arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Books, Articles, Pamphlets To Give To Family And Friends?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Lynayah

Lynayah

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 08:28 AM

Do you have a favorite book, article or pamphlet that you give to family or friends when they want to know more about gluten-intolerance or Celiac? -- Something fast, friendly and easy to read that helps them understand that No, a person can't have just a little bit now and then?
Gluten Intolerant with double HLA-DQ6. Pre-diagnosis: Weight gain, swelling, diarrhea, mouth sores, back pain, body aches, fatigue, muscle weakness, BRAIN FOG, runny nose, recurrent sinus infections, bruising, low white cell count (whole life), and more. My feet were so bad, I could hardly walk. Toward the end: Chronic Vit. D deficiency (almost no D in my body despite a quality multi-vit. each day).

There is hope! Gluten-free since Sept. '09, and I have my life back - I feel better than in many, many years!

Favorite quotation: "You must do the thing you think you cannot do." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 10:10 AM

http://www.gluten.net/publications.php

http://www.celiacdis....net/factsheets

http://celiac.nih.gov/

#3 Lynayah

Lynayah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 01:58 PM

Still searching -- something that lets family and friends (any maybe even restaurants) understand -- in a very simple, easy to read way -- that someone with Celiac cannot have just a little bit now and then -- also maybe a word or two about how serious cross-contamination can be. Anything?
Gluten Intolerant with double HLA-DQ6. Pre-diagnosis: Weight gain, swelling, diarrhea, mouth sores, back pain, body aches, fatigue, muscle weakness, BRAIN FOG, runny nose, recurrent sinus infections, bruising, low white cell count (whole life), and more. My feet were so bad, I could hardly walk. Toward the end: Chronic Vit. D deficiency (almost no D in my body despite a quality multi-vit. each day).

There is hope! Gluten-free since Sept. '09, and I have my life back - I feel better than in many, many years!

Favorite quotation: "You must do the thing you think you cannot do." - Eleanor Roosevelt

#4 daphniela

daphniela

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 02:21 PM

If you google Celiac Pamphlet a bunch of links to pamphlets pop up.

#5 Jennifer2

Jennifer2

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 02:41 PM

This is the closest I've found so far. It helps that it's from the University of Chicago.
http://www.celiacdis...ounts032008.pdf

#6 oceangirl

oceangirl

oceangirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 04:08 PM

How about a skull and crossbones? Or the international symbol for radioactivity? Or a picture of a black hole? Sorry, I'm just trying to make you laugh because I don't believe there is a good way to help anyone understand something they either are incapable of understanding or they have their heels dug in against, and, weirdly, this affliction falls into those categories. Wheat is so INGRAINED (sorry again) in us as the "staff of life" (and indeed agriculture allowed huge gains in human population growth) that people are loathe to think of it in anything but benevolent terms.

If you find a "quick" way, please let us all know because many here have been struggling with making others understand for years!

take care and good luck!
lisa

#7 Amyleigh0007

Amyleigh0007

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 04:48 PM

The book Living Gluten Free For Dummies by Danna Korn is easy to understand. Her humor on the subject makes it an enjoyable read.
Amy

1989: I am diagnosed with IBS.
3/08: 8-year-old son diagnosed with Celiac (blood test and biopsy) and allergies to corn, egg whites, soy, peanuts, walnuts, wheat, and clam.
6/08: My Celiac test is negative.
7/08: I go completely gluten free despite negative test and NO MORE IBS SYMPTOMS!!
7/09: My Enterolab gluten sensitivity gene testing results indicate I have one Celiac gene and one gluten sensitivity gene.
8/09: I am diagnosed with Celiac based on gene testing results and positive response to diet.

#8 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 05:02 PM

Restaurants: http://www.triumphdi...ee-dining-cards

http://www.webmd.com...-disease?page=2

#9 Lynayah

Lynayah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 06:33 PM

How about a skull and crossbones? Or the international symbol for radioactivity? Or a picture of a black hole? Sorry, I'm just trying to make you laugh because I don't believe there is a good way to help anyone understand something they either are incapable of understanding or they have their heels dug in against, and, weirdly, this affliction falls into those categories. Wheat is so INGRAINED (sorry again) in us as the "staff of life" (and indeed agriculture allowed huge gains in human population growth) that people are loathe to think of it in anything but benevolent terms.

If you find a "quick" way, please let us all know because many here have been struggling with making others understand for years!

take care and good luck!
lisa

Well, it worked! I laughed quite a bit at this one. Thanks for the smile.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: