This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Oberto's Original Beef Jerky: Beware

trents

trents Grand Master

For several years since going gluten free I have used Oberto's Original Flavor Beef Jerky as it WAS gluten free. The other flavors by Oberto had wheat in them but the Original didn't. I would buy the double pack at Costco because the price was so good. I checked it again today and it now has a wheat-based soy sauce in it. Beware.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

brigala Explorer

Many of the Tillamook Country Smoker jerky flavors are not only gluten-free but MSG-free as well.

Open Original Shared Link

And they're really good. I've always preferred them to Oberto.

trents Grand Master

Thanks! That's good to know. I doubt if I could find that brand at Costco prices, however.

brigala Explorer

Hard to say. I can't remember whether I've seen it at Costco. It's available at every other store I can think of around here, including "bargain" type grocery stores like Winco.

I have also been to their factory store in Tillamook, but I suppose not everybody has that luxury. ;)

-Elizabeth

Juliebove Rising Star

I thought Oberto always had wheat in it?

tarnalberry Community Regular

According toOpen Original Shared Link, the original, hickory, and peppered are still gluten free. Is it possible there was a bag of teriyaki mixed in there? (I've done that before - picked up the wrong one and thought, 'darn it, they stopped being gluten free'.)

cyberprof Enthusiast
According toOpen Original Shared Link, the original, hickory, and peppered are still gluten free. Is it possible there was a bag of teriyaki mixed in there? (I've done that before - picked up the wrong one and thought, 'darn it, they stopped being gluten free'.)

I've been buying it for two years now, checking the label each time. As of last Costco trip, it does say "wheat and soy" on the regular flavor in addition to that on the teriyaki. This is true for the Costco and the grocery store versions. I just checked again today, before even reading this message.

I think that the addition of the wheat on the label may be a CYA statement (they don't want to get sued) perhaps because they make the regular and teriyaki versions on the same equipment.

Whole Foods 365 brand states "Gluten-free" on the label and is good - even the teriyaki flavor is gluten-free. Not as cheap, though, so I won't be buying it often. But for trips and camping, it will be useful.

~Laura

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived