4 replies to this topic

#1 RideAllWays

RideAllWays

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 06:42 PM

In my "Rice cream" there is an ingredient called "Organic rice maltodextrin". I thought it was fine because it said rice, but now that I'm feeling very sick within half an hour of eating it I'm wondering if the "malt" part of maltodextrin has gluten in it. Any thoughts?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 The Fluffy Assassin

The Fluffy Assassin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 03:52 PM

In my "Rice cream" there is an ingredient called "Organic rice maltodextrin". I thought it was fine because it said rice, but now that I'm feeling very sick within half an hour of eating it I'm wondering if the "malt" part of maltodextrin has gluten in it. Any thoughts?

Rice maltodextrin is gluten free. Supposedly all maltodextrin is gluten free, but rice maltodextrin is by definition (unless somehow cross-contaminated).
The fluffy assassin? My cat, Amelia. Just fluffy, really.
About '02, lactose intolerance hit. Quit gluten in late '07. Immediately had better energy, less anxiety.
By '09, no lactose intolerance, but I gave up dairy 7/18/09 anyway (and in August soy). Restarted dairy, Nov' '10; stopped for good, December.
9/12/09 Wound up in the emergency room with what turned out to be hypothyroid symptoms. Resolved quickly when I got my iodine levels up. If you're on a whole foods diet, make sure you get enough iodine. Believe me!
PS: Fluoridation sucks.
PPS: You might enjoy my blog, Writing When The Cat Lets Me.

#3 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 10:56 AM

I agree that it's gluten-free.

richard

#4 JBaby

JBaby

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 05:22 PM

Who knows. I ate maltodextrin this morning. I ate a Jimmy dean breakfast bowl this morning and I got the headache and brain stupidy fog and have had it all day. It has maltodextrin and dextrose which are suppose to be safe. Those 2 ingredients are in splenda and i had that last week and got the same symptoms. I dont trust maltodextrin or dextrose. sorry cant help here, very bitter with the headache.

#5 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 05:31 PM

http://www.celiac.co...ents/Page1.html

) Maltodextrin is prepared as a white powder or concentrated solution by partial hydrolysis of corn starch or potato starch with safe and suitable acids and enzymes. (1) Maltodextrin, when listed on food sold in the USA, must be (per FDA regulation) made from corn or potato. This rule does NOT apply to vitamin or mineral supplements and medications. (2) Donald Kasarda Ph.D., a research chemist specializing on grain proteins, of the United States Department of Agriculture, found that all maltodextrins in the USA are made from corn starch, using enzymes that are NOT derived from wheat, rye, barley, or oats. On that basis he believes that celiacs need not be too concerned about maltodextrins, though he cautions that there is no guarantee that a manufacturer wont change their process to use wheat starch or a gluten-based enzyme in the future. (3)
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: