12 replies to this topic

#1 anewsprue

anewsprue

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 03:41 AM

I was just diagnosed a couple weeks ago with celiac disease. I was amazed at all the web sites relating to this illness, found this one and think I'll just stick here. Anyway, I've been reading labels and cooking at home instead of eating out and have been feeling a lot better until....the past two days. I fixed some frozen chicken breasts from Target for dinner the other night, decided a nice salad with leftover chicken for my lunch at work would be great. I had the chicken, lettuce, tomatoes, boiled eggs and a little ranch dressing. OMG I have been cramping, gassing and bloating for two days. I don't know if it was something in the chicken or maybe the eggs? I take Immodium for the symptoms but even that has not helped.

Another question...this may sound goofy but here goes...I used to love the smell of bread baking, now I get nauseous when I smell bread products...and even get a foul taste in my mouth. Anyone else experience that?

I also just wanted to say thank you to all who maintain this site, it might just make life a little more tolerable for me right now! :rolleyes:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 07:08 AM

Welcome!

I'm glad you found this site! This is a great place with a lot of helpful and friendly people!

I fixed some frozen chicken breasts from Target for dinner the other night, decided a nice salad with leftover chicken for my lunch at work would be great. I had the chicken, lettuce, tomatoes, boiled eggs and a little ranch dressing.

Were the chicken breasts plain (no breading), and did you check the ranch dressing for hidden gluten? If the dressing is Kraft, they will clearly indicate gluten on the label.
Also, maybe your food got contaminated? Was the counter wiped from crumbs?

I sometimes get sick for no reason and then I have to go back and evaluate what I ate. If anything upsets my stomack I assume it's contaminated and ditch it. Some mainstream food may appear gluten free, however, they could be contaminated. Meaning the company may not wash lines in between gluten and gluten free items. Like Humpty Dumpty for example <_<

I hope you are feeling better soon! :D
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

#3 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 07:13 AM

_Some_ (not much) frozen chicken has stuff added to it - and it may include wheat. This will have to be put on the label, but if you don't read over the label with a fine tooth comb, you could miss it. (I've seen it once or twice in my travels...)

Also, checking the ranch dressing is a good idea.

You might also consider if the area in which you prepared and cut all of those items was completely cleared of crumbs, as well as whether or not you also have a problem with dairy (the dressing).
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#4 anewsprue

anewsprue

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 08:08 AM

Thanks for all the help, I think it may be the dressing. I've had this chicken before and had no problems sooooo no more dressing. I just went to bite into a Milky Way and put it down to read the ingredients, yup.....processed with wheat flour, ah well .... I have sooooooooooooooo much to learn! :unsure:

#5 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 08:38 AM

Don't deprive yourself of all dressing! Most Kraft dressings are gluten free... You just have to read the labels. Thankfully, Kraft will clearly indicate gluten on their labels.

Also you could be temporarily lactose intolerant. This is common in newly diagnosed celiacs, and many recover from it once their intestines heal.
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

#6 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 08:50 AM

Thanks for all the help, I think it may be the dressing. I've had this chicken before and had no problems sooooo no more dressing. I just went to bite into a Milky Way and put it down to read the ingredients, yup.....processed with wheat flour, ah well .... I have sooooooooooooooo much to learn! :unsure:

Don't worry about mistakes in the beginning--all of us made many of them. You'll get used to the diet soon enough and you'll find all the problem areas. By the way, Milky Way Midnights are gluten-free as are regular Snickers (two alternatives).

And Kraft will list any gluten on the label, so you know it's not under something questionable, such as modified food starch or natural flavors.

#7 burdee

burdee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 09:16 AM

As "Tarnelberry" suggested, some frozen chicken breasts have added ingredients which may include wheat (gluten). I avoid any chicken which indicates "broth" which may be thickened with wheat flour. Natural flavorings are usually okay. However, I recommend calling the company to ask what's in 'broth' or natural ingredients of frozen meat products. I constantly refer to gluten-free mainstream product guidebooks published by www.csaceliacs.org and www.gfcfdiet.com (I must avoid dairy AND gluten) when I find products with unfamiliar labels. The CSA book also defines many of those 'mystery' ingredients which may contain gluten. As others here have recommended READ THE FINE PRINT and only purchase products you know are safe or have called the manufacturer to determine are gluten free.
BURDEE

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

#8 Guest_gliX_*

Guest_gliX_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2005 - 10:17 AM

you don't have to stop eating out, if there's a restaurant you really enjoy, talk to the manager and figure out which foods are safe to eat, so then you can go back in the future and order what you'd like without having to worry about it.

#9 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 10:33 AM

Everyone makes some mistakes at first. That is kind of inevitable.
These are some brands that will not hide anything on their labels so unless they say wheat,rye,barley, or oats they are ok.
Aunt Nelly's
Balance
Baskin Robbins
Ben & Jerry
Betty Crocker
Blue Bunny
Breyers
Campbells
Cascadian Farms
Celestial Seasonings
Country Crock
Edy's
General Mills
Good Humor
Green Giant
Haagen Daz
Hellman's
Hershey
Hormel
Hungry Jack
Jiffy
Knorr
Kozy Shack
Kraft
Libby's
Lipton
Martha White
McCormick
Nabisco
Nestle
Old El Paso
Ortega
Pillsbury
Popsicle
Russell Stover
Seneca Foods
Smucker
Stokely's
Sunny Delight
T Marzetti
Tyson
Unilever
Wishbone
Yoplait
Zatarain's

Just about everything can contain gluten so make sure you check.
They are right though you do not need to stop eating out..some places are celiac friendly :D
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#10 Fonda

Fonda

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 04:19 PM

What is the difference between Celiac and Coeliac? I have noticed both spellings and didn't know what the difference was.

Fonda

#11 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 04:20 PM

Its the same thing...if different countries they just spell it differently
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#12 Fonda

Fonda

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 04:21 PM

Ok, thought it probably was the same, just thought I would check.

Fonda

#13 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 04:39 PM

Yep...Celiac is more American....coeliac is more British/Australian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: