This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celiac Friendly Restaurants In Canada

Carriefaith

smacky Newbie

gluten-free pizza in St Catherine's! Open Original Shared Link

I haven't had a chance to try it yet because I'm not in that city but near it, but now that I've found out about them, I'm definitely going to give them a try as soon as I can. I've also heard there's an italian restaurant in St Catherines that will do everything on their menu but with rice pasta if you request it. I'll come back with that info once I find it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Viola

For anyone in the Kootenay area of BC, or travelling through Nelson, there is a restaurant called Amanda's that is awesome! :P We spent yesterday in Nelson working dogs to entertain the public and demonstrate obedience, agility and conformation. Anyway .. after a long day we decided to eat in town instead of doing the hour long drive home and having to cook. Someone suggested that Amanda's was a good place to eat and they thought that they would do Celiac food. Well ... that was an understatement!

I got the menu and was checking out the usual chicken or steak when the waitress told me that they do Chinese food for Celiacs! Yup, I'm serious :o:D She said that I could have any of the dishes with rice noodles, minus the soy sauce, and the sweet and sour pork is done with gluten free batter in a dedicated fryer! Wow! I was just tickled to say the least .. ever want to dance in a restaurant?? :D Anyway, I had the chicken fried rice and sweet & sour pork ... Yummmmmmmm It was fantastic. And absolutely no symptoms showed up, and I would know in short order as I'm really sensitive. I made a complete pig of myself ... :lol: it's a wonder I didn't make myself sick just eating too much.

So ... if you are in the area, it's located in North Nelson, just across BOB (big orange bridge). When you get across BOB, look straight in front instead of taking the right turn the highway goes. You can't miss it!

Deej Newbie

We eat out a lot and these places, although not all offering gluten-free items, have careful and really knowledgeable staff and I've never had a problem at any of them:

Jack's Grill (in Lendrum)

Ric's Grill (in Riverbend, sort of)

Sorrentino's (either location)

Sicilian Pasta Kitchen

The Harvest Room (in MacDonald Hotel)

• 2 weeks later...
Deej Newbie

Last night I had another fabulous meal at Sorrentino's south side (Calgary Trail) Edmonton. The server and chef were well versed in gluten and I had a delicious dinner.

Recently my boss was taking a group out to dinner and one of them is a Celiac. They called the restaurant, Characters, and were delighted with the intelligent and caring response and the Celiac guest reported a lovely and safe experience.

Rusla Enthusiast
The Edmonton Celiac Association website has almost no information compared to any other city. I'm really dissapointed.

I used to eat at Sicilian all the time before going Gluten-Free so I might have to pop back there sometime. I really like Sorrentino's though and have been successful in going there. I hope you get your courage to venture out and eat out. All the restaurants that I listed have been good. I haven't been glutened yet. I don't eat out a ton but more than you do. I think I mentioned somewhere else you responded to that the Outback on Calgary Trail is safe too. I don't know when the pizza restaurant that I wrote about starts the gluten-free pizza's but I'll let you know when they do.

Also, I've been meaning to post about the Strathcona Farmer's market. There's a lady there that makes a ton of gluten-free products. Bread, Pies, Meat Pies, Tortiere's, Muffins, Lasagna, and the like. I eat a lot of her stuff. Cinnamon buns too! The place is called Lipsmacker's. My mom told me today that she now has perogies. I've been making my own but I'll try some of these out soon. Keep me posted if you find any other secrets in the city and I'll do the same.

~~~~

I had Swiss Chalet last night too, it was yummy. First time in 4 years! I'm sorry Carriefaith that you got glutened by yours.

You have a chinese restaurant in Edmonton, Pearl River I think it is,if you let them know ahead of time they will make the things that aren't usually gluten-free gluten-free for you. They have many things that have no gluten in them and they will use Gluten-free soy sauce also.

Felidae Enthusiast
Last night I had another fabulous meal at Sorrentino's south side (Calgary Trail) Edmonton. The server and chef were well versed in gluten and I had a delicious dinner.

Recently my boss was taking a group out to dinner and one of them is a Celiac. They called the restaurant, Characters, and were delighted with the intelligent and caring response and the Celiac guest reported a lovely and safe experience.

That's great, I have to take my DH out for his birthday, so maybe I'll try Sorrentino's. That's their new (well fairly new) location, right?

You have a chinese restaurant in Edmonton, Pearl River I think it is,if you let them know ahead of time they will make the things that aren't usually gluten-free gluten-free for you. They have many things that have no gluten in them and they will use Gluten-free soy sauce also.

I work very close to Pearl River. I heard they were knowledgeable, but it's good to hear it from someone else. Maybe I'll try them.

Deej Newbie

Yes, just off Calgary Trail at 42nd. It was very nice.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sasha1234 Newbie

I second the Sorrentinos. It's quickly become my favorite restaurant!

Thanks Rusla... I'm scared to eat out at a Chinese place cause of all my other alleriges and they tend to use nut oils and lots of legumes, both of which are anaphylactic allergies, so big no no's. But if they are aware of celiac then maybe they are worth a shot.

ilovechocolate Explorer

I know that someone already said Milestones I just had to second that one!!! I was in Victoria last August for my honneymoon and when I got sick at a place that said they knew gluten free we ate at Milestones for lunch and dinner for about 3 days!! I had so many good things to eat there, I am just so excited to know that there is a place far away from texas that I can eat at and not be worried! B)

Ronnie Apprentice

I'm also from PEI, and i'm having a hard time finding places to eat out!

This summer i really wanna check out the farmers market where the lady sells gluten free foods.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Be careful with the gluten-free food at the farmer's market. I would ask the lady how she avoids cross contamination. I believe that I got sick once from eating her food last summer.

Guest Viola

I have frequently seen gluten free baking mixes put in the regular flour isle. My big beef is with the children that go and help mom shop. The gluten free packages will have flour dust on the outside of them, the children pick it up to hand to mom and then they have flour on their little hands, which of course frequently goes in their mouths. I'm thankful that I don't have a small child with Celiac, but it must be a nighmare for young mothers. :(

• 2 weeks later...
Heater Rookie

Does anyone know if Calgary still has a place that sells gluten free pizza? When I joined the Celiac Association I got a sheet for a company called "MyBiz" that is supposed to do deliveries of frozen gluten free pizzas, but then when I went to Calgary last week and called it was the wrong number. So I'm wondering if they've closed or just changed numbers... anyone know?

skoki-mom Explorer

I went to a restaraunt in Kensington (Calgary) last night called "The Muse". The prices are not for the faint of heart and it is most definitley NOT a family style place. However, it was my BFs birthday and therefore a special occasion (and I had a GC ;)). They were very knowledgeable about celiac disease, they were able to adapt any item on the menu or switch up side dishes etc. It was FABULOUS. We had wine, we had appetizers, I had a beef tenderloin with asparagus, this side dish that looked like a slice of lasagne but was made out of potatoes and mushrooms, and some sort of caramalized onion/shallot thingy. I also had this salad that was to die for. Most of the names were French, sorry, lol. Anyhow, I would say if you are looking for somewhere special in Calgary and want to feel well taken care of, give it a try!!

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

My MIL was picking up my kids for me at school on Friday, and she was talking to a lady whose sister has celiac and she said there was a gluten-free pizza and Chinese food place, but she couldn't remember the name. I haven't been able to find it either. I missed the Calgary AGM, but I figured there might be something there. Haven't seen anything in the newsletter either.

Carriefaith Enthusiast
My MIL was picking up my kids for me at school on Friday, and she was talking to a lady whose sister has celiac and she said there was a gluten-free pizza and Chinese food place, but she couldn't remember the name. I haven't been able to find it either.
Are these restaurants 100% gluten-free?
2Boys4Me Enthusiast
Are these restaurants 100% gluten-free?

I don't know...I haven't even found anyone to confirm or deny that a gluten-free pizza is even available. Just that Mom at school whose sister said so. There's nothing on the Calgary Celiac website about it. I'll have to try to get hold of the Mom and get her sister's name. If/when I discover anything you can be sure I'll post it. Once a different Mom from school was all excited and told me that Panago had a gluten-free pizza. I said I doubted it was gluten free, in fact they probably added extra. She was so sure, so I called and it turns out they were able to make it lactose free for the fun lunch. She felt really bad when I told her it had gluten. At least she tried.

Heater Rookie

So, there does seem to be a gluten-free pizza delivery place in Calgary. I e-mailed them and this was their response:

thanks for your interest in our gluten free pizzas.

You can place orders by the phone

home office - 286 7189

or my cell: 681 1912

Remember we deliver the pizzas frozen, with instructions how to bake them.

for delivering, we have a minimum order of 3 pizzas, and the freight is $

( three Dollars) within Calgary limits.

We accept Visa and Mastercard, checks, and cash as well.

Delivers can be scheduled by phone for your best convenience.

Cordially,

Carlo Berardi

Mybiz Inc.

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

Interesting...but if it's frozen, why wouldn't you just make a fresh one yourself? I can say that, because I'm at work during pizza and movie night here, so I don't have to make pizzas.

Felidae Enthusiast

I just wanted to say that I am going to Swiss Chalet tomorrow for the first time since being gluten-free. It's my last day at my job of nine years and my bosses are taking me there at the lunch time rush. I'm scared and I hope I don't get glutened. I'll let you know how it goes.

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

Good Luck! Only two hours until lunch.

Felidae Enthusiast

Lunch went well on Friday at Swiss Chalet. I didn't get sick. Even though when I told the server I have wheat and dairy allergies she looked like she had never heard that ever said before, and she didn't write it down for the kitchen. I even had their allergy menu printed out and she had never heard of it or seen it. I don't think I would go there again simply because it wasn't as tasty as I remembered it from before. I didn't get sick but I don't think every franchise location is very informed.

• 2 weeks later...
Becka85 Newbie

There aren't too many places for Celiacs to eat in Calgary so far. Crowfoot Chianti is a great one. They are very knowledgeable. If you're looking for something fancy, The Belvedere will accommodate any diet. Everything is made from scratch so the chef actually knows the ingredients of his food!

I found that places like Kelsey's, Moxies, etc are kind of iffy. Sometimes they do a great job and are very well-informed and other times they look at you like you're crazy. As well, Milestones in Calgary is a definite no for celiacs. I went there for a birthday lunch a couple of weeks ago and found out that every item on their menu contains gluten, even the salads. They ended up making me a giant garden salad. I felt like a rabbit and it definitely wasn't worth the price.

There is a new restaurant that just opened in SW Calgary called Splitt. It's run by a guy who is also a celiac. The entire menu is 100% gluten-free. I'm really excited to try this new place. If anyone happens to stop by there, let me know what you think.

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

Have you tried the Mongolie Grill? There's one on 4th Street (I think) downtown and Dalhousie Station.

Becka85 Newbie

I haven't tried the Mongolie Grill yet. Thanks for the suggestion!

I went for dinner at Vintage last night though. It's a little pricey but the food is amazing and the server was very knowledgeable. She double-checked everything with the chef and made everything really easy for me.

Archived