This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celiac Friendly Restaurants In Canada

Carriefaith

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread on celiac friendly restaruants in Canada. I sometimes traval to different provinces in Canada and thought that it would be nice to know of restauants in the area I'm visiting that are celiac friendly.

I live on PEI and so far these restaurants have been great!

Off Broadway - Open Original Shared Link

I ordered "Grilled Atlantic salmon on Chives Mashed Potato with Balsamic Veal Reduction" I asked for plain rice and veggies, and I asked that the salmon would be cooked on tin foil and it was! Everything was great except I didn't eat the veggies (I wasn't sure if they were plain, I will ask next time though). Apparently other celiacs eat here as well. The waitress there told me what other celiacs have ordered in the past.

St. James' Gate - Open Original Shared Link

I ordered lobster and plain salad. The waitress there said that they get regular celiacs and that they will go out of their way to make your meal gluten free! (If you get pop, ask for the glass to be in a non beer glass).

Fisherman's Wharf Lobster Suppers - Open Original Shared Link

I ordered lobster and ate tons of fruits and veggies at the salad bar!

• 1 month later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Carriefaith Enthusiast

One place recommended by the Canadian Celiac Association Charlottetown Chapter is the Home Place Inn & Restaurant in Kensington, PEI. I have never eaten there but apparently they will make gluten free meals, however, I think you have to call in advance and tell them that you need a gluten-free meal. I plan on eating there this summer.

Open Original Shared Link

• 1 month later...
num1habsfan Rising Star

I totally suggest Moxies and Kelsey's. Both restaurants that I've been to all the waitresses/waitors have great knowledge of gluten-free diets..

~Lisa~

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Thanks Lisa! I've never heard of those places. Do you know what provinces they are in?

Also, there is a lady at the Farmers Market on PEI that sells dinners that can be gluten free, dairy free, vegan, ect. I've had the food quite a few times now and have never gotten sick. She usually has hot food (so you can eat it there) and cold food (so you can take it home and eat later). The Farmers Market is open on Wednesday's and Saturday's during the summer for anyone who is interested.

Guest Viola

There is a wonderful place in the little town of Salmo B.C. called Trapper John's. Just send in your card and they will make you a scrumptious safe meal :D Not only do you get the meal, but you get a most wonderful huge log restaurant, spottlessly clean washrooms ... flowers in the ladies I must say :lol: ... don't know about the men's.

The Harold St. cafe in Slocan B.C.is also a safe place to eat. It's a tiny place, but good food :)

Gee ... I only know the tiny hideaways :rolleyes:

Carriefaith Enthusiast
Gee ... I only know the tiny hideaways
No problem! I love knowing of safe places to eat when I travel. Smaller places are probably safest anyway :) Are these places close to Vancouver? I've only been to BC once so I am not very familiar with the place. I'm just wondering becasue there is a very slight chance that I may be traveling to Vancouver, BC in October.
Guest Viola

Hi Carrie .. no, these places are in the south east part of the province, about 8 to 9 hours drive from Vancouver. But if you are going to Vancouver you really must go into the PANNE RIZO BAKERY CAFE! The owner is Celiac and they have Gluten free and some Dairy-free baking and meals. It's on 1939 Cornwall Ave, Vancouver. They are Closed on Sunday and Monday, or was when we were there last year. But check with their website at;

www.PanneRizo.com

I can speak for their pizza and apple pie amoung several other things I brought home with me :D

Hope you really enjoy your trip out our way :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tasha Apprentice

If you're looking for places in BC, I can name a few. I'm pretty newly diagnosed but here is what I have found in the last 2 months:

VANCOUVER

-Serenity bakery/deli/cafe Open Original Shared Link

I just had the fruit crumble two days ago....mmm....

-Panne Rizo Open Original Shared Link

The blackberry and peach pie is to die for! As well as everything else of course

-Quejos Open Original Shared Link

I haven't tried them yet but they are supposed to be yummy

-Pepitas Mexican Restaurant Open Original Shared Link

Enchiladas are gluten-free as well as more options

-Moxies downtown was very helpful and careful, had no reaction

-Specialty grocery stores: Choices, Capers, Whole Foods...even the little specialty grocery store in the university village at UBC has gluten-free stuff!

VICTORIA (on Vancouver Island)

-Olive Grove Restaurant (caters to celiacs! delicious greek food, very careful)

-Il Terrazo downtown Open Original Shared Link

Had an amazing dinner there, everything freshly made so can alter for us

-Specialty grocery stores: Planet Organic and Lifestyle markets are awesome

NANAIMO (on Vancouver Island)

-Wesley St. Cafe is supposed to be helpful for us, I haven't checked it out yet

-Gina's Mexican restaurant supposed to be good too

I hope this helps :)

2old4 Rookie

Hi- I live in Maine on the NB border, pass by the legendary Tim Hortons every day on my transit to work. Do you know if the French Vanilla Cappucino coffee is safe? I hadn't had time to check on it yet, thought you guys would probably know. Thanks- Patty

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Thanks tasha and Viola! I will definately keep those places in mind if I travel to Vancouver in the futue.

Do you know if the French Vanilla Cappucino coffee is safe?
It isn't on this safe list Open Original Shared Link but that list is old so they may have changed.
  • 4 weeks later...
jeanbrigedav Newbie
Thanks tasha and Viola! I will definately keep those places in mind if I travel to Vancouver in the futue. I will most likely be going to BC in October for the nationals if my soccer team wins the provincials, but we have to win first and they will be tough  ;)

It isn't on this safe list  Open Original Shared Link but that list is old so they may have changed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There are two pasta restaurants called Anduccis, one in Surrey, B.C. and one in Burnaby, B.C. and they have gluten free pasta on the menu. They also have a variety of sauces, meat, seafood, and vegetarian and their servings are a fair size.

Jean, Surrey, B.C.

• 2 weeks later...
SandraNinTO Rookie
:rolleyes: Hi from Toronto. I'm so glad I found you guys. I normally drive to PEI every summer (not this year with gas prices....WAAAH!!!) and I will be travelling to Victoria next year, so all suggestions are greatly appreciated. If you travel to Toronto, keep Il Fornellos in mind. They have gluten-free pizza on the menu and will make any pasta dish with gluten-free pasta. Expensive, but invaluable. My husband and I order two different personal size pizzas (both gluten-free, bless him) and we split so I can try half and half! Enjoy.
tonyevans Newbie

Just back home from Canada and had a GREAT time. Thanks to all who gave restaurant advice, we tried many.

You can add Outback Steakhouse, they were very good and produced a gluten-free menu. The server confirmed each of my choices was OK before confirming our order.

But Geez I would've loved to have taken on their Bloomin' Onion.

Thanks again to all for your advices

Tony Evans

Carriefaith Enthusiast
Just back home from Canada and had a GREAT time. Thanks to all who gave restaurant advice, we tried many.
Glad we could help!

If you travel to Toronto, keep Il Fornellos in mind. They have gluten-free pizza on the menu and will make any pasta dish with gluten-free pasta. Expensive, but invaluable. My husband and I order two different personal size pizzas (both gluten-free, bless him) and we split so I can try half and half! Enjoy.
WOW :D Do you have directions to this place? I'm going to be living in the Toronto area within the next year and would love to eat there! Thanks!

Thanks everyone for your replies on restaurants in BC. I will keep those places in mind if I travel there in the future :)

SandraNinTO Rookie

:D If anyone is visiting Toronto, The Boardwalk Cafe, indicates all gluten-free items right on their menu! They substitute garlic mashed potatoes for the fries too. They have a beautiful patio right on Ashbridges Bay under giant maple trees. It's also fun inside when it's snowing under the twinkle lights. The address is:

1681 Lake Shore Blvd. E.

Toronto, ON

M4L 3W6

Tel: (416) 694-8844

Sandra in Toronto

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Wow thanks Sandra, that sounds wonderful :)

SandraNinTO Rookie
:) Cool. You're moving to TO? Here's the link to Il Fornellos www.ilfornello.com There are many locations. The one near my place is in Toronto Beaches. I'm eating there tonight actually. Sandra
SandraNinTO Rookie

I also like Le Commensal on Bay St. (at Elm beside the World's Biggest Bookstore)in Toronto. It's a vegetarian cafeteria like restaurant where you go through the buffet, then they weigh your plate. They have a binder at the cash register that lists all the gluten-free items on the menu. So I feel really safe eating there. Also, even though it's close to the subway, they validate parking next door, so you've gotta love anyplace that gives you free parking in Toronto. I understand they have lots of Quebec locations as well. They sell frozen dinners in some of the health food stores but I'm not certain those are gluten-free. Sandra

Here is the link: Open Original Shared Link

Carriefaith Enthusiast
You're moving to TO?
Yeah, I'm planning on moving to the Toronto "area" sometime next year. Thanks for the info on the restaurants!
skoki-mom Explorer
There is a wonderful place in the little town of Salmo B.C. called Trapper John's. Just send in your card and they will make you a scrumptious safe meal  :D  Not only do you get the meal, but you get a most wonderful huge log restaurant, spottlessly clean washrooms ... flowers in the ladies I must say  :lol:  ... don't know about the men's.

The Harold St. cafe in Slocan  B.C.is also a safe place to eat. It's a tiny place, but good food :)

Gee ... I only know the tiny hideaways  :rolleyes:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What do you mean by "send in your card"??????? Thanks.

Guest Viola

I carry a Celiac card that explains what you can and can't have in your food. I got mine from the Canadian Celiac Ass. and my daughter had it laminated for me so it doesn't get all mucky going back into various kitchens, and it always gets returned.

I believe there are some web sites where you can print the card off the computer. I think I even saw them listed on this forum not too long ago. Try Celiac.com .. or the Kinnikinnick site. I'm pretty sure they have one. Kinnikinnick that is. :D

Hope this helps.

skoki-mom Explorer
I carry a Celiac card that explains what you can and can't have in your food. I got mine from the Canadian Celiac Ass. and my daughter had it laminated for me so it doesn't get all mucky going back into various kitchens, and it always gets returned.

I believe there are some web sites where you can print the card off the computer.  I think I even saw them listed on this forum not too long ago. Try Celiac.com .. or the Kinnikinnick site. I'm pretty sure they have one. Kinnikinnick that is.  :D

Hope this helps.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Shirley! I will have to look for that! I haven't been to the local Celiac Association yet, waiting to get kids back to school :)

• 2 weeks later...
Carriefaith Enthusiast

For those visiting or living on PEI, Piece A Cake Restaurant will cater to celiacs.

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

In Calgary, Alberta, the Chianti's restaurants (Italian) offer gluten-free pasta to customers. All their sauces are gluten-free and the host (or whoever the guy is who seats you...he's always there when we go) said that either they will cook gluten-free pasta or you can bring in your own pasta and they will cook it for you. For sure the Crowfoot location, not sure about the other locations.

We haven't been there since Ty (almost 6 years old) was diagnosed, but we go there on Mondays and Tuesdays (cheap nights!).

Mmmmm. Pasta Primavera. Maybe next Monday.

elsinore Rookie
:D  If anyone is visiting Toronto, The Boardwalk Cafe, indicates all gluten-free items right on their menu!  They substitute garlic mashed potatoes for the fries too.  They have a beautiful patio right on Ashbridges Bay under giant maple trees.  It's also fun inside when it's snowing under the twinkle lights.  The address is:

1681 Lake Shore Blvd. E.

Toronto, ON

M4L 3W6

Tel: (416) 694-8844 

Sandra in Toronto

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Archived