This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Left Side "discomfort"?

TiffLuvsBread

TiffLuvsBread Rookie

Hi Everyone,

I have seen some people comment about this in unrelated threads but I would like to try to get a bit deeper on this and have it's own thread, because what other people were saying piqued my interest as I never assumed it might be linked to gluten before.

On my left side (like actually my side, not just the side of my stomach), I sometimes find this discomfort (not 'pain'), as I describe to my fiance I say that it feels like my bottom rib and hip are almost "touching." That's the best I can describe it. I stretch far to the right to try to stretch it out, sometimes I find myself pressing my hand into my side, nothing helps but it's almost an involuntary reaction to try to "stretch" it out. I have scoliosis, so I assumed this was related to that (the spine curving and pushing the ribs and hips closer together on that side perhaps). However in posts long ago that I accidentally came across while people were talking about belly pain, some people seemed to possibly be describing this - so as I said I want to try to get a bit deeper on the subject and see if this might possibly be related to gluten.

I have been on a gluten-free diet for over 1 month and take the diet very seriously and strictly. It helps me more than I can describe. I was severely glutened this weekend THREE times (I typically eat very very strictly and make my own food). That's a different thread, but I've had it rough for a few days. I definitely felt the "rib and hip touching" feeling and still feel it now, as my stomach is still feeling the effects as well. After the last month I haven't really felt it but felt it regularly before going gluten-free.

Anyone out there who knows what I am talking about? Can you relate?

Tiff :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

LisaaaNoel Explorer

Let me start by saying I have NOT been officially diagnosed with celiac. I was diagnosed with IBS, but sometimes question the validity. The left side rib discomfort is the one symptom that started everything for me.

I started having that discomfort (left side right below the ribs and it feels like there is something pushing up against my ribs, or that my ribs are laying on something, as you know, very hard to explain. I feel it on my side too, but also it wraps around toward my abdomen. Never feel it on my right side though.) 2 weeks after feeling this, I began to have digestive issues. Since then, I have more discomfort than just the rib pain, cramping, and restroom related issues. I have been dealing with this for about a year.

When I went to the doctor, I had an ultra sound done, a chest and abdominal xray, and blood work done (not a celiac test though unfortunately.) They were unable to find anything and gave me the ol' IBS diagnosis. But like I said, I was not tested for celiac.

So, have you gotten relief from the discomfort by follwing a gluten free diet? How long did it take for you to notice improvement?

TiffLuvsBread Rookie
So, have you gotten relief from the discomfort by follwing a gluten free diet? How long did it take for you to notice improvement?

YES I haven't felt it for the last month since going on the gluten-free diet. When starting gluten-free I felt completely better almost immediately. I'm talking the next day, in terms of all pain and gas and restroom issues as well. But I was sick all weekend from being glutened and the discomfort on the left definitely returned and I still feel it right now (also have a migraine).

VERY interesting! Thanks for your reply..

LisaaaNoel Explorer
YES I haven't felt it for the last month since going on the gluten-free diet. When starting gluten-free I felt completely better almost immediately. I'm talking the next day, in terms of all pain and gas and restroom issues as well. But I was sick all weekend from being glutened and the discomfort on the left definitely returned and I still feel it right now (also have a migraine).

VERY interesting! Thanks for your reply..

I've been on a gluten free diet for about a week and haven't noticed any relief. We'll see if I improve over time or not..

SlamDuncan Newbie

Well now...

Just back from a blood test today, hopefully to finally sort out almost precisely what you've described.

On and off for the past year, I've had serious digestive problems but it all began with the dull, gnawing discomfort on my left side, just under my ribs. It's a horrible feeling, and one that most of the doctors I've been to see do not take seriously. Kind of forgotten what normal digestive health is like to be honest. This past week has been a really bad spell though and I THINK I have linked it to gluten. Seriously C'ed.

Also, I used to be pretty naturally slender, but along with the pain in my side came some pretty rapid weight gain and a struggle with weight ever since. Hurray! Ha. Could be gluten linked?! Who knows!? Yet, anyway.

Fingers crossed that I manage to get this diagnosed.

Not a happy bunny.

oceangirl Collaborator

When glutened I have left side pain; I describe it as a "stitch" and its severity depends on how bad the glutening is. Before diagnosis this was one of the most intense of 26 lovely symptoms and I would describe it as abject pain. I think it may have something to do with the descending colon being on your left side and, as you may find if you research this site, many people seem to have had this symptom. It does NOT tend to occur on my right side.

Feel better,

lisa

ang1e0251 Contributor

I guess I'm weird because I get it on my right side. It is gluten related but any grain can kick it up, usually a mild reaction if it's not gluten. BCD, I complained of this to my dr, usually I kept most of my symptoms to myself as I seemed to get nowhere, he sent me immediately for a chest x-ray. I have a very pretty set of lungs! It's where I used to get gall bladder pain till it was removed.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

JBaby Enthusiast

Yes I ahve felt that pain same side. dont know why. I dont know what to tell you except that you are NOT crazy. Hope you find the answers you need. Right now I am very very very very itchy. Ate pizza hut pizza. Bad bad girl.

Seamuskitty Rookie
Hi Everyone,

I have seen some people comment about this in unrelated threads but I would like to try to get a bit deeper on this and have it's own thread, because what other people were saying piqued my interest as I never assumed it might be linked to gluten before.

On my left side (like actually my side, not just the side of my stomach), I sometimes find this discomfort (not 'pain'), as I describe to my fiance I say that it feels like my bottom rib and hip are almost "touching." That's the best I can describe it. I stretch far to the right to try to stretch it out, sometimes I find myself pressing my hand into my side, nothing helps but it's almost an involuntary reaction to try to "stretch" it out. I have scoliosis, so I assumed this was related to that (the spine curving and pushing the ribs and hips closer together on that side perhaps). However in posts long ago that I accidentally came across while people were talking about belly pain, some people seemed to possibly be describing this - so as I said I want to try to get a bit deeper on the subject and see if this might possibly be related to gluten.

I have been on a gluten-free diet for over 1 month and take the diet very seriously and strictly. It helps me more than I can describe. I was severely glutened this weekend THREE times (I typically eat very very strictly and make my own food). That's a different thread, but I've had it rough for a few days. I definitely felt the "rib and hip touching" feeling and still feel it now, as my stomach is still feeling the effects as well. After the last month I haven't really felt it but felt it regularly before going gluten-free.

Tiff,

I can relate!! I think I am having the exact symptoms you are describing. I am still waiting for my official diagnosis--had my endoscopy a couple of weeks ago and will see the doctor in one more week. Meanwhile I am eating what I think is a gluten-free diet. I have cleaned out my kitchen of all gluten, wheat and anything that has ever touched gluten!

But every day I have the same wretched pain in my left side. It wraps around my side and up to my shoulder. I am also very bloated and it feels like gas is trapped right where the pain is.

When I stretch out my side I can even hear the gas gurgling and moving. If I relax and breath I eventually "deflate"! It is extremely uncomfortable. I am not sure what I am eating that is causing this. I am seriously thinking of doing a fast of some sort to break the cycle I am in. I can't bear it!

What is happening? What causes this pain? Many of my other symptoms are gone, I am not itchy, my hands and face aren't swollen any more. I am not running to the bathroom every 5 minutes for hours. But I am still so very uncomfortable with this specific pain in my left side right under my ribs!

Thanks for bringing up this question Tiff. I have been so worried and it makes me feel a bit better knowing that others are dealing with something similar. Hopefully there is a way to get relief?

Julie

lisa-123 Newbie

i have also been having the exact same symptoms

it all started about 3 weeks ago, i started to get intense pain on my left side. The pain starts from about my rib cage and ends around my hip bone, the pain also stretches to around my back. The best way i can describe the pain is dull aching pain that NEVER and i mean NEAVER goes away!!!!!! The pain was really bad last week i had to go to the ER.

Other symptoms that i have are extreme bloating, nausea, im always tried and always sore!!!! This has been going on for a long time and have been getting misdiagnosed with so many other things for the past 5 years. I had a test for celiacs the other day and it came back negative :D But i still have to go in for an endoscope in a few days because there are other tests that i need to have done, i guess i will have to wait and see what the results are. If not celiacs then it has to be that im Gluten intolerant

I have been Gluten free for about 2 weeks now and i feel like a different person, most of my symptoms are now gone!!!! it is amazing at how quickly your body can heal itself!!!!!

anyone else have similar issues as mine? would love t get some feedback

Generic Apprentice

Ang1e most likely what you are feeling is sphincter of oddi dysfunction. I have the same pain every day. It started with my gall bladder, I had it removed and the pain hasn't gone away. It has been over a year and a half. SOD is where your bile duct for your liver and or pancreas spasms.

Sparkle1988 Rookie

I also get this pain in my left hand side. I have it most of the time. Its mainly under the rib but comes right down to my hip and round my lower back a bit. I have not been diagnosed with celiac, but I am getting a biopsy done on Friday. I can't wait to get my results to be honest......... would be good if I could put a name to my pain, and also know how to treat it.

lisa-123 Newbie
I also get this pain in my left hand side. I have it most of the time. Its mainly under the rib but comes right down to my hip and round my lower back a bit. I have not been diagnosed with celiac, but I am getting a biopsy done on Friday. I can't wait to get my results to be honest......... would be good if I could put a name to my pain, and also know how to treat it.

Sparkle1998 was just wondering how your test results went? i also had a endoscope done yesterday to try and figure out what's going on with me hopefully get the results back soon

Sparkle1988 Rookie
Sparkle1998 was just wondering how your test results went? i also had a endoscope done yesterday to try and figure out what's going on with me hopefully get the results back soon

Hi lisa_123

I also had a negative blood test for Celiac (although the doctor only did one part of the test so it wasn't even the full test!) I have not had my biopsy yet - I get this done on Friday and I can't wait to get it done and receive my results.

How long are your results going to take? Hospital results take forever in the UK so I won't be surprised if I need to wait a few weeks for my results.

I have never been gluten free before but I am going to attempt the diet once I have had my biopsy.

lisa-123 Newbie
Hi lisa_123

I also had a negative blood test for Celiac (although the doctor only did one part of the test so it wasn't even the full test!) I have not had my biopsy yet - I get this done on Friday and I can't wait to get it done and receive my results.

How long are your results going to take? Hospital results take forever in the UK so I won't be surprised if I need to wait a few weeks for my results.

I have never been gluten free before but I am going to attempt the diet once I have had my biopsy.

Hi Sparkle1988,

They also tested me for celiac and it came back negative (they also only did one part of the test on me) They told me that the test results will take about 10 days, so i have 8 days left:)

I have been Gluten free now for about 3 weeks and i have never felt better. It was hard for me to imagine that just changing the way i ate would help with all my symptoms and pain, but it did. I really hope that my results come back as negative to celiacs as i really don't want to have this, although i think im gluten intolerant (that i can live with) but either way i will be fine with what they say.

How long have you had your symptoms for? does it run in your family?

MissyJoy Rookie
Hi Everyone,

This was the symptom that bothered me the most right as I was eating (before I went gluten free). I knew it couldn't be the food in my mouth causing the pain because it hadn't had the chance to get that far - like you said, the pain was on my left side under my last rib and towards my hip. When I was researching about gluten intolerance, I was surprised to find out that the troubles were in the small intestines. I am no doctor but by the look of the diagrams of the human body, it looked like my small intestines were right where my pain was. I assumed that it must be spasming or having some kind of issue from previous meals passing through. When I went gluten free, the pain went away and hasn't been back. So I know its related. Can anyone confirm my theory?

Sparkle1988 Rookie
Hi Sparkle1988,

They also tested me for celiac and it came back negative (they also only did one part of the test on me) They told me that the test results will take about 10 days, so i have 8 days left:)

I have been Gluten free now for about 3 weeks and i have never felt better. It was hard for me to imagine that just changing the way i ate would help with all my symptoms and pain, but it did. I really hope that my results come back as negative to celiacs as i really don't want to have this, although i think im gluten intolerant (that i can live with) but either way i will be fine with what they say.

How long have you had your symptoms for? does it run in your family?

Hi Lisa_123

Celiac doesn't run in my family, but there are a few people in my family who have 'IBS' and they have just accepted that as a diagnosis. Who knows maybe they are actually celiac? I was told I have IBS but I don't think it is that as I have too many symptoms.

My symptoms (that I can think of at the moment) are: Headaches, diarrhea or loose stools, constipation, constantly tired especially after eating a meal, bone and joint pains, muscles twitches, cramping and sharp pains in my stomach, bloating, burning sensation in my stomach, wind or trapped wind, nausea, feeling dizzy, tingling in hands and feet, sores in mouth, itchy skin, dehydration and always feeling hungry, loss of tooth enamel over the last few years, foggy brain, depression and moodswings (mood can change so quickly), find it hard to gain weight (I am under weight but always have been), low iron and b12.

Sorry for the long list.................... thats the ones I can think of. Those symptoms can come and go but there are a good few of them that I get every day. What are your symptoms?

• 1 month later...
AJ-nyc Newbie

Hello Everyone!

This is my first post here. I've suspected that I may be having gluten related issues for some time. I had blood work done to test for Celiac yesterday, and I'll be having an endoscopy/biopsy done in three more days. I noticed this thread focused on left side pain and had to respond.

I'm 33, a female, and have been healthy my whole life until a year ago when I started having severe pain in my left abdomen, between my ribs and hip bone. I call it a "stitch." It is only on the left. It has been the first of many odd pains, and has been the most predominant pain. Then, 6 months ago, I started having nausea once or twice a week, then every day, then 24/7. I started getting weak, lost energy, had severe headaches. I also started experiencing bloating, gas, loose stools, extreme fullness after eating only a little bit, as well as cramps, as if iron bands are encircling my waist, squeezing and cutting tight. The sharpest pain is always on my left side, though.

Other symptoms I have include stomach grumbling, rumbling, loud digestion, swollen stomach after. If I eat something with whole wheat, such as whole wheat bread, I feel as though I am digesting shards of glass. I can feel many sharp things moving slowly, almost scraping along painfully in my intestines. The digestion of this "glass" takes forever... I feel it moving through the intestines for up to 6 hours or more. It's loud and noisy.

I have lost over 20 lbs over 2 months, and have not been able to gain it back over 6 months. I've always been thin, but usually weigh 110 or 115... I went down to 92 lbs. I was diagnosed with Vitamin D deficiency (18) less than a month ago. Apparently, this low vit. D led to secondary hyperparathyroidism (PTH 127) which I've had for the last few months. I also struggle with infertility and possible PCOS. When my vitmain D was low, I had severe muscle aches... my muscles felt like jello and I could barely walk. I had severe fatigue and weakness and felt like I was in the body of a 90 yr. old woman. Was dizzy, felt like passing out, loosing consciousness, room spun, was confused, unable to think clearly, and I was loosing hair. It's hard for me to hold on to simple things without dropping them. My grasp is weak, and it's hard to walk without bumping into things. My speech is garbled, and I struggle with saying complete sentences without switching words or word endings that make no sense. I forget simple things, and feel confused. This has only been going on the last 6 months or so.... before that I was organized and had focus and clearer thinking, no depression or anything.

I have an aunt with Celiac and a sister with Chrone's disease. As a kid, I was quite healthy. I do remember that at age 11, my mom bought a bread maker and made home-made whole wheat bread that she loved using often. She "made" my whole family eat only this super healthy whole wheat bread for some time. I remember complaining that I felt cramps when I ate the bread, felt dizzy, and lost energy. So my mom said, Ok... don't eat the bread then. So she packed my lunch every day with that bread, and every day before school I fed it to the neighbor's dog, hoping my mom wasn't watching through a window.

My mom thought I was autistic when I was a baby, and then later she asked me if I thought I was autistic when I was 9. I had no clue. As a kid I was severely underweight, was clumsy, uncoordinated, bumped into things (shut doors on my face or closed cupboards on my face by accident). The clumsiness is worse now, though than when I was younger. Also, as a kid I mixed up words when I spoke, putting the wrong endings on words. It is worse now. I sound like I am mentally challenged when I speak, but I'm not (I hope not!) I am actually a teacher in a public school.

When I brought up the idea of Celiac to my doctor, she laughed at me. She asked if I had diareha, which I didn't. She chuckled more and dismissed me. I went to another doctor and told him about my suspicians regarding celiac, and he asked me what I had to eat that day. I said whole wheat cereal and soy milk. He asked what happened after I ate, and i told him that within minutes I was nauseas, and was on the verge of throwing up, and that my stomach felt really full although I ate only a little. He laughed at me and said that I did not have celiac because it takes a few hours, not minutes for the food to digest. He said my issues were emotional, and sent me on my way. (I've kept a food journal since and found that after drinking/eating dairy or soy I get nausea right away, to the point of vomiting... but with gluten, the symptoms take a few hours to show up and include getting gassy, bloated, crampy, etc.) After this I put myself on a gluten free diet for almost 3 weeks, because both doctors refused to send me for blood tests and I wanted to really test myself to see if eating gluten-free provided relief. Within days of eating gluten-free, I felt considerably better, but it took some time to realize that my nausea was a direct result of dairy and soy. I've never had issues with soy or dairy before. I did some research and learned that people with blunted villi might have issues absorbing dairy?

After "bugging" my doctor more, I was finally sent to an endocrinologist (a month ago). The endocrinologist old me I was vitamin D defficient, according to a test my regular doctor gave me 2 months prior. That doctor never sent me the results, but when I asked, she said my vitamin D was normal. After I learned that my vitamin D was low, I asked my endocrinologist if he thought I was having malabsorption issues. I told him about my aunt with Celiac, and how I had responded well to a few weeks going gluten free. This endocrinologist was ecstatic that I brought that up, and actually thanked me for mentioning this. I had been hesitant to tell him, and mentioned it at the end of the visit in a hesitant way because I expected him to laugh at me as well. He said he suspected I might be having problems with gluten, and scheduled me for several celiac tests, as well as many other blood tests. I felt like walking on air after that endocrinologist didn't laugh at me for trying to be proactive and bringing up my suspicions.

I'm awaiting the results of the Celiac blood tests, and am scheduled for a biopsy/endoscopy. I've been forcing myself to stay on gluten... quite painful. As mentioned earlier, it's the odd left abdomen pain that worries me the most.

SeamusKitty- I saw that you had mentioned left side pain in this thread, and that you were undiagnosed at the time. I saw that you recently were diagnosed by biopsy/endoscopy. I am sure you were so relieved to get the testing over with! How are the left side pains now?

Lisa_123 and Sparkle1988- I see that you both mentioned you had the left side pains and were both expecting to undergo and endoscopy/biopsy. How are you doing now? How are the left side pains?

TiffLuvsBread, LisaaaNoel, SlamDuncan, JBaby and MissyJoy- How are you doing??? Have eating gluten free caused relief from left side pains?

Archived