23 replies to this topic

#1 Becci

Becci

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 06:46 AM

Last night I ate some Vlasic pickles, thinking they were okay. I even googled to see if they were gluten-free, and I saw they were.

But, I woke up this morning feeling like crapola!

I did more googling and saw that they were processed on the same thing as wheat.

Anyone else have this problem?
[becci]

Celiac Disease
ABCDEFG, gummy bears are chasing me. One is red, one is blue, the yellow suckers got my shoe. ABCDEFG, gummy bears are chasing me.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 07:03 AM

Last night I ate some Vlasic pickles, thinking they were okay. I even googled to see if they were gluten-free, and I saw they were.

But, I woke up this morning feeling like crapola!

I did more googling and saw that they were processed on the same thing as wheat.

Anyone else have this problem?

ALL VLASIC PRODUCTS ARE GLUTEN FREE. I'm sorry that you were ill, perhaps it was something else, or you have other sensitivities.

Would you mind listing the link that indicated they were processes at a facility that also processes wheat?

Early into your recovery, most foods will cause a problem until healing can take place, gluten free or not.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 Becci

Becci

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 11:52 AM

ALL VLASIC PRODUCTS ARE GLUTEN FREE. I'm sorry that you were ill, perhaps it was something else, or you have other sensitivities.

Would you mind listing the link that indicated they were processes at a facility that also processes wheat?

Early into your recovery, most foods will cause a problem until healing can take place, gluten free or not.

"Vlasic pickles are gluten-free but are manufactured on the same lines as gluten-containing foods. "

http://www.celiac.co...showtopic=20055

Second post down
[becci]

Celiac Disease
ABCDEFG, gummy bears are chasing me. One is red, one is blue, the yellow suckers got my shoe. ABCDEFG, gummy bears are chasing me.

#4 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 12:11 PM

"Vlasic pickles are gluten-free but are manufactured on the same lines as gluten-containing foods. "

http://www.celiac.co...showtopic=20055

Second post down

The link you made reference to is over three years old and therefore not dependable for accuracy. Products change frequently. Several years ago, distilled vinegar was not considered safe. Today it is. Please understand that we all are struggling to find what is good for us and what is not. Depending on hearsay information on the internet, it not the source we should depend on.

It might be good to call the company, or write the company at:

Vlasic Consumer Affairs
P.O. Box 91000
Allentown, PA 18109

Here is a direct link to the company, which states it's gluten free status:

http://www.vlasic.com/

(click on About Us and then Q&A)

I am not denying that you may have been ill, but it was not gluten related to the Vlasic Pickles. We do have a few extremely sensitive members here who will react to distilled vinegars, but generally it should not be a problem for most people. I cannot for the world, imagine that pickles would be manufactured on the same lines a wheat products. :blink:

Also, as we continue to be gluten free, it's not uncommon for reaction time to vary. Sometimes that makes it very difficult to pinpoint a gluten issue.
Lisa

#5 Becci

Becci

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 12:24 PM

The link you made reference to is over three years old and therefore not dependable for accuracy. Products change frequently. Several years ago, distilled vinegar was not considered safe. Today it is. Please understand that we all are struggling to find what is good for us and what is not. Depending on hearsay information on the internet, it not the source we should depend on.

It might be good to call the company, or write the company at:

Vlasic Consumer Affairs
P.O. Box 91000
Allentown, PA 18109

Here is a direct link to the company, which states it's gluten free status:

http://www.vlasic.com/

(click on About Us and then Q&A)

I am not denying that you may have been ill, but it was not gluten related to the Vlasic Pickles. We do have a few extremely sensitive members here who will react to distilled vinegars, but generally it should not be a problem for most people. I cannot for the world, imagine that pickles would be manufactured on the same lines a wheat products. :blink:

Also, as we continue to be gluten free, it's not uncommon for reaction time to vary. Sometimes that makes it very difficult to pinpoint a gluten issue.

It may have been something else, but that is the only thing I have not eaten before, and I got the reaction two hours after eating it... Which is the normal reaction time for me.
I am very very sensitive to gluten.
[becci]

Celiac Disease

#6 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,677 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 03:58 AM

It may have been something else, but that is the only thing I have not eaten before, and I got the reaction two hours after eating it... Which is the normal reaction time for me.
I am very very sensitive to gluten.

There are a few of us who will react to gluten grain alcohols and vinegars. Not many but you may be one of them. If you live near a Wegmans they have a few pickles that are made with nongluten grain vinegars and those are labels as gluten free, the ones with gluten grain distilled vinegar do not carry the gluten-free label. I either get their bread and butter pickles or I make my own.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#7 Eric_C

Eric_C

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 07:40 AM

There are a few of us who will react to gluten grain alcohols and vinegars. Not many but you may be one of them. If you live near a Wegmans they have a few pickles that are made with nongluten grain vinegars and those are labels as gluten free, the ones with gluten grain distilled vinegar do not carry the gluten-free label. I either get their bread and butter pickles or I make my own.

There is something funny about Vlasic pickles with me too.

I can eat ketchup no problem, horseradish, no problem, and plenty of other grain alcohols and vinegars.

I have pickles or things like tartar sauce and I have a problem. I have not tried other brands as of yet. It causes a very unpleasant burning sensation in my nerves and also muscle tension.

I thought it could be sulfates but no issues there.

What I really want t know is if its just a allergic reaction or an anti-immune reaction? If its just allergic I can control my intake and keep enjoying things. If I just have tartar sauce then I get a strange burning sensation in my face for about 25-30 min after I eat depending on what I have.

I can have Thousand Island however with no issue although I've pretty much cut it out except for once per week on a sandwich.

#8 Becci

Becci

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 07:57 AM

There is something funny about Vlasic pickles with me too.

I can eat ketchup no problem, horseradish, no problem, and plenty of other grain alcohols and vinegars.

I have pickles or things like tartar sauce and I have a problem. I have not tried other brands as of yet. It causes a very unpleasant burning sensation in my nerves and also muscle tension.

I thought it could be sulfates but no issues there.

What I really want t know is if its just a allergic reaction or an anti-immune reaction? If its just allergic I can control my intake and keep enjoying things. If I just have tartar sauce then I get a strange burning sensation in my face for about 25-30 min after I eat depending on what I have.

I can have Thousand Island however with no issue although I've pretty much cut it out except for once per week on a sandwich.

I wonder why it only bothers some and not others?
[becci]

Celiac Disease

#9 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 08:27 AM

I wonder why it only bothers some and not others?

Becci,

Just as Celiac Disease manifests itself differently to each person, some of us are simply more sensitive than others. I can't tolerate them either but that doesn't mean that they're not "gluten free" and perfectly fine for many/most. There are a lot of gluten-free processed foods that are problematic to me--I've figured out by trial and error which ones I do well with and stick with those.

Since being gluten-free for 4 years, I've had 2 rounds of Celiac bloodwork and an additional endoscopy/biopsy. All were within normal ranges--even though I remain extremely sensitive and reactive to microscopic (as in cross contamination) amounts of gluten. On paper, I do a great job of sticking to the diet.....however, I remain very careful with foods and topical products not because I think a negligible amount of gluten in a gluten-free food or shampoo is damaging my intestine, but because I don't want to deal with a reaction. It's as simple as that.

My advice for the very sensitive, from my own personal experience, is to stick to whole foods that you prepare yourself as much as possible. For processed foods, buy from the companies who state that they won't hide gluten in other ingredients, and even then--try them out one at a time so you can note any adverse reactions. Don't feel badly if you can't eat all of the "gluten-free" foods.

We're all different and have individual thresholds of what we can tolerate. If something makes you sick, avoid it. :)
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#10 ksymonds84

ksymonds84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 09:21 AM

I am bothered by vlasic pickles myself and not because of gluten. They are gluten free. The only thing that makes sense to me is that my system is still healing and vinegar is very acidic. When I make salad dressings I've found that rice vinegar is less acidic (slightly sweeter though) and I handle it better than the apple cider one's.
Kathy

Gluten free 3/08
Negative blood work/positive endoscopy
Fructose Malabsorption
Soy free

#11 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 02:51 PM

At the genesis of this thread, I contacted Pinnacle Foods, parent company of Vlasic Pickles and inquired about their processing facility. Here is their response:

Thank you for taking the time to inquire about Pinnacle Foods Group, LLC
and the products we produce which may be gluten-free. We appreciate your
interest in our company and our products.

Vinegar used in Vlasic products is corn-based. US authorities no longer
(according to the Celiac Sprue Association) allow vinegar to be distilled
from wheat. The Celiac Sprue Association says that vinegars distilled
from corn are gluten free. There is no gluten (protein from grains, such
as wheat) used in our plant. Vinegar is used to make our products, but it
is not a source of gluten. Vlasic Pepperoncini do not contain any potato,
corn or rice ingredients. The vinegar used in this product is derived
from fermentation of dilute alcohol not from any grain, fruit or
vegetable.

We appreciate the time you've taken to share your specific concerns with
us, as it helps us to become aware of consumer needs. Thank you again for
your contact.

Sincerely,

Dawn Murray
Consumer Insights Representative
Lisa

#12 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 03:15 PM

Thanks Lisa--I also contacted them and just received their response. I was headed here to post it and saw you had beaten me to it! :)
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#13 lizard00

lizard00

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 03:21 PM

US authorities no longer (according to the Celiac Sprue Association) allow vinegar to be distilled
from wheat.

I have learned my new thing for the day. Thank you Momma Goose :)

You know, there's a lot of preservatives/additives in pickles... not just vinegar. Perhaps that is causing a reaction??? Just a thought...
Be yourself, everyone else is taken.
Oscar Wilde

Gluten free November 2007
IgA Deficient, Neg Bloodwork, Double DQ2 Positive
Dietary and Genetic Diagnosis June 2, 2008
Soy free Jan 09

#14 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 04:52 PM

Ummm . . . yeah . . . pickles don't agree with me either . . . because they are . . . PICKLES . . . blech :P

Mom used to put relish in her chicken salad . . . I got into big-time trouble once for trying to flush a chicken salad sandwich down the toilet. :rolleyes: :lol:

OK . . . back to your regularly scheduled program . . .
Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Posted Image

#15 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 04:59 PM

At the genesis of this thread, I contacted Pinnacle Foods, parent company of Vlasic Pickles and inquired about their processing facility. Here is their response:

Thank you for taking the time to inquire about Pinnacle Foods Group, LLC
and the products we produce which may be gluten-free. We appreciate your
interest in our company and our products.

Vinegar used in Vlasic products is corn-based. US authorities no longer
(according to the Celiac Sprue Association) allow vinegar to be distilled
from wheat. The Celiac Sprue Association says that vinegars distilled
from corn are gluten free. There is no gluten (protein from grains, such
as wheat) used in our plant. Vinegar is used to make our products, but it
is not a source of gluten. Vlasic Pepperoncini do not contain any potato,
corn or rice ingredients. The vinegar used in this product is derived
from fermentation of dilute alcohol not from any grain, fruit or
vegetable.

We appreciate the time you've taken to share your specific concerns with
us, as it helps us to become aware of consumer needs. Thank you again for
your contact.

Sincerely,

Dawn Murray
Consumer Insights Representative

For further qualifications:

http://www.csaceliac...ten_choices.php
Vinegars

FOUNDATION STAGE:
Balsamic, apple cider and wine vinegars. NOTE: In the U.S. when the terms Vinegar, Cider Vinegar, and Apple Vinegar are on a food label they must be made from apples. (Code of Federal Regulations [CFR] Title 21, Sec. 525.825, revised March 1995.)
Lisa

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: