no gluten (protein from grains, such

as wheat) used in our plant. Vinegar is used to make our products, but it

is not a source of gluten. Vlasic Pepperoncini do not contain any potato,

corn or rice ingredients. The vinegar used in this product is derived

from fermentation of dilute alcohol

Sounds pretty conclusive that the pickles are without a doubt gluten-free. Something else is happening.

richard

I have just been diagnosed with Celiac's and I am very sensitive. I have been eating gluten-free for 2 weeks and Vlasic pickles are also giving me symptoms. Actually, all products containing white or balsamic vinegar are giving me symptoms. I also react to vodka, which is distilled, so it's not supposed to cause problems, but it does for me. My doctor said I am the worst case he's ever seen. Ha!

I am bothered by vlasic pickles myself and not because of gluten. They are gluten free. The only thing that makes sense to me is that my system is still healing and vinegar is very acidic. When I make salad dressings I've found that rice vinegar is less acidic (slightly sweeter though) and I handle it better than the apple cider one's.

This is a very good point! Thank you for mentioning it. I never thought of that. I am definitely still in the healing process (beginning stages), so the acidity might be causing my problems too. I was thinking about pickling my own this summer though. I think I might still try it just for fun. Anyone have any good pickle recipes? :-)

This is a very good point! Thank you for mentioning it. I never thought of that. I am definitely still in the healing process (beginning stages), so the acidity might be causing my problems too. I was thinking about pickling my own this summer though. I think I might still try it just for fun. Anyone have any good pickle recipes? :-)

Hi Kristinagaro, and Welcome to the Forum

FYI, this thread is close to six years old and these posters may be gone.  Also, why don't you swing over to the Food thread and ask for a pickle recipe there as a new topic.  You will get many more responses.  

Welcome again and Good Luck,

Colleen

This was a thread about canning from this summer. You might look at it. They seemed to be pickleing the things they were canning.

http://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/topic/102776-any-canners-out-there/

Hi Kristinagaro, and Welcome to the Forum

FYI, this thread is close to six years old and these posters may be gone.  Also, why don't you swing over to the Food thread and ask for a pickle recipe there as a new topic.  You will get many more responses.  

Welcome again and Good Luck,

Colleen

Thank you!

I just ate a Vlassic pickle and everything else was the same in my sandwich as yesterday, it was the only thing different and it made me sick within 1/2 hour from eating it.  I would guess it is not gluten free.

I just ate a Vlassic pickle and everything else was the same in my sandwich as yesterday, it was the only thing different and it made me sick within 1/2 hour from eating it.  I would guess it is not gluten free.

I have never seen a pickle with gluten.  Sorry that pickles bother you.  I find that some days vinegar is a bit harsh on my stomach.  Perhaps that was the problem?

I can't have vinegar, not due to gluten but I've realized I have a problem with yeast. (It aggravates my rosacea, and in some cases makes me incredibly nauseated) Also, because I am considering the fact that I might have a corn intolerance, I've read that Vlasic pickles contain high fructose corn syrup. Maybe you have a yeast or corn issue?