44 replies to this topic

#1 MasterGberry

MasterGberry

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 04:32 PM

Okay, I would like to be the one to clear things up here. I currently work at McDonalds and live a gluten free life also. So i am a professional at what you can and cannot eat there. In the United States there is gluten in the french fries due to the beef flavoring as previously said. I have been trying to talk to the right person about getting this taken out but so far no luck.

Here are some common items you would think is gluten free but not.

Some of the dressings (READ THE INGREDIENTS)
French Fries
Angus Burgers (If you want this to be gluten free you must obviously not get the bun but also tell them no angus seasoning)
Grilled Chicken (The Chicken for the salads and sandwiches has wheat also in it >_> Go figure. I ate them for 2 months and then found out)
Hash Browns
Nuts in the Fruit and walnut salad (Yogurt and fruit is alright)
Snicker McFlurry
The Pies (DUH)
All the McCafe drinks are gluten free. (I personally love the Hot Chocolate)
Watch out for the cross contamination with the ice cream (My sister bought some gluten free cones, got them to make the ice cream with theres, and had it dipped in the chocolate. BIG NO NO. The Chocolate dip sauce is cross contaminated with the regular cones so there is gluten in it.)

Here is what I will eat there.

Parfaits (No Granola)
They are extremely nice about accommodating me with lettuce wraps. I even do this for the breakfast items =D (Egg McMuffin lettuce wrapped. Tastes better than it sounds) Due to this I can eat any burger there except the chicken, fish, and the angus seasoning.
Salads with no chicken and specific dressings
Breakfast items are mostly gluten free besides the bread of course.

That's all I can think about right now. Let me know if this helps and if there are anymore questions.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Amyleigh0007

Amyleigh0007

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 04:41 PM

Oh no. The fries debate again....... Brace yourselves......

The burger patties used to be gluten free. Now that they have the Angus burger, the other burger patties are no longer gluten free. There is wheat in the seasoning they use on the Angus burger so there is very high risk of CC. From what I have heard, the Angus is here to stay. It's not a temporary, trial thing. It's too bad.
Amy

1989: I am diagnosed with IBS.
3/08: 8-year-old son diagnosed with Celiac (blood test and biopsy) and allergies to corn, egg whites, soy, peanuts, walnuts, wheat, and clam.
6/08: My Celiac test is negative.
7/08: I go completely gluten free despite negative test and NO MORE IBS SYMPTOMS!!
7/09: My Enterolab gluten sensitivity gene testing results indicate I have one Celiac gene and one gluten sensitivity gene.
8/09: I am diagnosed with Celiac based on gene testing results and positive response to diet.

#3 MasterGberry

MasterGberry

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 04:56 PM

Oh no. The fries debate again....... Brace yourselves......

The burger patties used to be gluten free. Now that they have the Angus burger, the other burger patties are no longer gluten free. There is wheat in the seasoning they use on the Angus burger so there is very high risk of CC. From what I have heard, the Angus is here to stay. It's not a temporary, trial thing. It's too bad.

Well I have been working for 11 months in SoCal and the Angus has been around for a while here, now its nationwide. The Seasoning is exclusively for the Angus Burgers. You cannot eat it. Just tell the cashier that you do not want any angus seasoning on the burger. It is the last piece added to the sandwich. All the other burger patties are gluten free.

#4 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 05:34 PM

Like we'd want to eat beef patties cooked on a grill where the "angus wheat" seasoning was flying around cross contaminating everything. <_<

McDonalds: now entering the category of even more non celiac/gluten-free friendly.

#5 Amyleigh0007

Amyleigh0007

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 05:53 PM

Like we'd want to eat beef patties cooked on a grill where the "angus wheat" seasoning was flying around cross contaminating everything. <_<

McDonalds: now entering the category of even more non celiac/gluten-free friendly.

Exactly. Now the regular burger patties are contaminated. This has been a hot topic in my local support group. Many families get bun-free burger happy meals for their kids. Not anymore.
Amy

1989: I am diagnosed with IBS.
3/08: 8-year-old son diagnosed with Celiac (blood test and biopsy) and allergies to corn, egg whites, soy, peanuts, walnuts, wheat, and clam.
6/08: My Celiac test is negative.
7/08: I go completely gluten free despite negative test and NO MORE IBS SYMPTOMS!!
7/09: My Enterolab gluten sensitivity gene testing results indicate I have one Celiac gene and one gluten sensitivity gene.
8/09: I am diagnosed with Celiac based on gene testing results and positive response to diet.

#6 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 06:04 PM

Thanks you for your listing MasterG. This is from the official McD's listing:

http://nutrition.mcd...ngredients.html

The French Fries have been tested independently and they test under a significant level that is safe for Celiacs to consume. Choose as you will.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#7 larry mac

larry mac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 09:16 PM

MGB,

Thanks for the heads up about the Angus Burger patties. I was planning on having one soon, but thanks to you that's out. Not once, but twice wheat is listed as an ingredient. As some may know, I've been a big defender of my little local Walmart Mcdonalds (and their fries). Needless to say, I'm extremely dissapointed now.

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

#8 Daryl

Daryl

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 08:28 AM

Uhhhhhgggg. I can't believe the Angus patties have wheat in the seasoning. If the seasoning is added to the beef while on the grill, then yes, the grill becomes contaminated. If the seasoning is added before the patty is placed in the container/on the bun, we might be ok. If the seasoning is indeed added while they're cooked on the grill, then the regular burgers are going to take onthe seasoning taste too. So this one has me baffled a bit. I say we get as many people as possible to write to them, explaining the situation and ask them to consider a seasoning that does not contain wheat. And also, ask them of the preparation process for the Angus burgers/meals.

As for the fries, they're fine. They are cooked in a dedicated fryer, and i'm going by the independent study that found no traces of gluten. Just my 2 cents though.

#9 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 09:51 AM

It sounds like the angus seasoning is added at the end of actually assembling the burger, so it would not be applied before or while the patty is on the grill. However, it's just one more thing with wheat to contaminate the counter, gloves, etc.

richard

#10 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 10:30 AM

It might be something to ask at your local McD's . . . but I ask at ours, right after this thread was initiated, and the manager there said that the seasoning was added while the burgers were still on the grill. I told him that would contaminate his whole grill making the other patties unsafe for a celiac/gi/wheat allergeric person . . . all I got was an "OH" . . . no more patties for us. My daughter now eats a side salad and an order of fries when we go there.
Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Posted Image

#11 elle's mom

elle's mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 12:39 PM

It might be something to ask at your local McD's . . . but I ask at ours, right after this thread was initiated, and the manager there said that the seasoning was added while the burgers were still on the grill. I told him that would contaminate his whole grill making the other patties unsafe for a celiac/gi/wheat allergeric person . . . all I got was an "OH" . . . no more patties for us. My daughter now eats a side salad and an order of fries when we go there.

This is sooooooo disappointing; double cheeseburger no bun was one of the only things keeping travel with 4 kids somewhat doable. Of course packing healthier food is always the goal, just very difficult sometimes. We're working on getting our celiac daughter to eat the side salad, but no dice as of yet-I wouldn't eat salad until well into my 20's, she's only 4 so hopefully she does better than that! So, is Wendy's about the only celiac friendly fast food? Any suggestions from the experienced pros (other than just stay home and/or pack your own food)?
~Jackie (Mom of a gluten & dairy-free home)
Myself: Neg blood tests despite myriad of life-long symptoms. Enterolab testing positive for gluten sensitivity: DQ5DQ5. Currently gluten, dairy, grain, & sugar free and on rotation diet.
5yo dd diagnosed celiac by blood test/biopsy Oct/Nov 2007: DQ2DQ5
7yo dd: neg blood tests, DQ5DQ6
3yo ds: neg blood tests, IgA deficient, DQ5DQ6
21mo dd: DQ2DQ5
DH: Neg blood tests, by deductive reasoning: DQ2DQ6.

#12 KathiSharpe

KathiSharpe

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 08:07 AM

AFAIK Wendy's "burgers" are gluten free (I put "burgers" in quotes because anything thinner than your average piece of paper is pretty questionable in my book :lol: )

BUT -- their fries are listed as gluten-free. They are fried in a "dedicated fryer". HOWEVER their fries do not remain gluten-free.

In every Wendy's I've ever been in, the chicken fryer is to left side and the FF fryer to the right; and the rack where they dump the food out is to the right of that. So they pull the fry baskets out of the chicken, cross over the FF fryer, and to the place where the chicken is removed from the basket. Cross contamination.

Wendy's was wholly unconcerned when I called to complain and refused to post a warning.

#13 elle's mom

elle's mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 10:26 AM

AFAIK Wendy's "burgers" are gluten free (I put "burgers" in quotes because anything thinner than your average piece of paper is pretty questionable in my book :lol: )

BUT -- their fries are listed as gluten-free. They are fried in a "dedicated fryer". HOWEVER their fries do not remain gluten-free.

In every Wendy's I've ever been in, the chicken fryer is to left side and the FF fryer to the right; and the rack where they dump the food out is to the right of that. So they pull the fry baskets out of the chicken, cross over the FF fryer, and to the place where the chicken is removed from the basket. Cross contamination.

Wendy's was wholly unconcerned when I called to complain and refused to post a warning.

Actually, we usually (well only done it twice, but anyway) have done the grilled chicken/baked potato at Wendy's. At least with chicken IMO you don't miss the bun as much as with a burger patty. Their grilled chicken I think is really quite good. My daughter will actually eat it too so whenever we see Wendy's at least we know we have an option. Plus, I do like their salads.....and then there's the Frosty's (not for me due to no dairy right now, but good for the kids). Oops, this has turned into a Wendy's thread instead of McD's.....SORRY!! PS, usually I'm good at figuring out the abbreviations, but you stumped me on the AFAIK??
Myself: Neg blood tests despite myriad of life-long symptoms. Enterolab testing positive for gluten sensitivity: DQ5DQ5. Currently gluten, dairy, grain, & sugar free and on rotation diet.

#14 KathiSharpe

KathiSharpe

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 11:28 AM

PS, usually I'm good at figuring out the abbreviations, but you stumped me on the AFAIK??

AFAIK = As far as I know

What I don't know about is the grilled chicken at Wendy's. I know that in several restaurants lately I've either inquired about or researched beforehand and realized that the grilled chicken is marinated or injected with gluten-containing broth (like McD's, and McAlisters.)

#15 elle's mom

elle's mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 11:54 AM

AFAIK = As far as I know

Got it, thanks ;)

What I don't know about is the grilled chicken at Wendy's. I know that in several restaurants lately I've either inquired about or researched beforehand and realized that the grilled chicken is marinated or injected with gluten-containing broth (like McD's, and McAlisters.)

http://www.wendys.co...n_free_list.pdf

............hopefully, it's not one of those listed as gluten free but it really isn't. I hate those. [/b]

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: