8 replies to this topic

#1 hippo33

hippo33

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 04:40 AM

i was wondering if caffeine can affect celiac and dh because ive been gluten free for 2 weeks but ive been drinking energy drinks everyday and my breakouts of dh are frequent,like everyday i get new break outs does anyone have any imput for me?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 07:27 AM

Sorry ,no, I became intolerant of caffeine way before I realized my gluten problem.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 08:10 AM

caffeine will not cause a celiac reaction. but, due to it's effects on the nervous system (which is very important in the digestive system), it can cause stomach problems, nausea, and digestive trouble all on it's own.

but there's a whole lot in that drink besides caffeine. what else is is in there?
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#4 hippo33

hippo33

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 08:22 AM

is it still possible to get a break out one or 2 weeks of being gluten free because caffeine is the only thing i could think of

#5 daphniela

daphniela

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 09:52 AM

Maybe your energy drink isn't gluten free. What else is in it?

#6 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 10:36 AM

If you are really gluten free I don't think you would get symptoms. Some people say they have to avoid shampoos etc that have gluten ingredients also. Have you checked all your vitamins, medications, all the food you are eating and everything you are drinking? Two weeks in there is a good chance you are not really gluten free. That stuff can be hidden in many many places. Wooden bowls, wooden spoons, toasters, etc. I think a good way to start gluten-free is eating all home cooked whole foods with simple spices like plain salt and black pepper. NO processed foods in boxes or cans at all. If you pick up an onion the ingredient list is not a mystery to read and decipher. Same with taters etc. So it can makes things simpler and less stressful at first since you don't need to learn all those hidden gluten terms at once.

I don't have dh myself, but I can't do coffee or tea. They do quite a number on me in other ways.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#7 hippo33

hippo33

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 05:17 AM

If you are really gluten free I don't think you would get symptoms. Some people say they have to avoid shampoos etc that have gluten ingredients also. Have you checked all your vitamins, medications, all the food you are eating and everything you are drinking? Two weeks in there is a good chance you are not really gluten free. That stuff can be hidden in many many places. Wooden bowls, wooden spoons, toasters, etc. I think a good way to start gluten-free is eating all home cooked whole foods with simple spices like plain salt and black pepper. NO processed foods in boxes or cans at all. If you pick up an onion the ingredient list is not a mystery to read and decipher. Same with taters etc. So it can makes things simpler and less stressful at first since you don't need to learn all those hidden gluten terms at once.

I don't have dh myself, but I can't do coffee or tea. They do quite a number on me in other ways.

should i stay away from ketchup and v8 juice and stuff like that just to be safe?

#8 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 07:49 AM

should i stay away from ketchup and v8 juice and stuff like that just to be safe?

if you can handle the label reading on the basic condiments, then sure. but you can NEVER assume that something does or does not have gluten. you can NEVER assume that just because something used to be gluten free, it still is. you ALWAYS have to read the label, and know what EVERY ingredient's gluten status is.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#9 fran641

fran641

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 07:28 AM

I've been gluten free since Dec. I have become very sensitive to caffeine just in the last month. It makes my heart beat too fast and I get the shakes. Weird how I'm becoming more and more sensitive the things that didn't bother used to bother me.
Fran

Gluten free since Dec. 2008

New food sensitivities rear their ugly heads as time goes on.
Diagnosed with follicular Non Hodgkin Lymphoma Sept. 2010

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: