This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten In Frozen Fruit?

Mi55-E

Mi55-E Newbie

Hey guys,

I'm very new to this and am trying to find the source of my glutened feeling today.. The only different thing I've had is Bob's Red Mill Teff cereal with frozen blueberries. I've read some conflicting things about fresh produce possible containing a wheat coating.. as well as dried fruit dusted with wheat to prevent sticking.. I was wondering if this might be possible for frozen fruit? Has anyone else had any issues with this?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lizard00 Enthusiast

If it contained a wheat coating, it would by law be required to be listed, as wheat is one of the top 8 allergens and must be disclosed.

amoliphant Newbie

I would more suspect the cereal....maybe call them and see if it is processed/packaged on a dedicated line. I ran into problems with Arrowhead Mills Maple Buckwheat Cereal...so much so that I am leery of all packaged cereals now. Maybe my cereal was actually gluten free as it stated on the package and I had a reaction to buckwheat, I don't know, but in your case I would suspect the cereal way ahead of the frozen fruit...

Mi55-E Newbie
I would more suspect the cereal....maybe call them and see if it is processed/packaged on a dedicated line. I ran into problems with Arrowhead Mills Maple Buckwheat Cereal...so much so that I am leery of all packaged cereals now. Maybe my cereal was actually gluten free as it stated on the package and I had a reaction to buckwheat, I don't know, but in your case I would suspect the cereal way ahead of the frozen fruit...

Yeah, the cereal says gluten free on the package. I guess that could still mean there could have been some CC?

lizard00 Enthusiast
Yeah, the cereal says gluten free on the package. I guess that could still mean there could have been some CC?

It could be, or you could be reacting to something else in the cereal. For a long time, I thought I was being glutened by frozen waffles and a specific brand of cereal. Then I realized that I can't do soy, and both had soy in them. I also learned much better what my true gluten reaction was. That alone can take some time.

lovegrov Collaborator

I'd also suspect the cereal before the fruit. Wheat in frozen fruit!! Egad!! Think what that would do to the taste and texture of it. Blecch.

richard

lorka150 Collaborator
Hey guys,

I'm very new to this and am trying to find the source of my glutened feeling today.. The only different thing I've had is Bob's Red Mill Teff cereal with frozen blueberries. I've read some conflicting things about fresh produce possible containing a wheat coating.. as well as dried fruit dusted with wheat to prevent sticking.. I was wondering if this might be possible for frozen fruit? Has anyone else had any issues with this?

Bob's Red Mill Teff is made in their gluten-free plant, and it's gluten-free - I eat it often, and have never reacted.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lizard00 Enthusiast

So, I'm not sure how long you've been gluten-free, but it just occurred to me while re-reading this thread that in the beginning, everything hurt me for a bit. Some of my major symptoms stopped almost immediately, but my gut felt like it was on a fire for a bit, didn't matter what I ate. Just a thought...

Mi55-E Newbie
So, I'm not sure how long you've been gluten-free, but it just occurred to me while re-reading this thread that in the beginning, everything hurt me for a bit. Some of my major symptoms stopped almost immediately, but my gut felt like it was on a fire for a bit, didn't matter what I ate. Just a thought...

I've only been gluten-free for a few weeks.. but I keep messing up! Ugh this is so frustrating!

I think it was the cereal.. I had the teff again this morning and I feel it again. When I eat gluten it feels like someone took a SOS pad and scraped my stomach with it! :/ I have that feeling again, though not as bad as if I ate a piece of bread!

I looked up Bob Red Mill's website and they do have a seperate facility for their gluten-free products however their standards are the "under 20 ui".. which I gather means most their gluten-free products will probably have small amounts of gluten... how frustrating!!

I think I've got a long road of learning ahead of me!!

Mi55-E Newbie
Bob's Red Mill Teff is made in their gluten-free plant, and it's gluten-free - I eat it often, and have never reacted.

After eating the Teff today I'm pretty sure I'm reacting to that :(

I've had the Bob Mill's Mighty Hot Cereal which is also one of their gluten-free products and never reacted to that.. but now I can't find the Mighty Tasty hot cereal around here which is why I got the Teff instead!

tarnalberry Community Regular

The only reason the Bob's Red Mill site says "tested to 20ppm" is because readily available commercial tests can't detect gluten and lower levels. It does *not* mean there is gluten in it. I'm assuming you're talking about the whole grain teff, cooked as a cereal, because I don't see anywhere on Bob's site that they produce a "cereal" (as in boxed flakes, o's, squares, whatever). Given the dedicated plant they have, I would strongly consider that the TEFF bothered you, not contamination. (Assuming, of course, that you're not using shared wooden spoons, a teflon pan that had been used for gluten cooking before, and all other sources of "in-house" contamination have been removed.)

• 3 weeks later...
Polaris5pilot Newbie

Hi, I just wanted to tell you that I met a woman a wedding who is a celiac, like myself, and she was getting sick on a regular basis. She eventually traced it back to the frozen strawberries by making repeated calls to the company. It turned out that wheat was used as a coating, but it was such an insignificant amount that the company did not have list it on ingredients (regardless of whether or not it is one of the top allergens). Unfortunately, I don't know what brand she had bought or whether your blueberries are from the same company and I don't know who she is outside of that wedding. I disregarded it as information to follow up because I hate frozen fruit--sorry! However, I wanted to tell you that if wheat can be in frozen strawberries without being listed, there is a very good chance that it is on blueberries. So, don't throw out your cereal boxes yet. :-)

Hey guys,

Lisa Mentor
Hi, I just wanted to tell you that I met a woman a wedding who is a celiac, like myself, and she was getting sick on a regular basis. She eventually traced it back to the frozen strawberries by making repeated calls to the company. It turned out that wheat was used as a coating, but it was such an insignificant amount that the company did not have list it on ingredients (regardless of whether or not it is one of the top allergens). Unfortunately, I don't know what brand she had bought or whether your blueberries are from the same company and I don't know who she is outside of that wedding. I disregarded it as information to follow up because I hate frozen fruit--sorry! However, I wanted to tell you that if wheat can be in frozen strawberries without being listed, there is a very good chance that it is on blueberries. So, don't throw out your cereal boxes yet. :-)

Have you seen any documentation regarding strawberries coated with wheat. If so, please post it. I understand and appreciate your willingness to share information. But, documentation is very important when dealing with our health. Claims of stawberries coated with gluten can cause undo panic and concern.

Open Original Shared Link

It is my understanding that anytime a top eight allergen is used in/on a product, that it must be disclosed, by law.

OptimisticMom42 Apprentice
It is my understanding that anytime a top eight allergen is used in/on a product, that it must be disclosed, by law.

Laws do get broken. That's why we have consumer advocates, police, lawyers, courts, judges.............

Lisa Mentor
Laws do get broken. That's why we have consumer advocates, police, lawyers, courts, judges.............

True, but to coat fruit with one of the top allergens, a supplier/producer/farmer would only be asking for serious repercussions, from multiple directions.

OptimisticMom42 Apprentice

Yes, it would stupid of them. It was stupid of the chinese to put melamine in pet food and baby formula but they did it. Sorry, if it seems that I am intentionally being disagreeable. That is not my intention. I just believe it is safer to eat foods that don't need a label at all. Buying your berries in season and freezing them yourself is smarter, cheaper, and safer.

Take care RA

foodiegurl Collaborator

I would have to agree with the previous poster who mentioned it may just be the teff, regardless of gluten. I know for me personally, i used to love quinoa, but now I will get the worst stomach ache afterwards, and it has nothing to do with gluten.

Maybe try a different brand of teff to test it out?

Tim-n-VA Contributor

I know this was discussed in the past and I can search later when I'm not at work. Was there an answer to the question of whether strawberries could have gluten from the straw they are grown on? I realize that there is probably lots of variation with regards to really using straw, etc.

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I am going to agree with Mommagoose on this. What the chinese did was crazy- but in the US the labeling laws are generally followed so if those berries were manufactured here they would need to be labeled.

I understand it is better to pick your own berries but many people do not have the extra time to go picking and canning and thats understandable. I love fresh berries in the summer and I love to pick them but I dont do the whole freezing/canning thing because of time.

To the original poster- I know Walmart labels their generic great value brand gluten free so maybe check there next time for berries or if you have a Wegmans near you. I have bought frozen strawberries there which are labeled so.

Lisa Mentor
I know this was discussed in the past and I can search later when I'm not at work. Was there an answer to the question of whether strawberries could have gluten from the straw they are grown on? I realize that there is probably lots of variation with regards to really using straw, etc.

Tim, this is the only thing that I was able to find regarding this subject. It's a Brazilian STUDY and I don't know how dated it is. This study has nothing to do with US products. Perhaps this why this myth just won't go away.

Open Original Shared Link

Jayde Apprentice

Unfortunately health is not always the number one thing on certain food company

lovegrov Collaborator

Strawberries and straw don't worry me. In the past when I've picked my own there's been no straw present. Even if there were, I'd simply wash them.

richard

• 2 weeks later...
Polaris5pilot Newbie

I don't mean to cause a widespread panic, but the woman I spoke with was 100% on the frozen fruit thing. She was enraged over the fact that the berries had gluten, because she had been getting sick for weeks prior to talking to the company. She told me as warning and I have no reason to doubt her, as we suffer from the exact same problem. Of course, this may just be the one brand and, regardless of the fact that she lives in the US, she really could have bought it anywhere. With that being said, I will contact the bride and see if I can find out the woman's email address and move out from there. Stay tuned...

True, but to coat fruit with one of the top allergens, a supplier/producer/farmer would only be asking for serious repercussions, from multiple directions.

Archived