6 replies to this topic

#1 trents

trents

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 12:04 PM

For several years since going gluten free I have used Oberto's Original Flavor Beef Jerky as it WAS gluten free. The other flavors by Oberto had wheat in them but the Original didn't. I would buy the double pack at Costco because the price was so good. I checked it again today and it now has a wheat-based soy sauce in it. Beware.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 brigala

brigala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 12:53 PM

Many of the Tillamook Country Smoker jerky flavors are not only gluten-free but MSG-free as well.
http://tillamookcountrysmoker.com/

And they're really good. I've always preferred them to Oberto.

gluten-free since mid-2007.
Symptoms: "IBS," chronic fatigue, chronic pain. 

Celiac is a family affair for us; my mom, sister, and one of my sons are gluten free. At least it makes holiday gatherings easier. 

#3 trents

trents

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 04:12 PM

Thanks! That's good to know. I doubt if I could find that brand at Costco prices, however.

#4 brigala

brigala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 09:15 PM

Hard to say. I can't remember whether I've seen it at Costco. It's available at every other store I can think of around here, including "bargain" type grocery stores like Winco.

I have also been to their factory store in Tillamook, but I suppose not everybody has that luxury. ;)

-Elizabeth

gluten-free since mid-2007.
Symptoms: "IBS," chronic fatigue, chronic pain. 

Celiac is a family affair for us; my mom, sister, and one of my sons are gluten free. At least it makes holiday gatherings easier. 

#5 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 10:14 PM

I thought Oberto always had wheat in it?

#6 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 07:53 AM

According to their website, the original, hickory, and peppered are still gluten free. Is it possible there was a bag of teriyaki mixed in there? (I've done that before - picked up the wrong one and thought, 'darn it, they stopped being gluten free'.)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#7 cyberprof

cyberprof

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 03:51 PM

According to their website, the original, hickory, and peppered are still gluten free. Is it possible there was a bag of teriyaki mixed in there? (I've done that before - picked up the wrong one and thought, 'darn it, they stopped being gluten free'.)

I've been buying it for two years now, checking the label each time. As of last Costco trip, it does say "wheat and soy" on the regular flavor in addition to that on the teriyaki. This is true for the Costco and the grocery store versions. I just checked again today, before even reading this message.

I think that the addition of the wheat on the label may be a CYA statement (they don't want to get sued) perhaps because they make the regular and teriyaki versions on the same equipment.

Whole Foods 365 brand states "Gluten-free" on the label and is good - even the teriyaki flavor is gluten-free. Not as cheap, though, so I won't be buying it often. But for trips and camping, it will be useful.

~Laura
Diagnosed by biopsy 2/12/07. Negative blood tests. Gluten-free (except for accidents) since 2/15/07. DQ2.5 (HLA DQA1*05:DQB1*0201)

Son, age 18, previously delayed growth 3rd percentile weight, 25th percentile height (5'3" at age 15). Negative blood work. Endoscopy declined. Enterolab positive 3/12/08. Gene results: HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201 HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0503 Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1(Subtype 2,5) Went gluten-free, casein-free 3/15/08. Now 6'2" (Over six feet!) and doing great.

"Great difficulties may be surmounted by patience and perseverance." Abigail Adams (1744-1818) 2nd First Lady of the United States

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: