44 replies to this topic

#16 lizard00

lizard00

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 03:36 PM

This is sooooooo disappointing; double cheeseburger no bun was one of the only things keeping travel with 4 kids somewhat doable. Of course packing healthier food is always the goal, just very difficult sometimes. We're working on getting our celiac daughter to eat the side salad, but no dice as of yet-I wouldn't eat salad until well into my 20's, she's only 4 so hopefully she does better than that! So, is Wendy's about the only celiac friendly fast food? Any suggestions from the experienced pros (other than just stay home and/or pack your own food)?

When on the road, we stop at either Chick Fil A or Wendy's. Those are about it for me. I tried the Wendy's burger no bun twice... I think. Both times it didn't end well for me. You always ask about the fries. At any Wendy's. Always. I stick to the chili or salad and maybe a frosty. Fries if I like their answer. :)
Be yourself, everyone else is taken.
Oscar Wilde

Gluten free November 2007
IgA Deficient, Neg Bloodwork, Double DQ2 Positive
Dietary and Genetic Diagnosis June 2, 2008
Soy free Jan 09

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 KathiSharpe

KathiSharpe

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 04:05 PM

So, is Wendy's about the only celiac friendly fast food?

Hardee's low carb burger (lettuce wrap) is gluten-free, as are their "natural" fries ... can't vouch for cross-contam issues tho. That's probably dependent on the local store more than anything.

http://www.hardees.c...ergen_guide.pdf

Sonic has some great options too - http://www.sonicdriv...ble_9-30-08.pdf

#18 RESO

RESO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 05:04 PM

AFAIK Wendy's "burgers" are gluten free (I put "burgers" in quotes because anything thinner than your average piece of paper is pretty questionable in my book :lol: )

BUT -- their fries are listed as gluten-free. They are fried in a "dedicated fryer". HOWEVER their fries do not remain gluten-free.

In every Wendy's I've ever been in, the chicken fryer is to left side and the FF fryer to the right; and the rack where they dump the food out is to the right of that. So they pull the fry baskets out of the chicken, cross over the FF fryer, and to the place where the chicken is removed from the basket. Cross contamination.

Wendy's was wholly unconcerned when I called to complain and refused to post a warning.

I checked wendy's web site about a month ago and they state that their fries are gluten free however they are NOT fried in a dedicated fryer so they recommend people with gluten allergies don't eat them. My local Wendy's has no information but there is a gluten free menu on the web site.

#19 RESO

RESO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 05:08 PM

McDonald's fries may be gluten free after testing, but is the fryer really dedicated? I would not trust that the employees don't ever accidentally drop in a chicken mcnugget or two or whatever else they fry that contains gluten. It's a personal choice, of course, but I wouldn't trust it unless I knew the people working there and trusted them.

#20 elle's mom

elle's mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 05:52 PM

McDonald's fries may be gluten free after testing, but is the fryer really dedicated? I would not trust that the employees don't ever accidentally drop in a chicken mcnugget or two or whatever else they fry that contains gluten. It's a personal choice, of course, but I wouldn't trust it unless I knew the people working there and trusted them.

Many years ago, in high school, I used to work at McD's; at the one I worked, and any others that I've observed, the fries are prepared off to the side at a separate "fry" area, whereas the nuggets, chicken sandwiches, etc. are made in the "grill" area located behind the counter, not even near each other.
The only thing though, I just thought of this, is that the breakfast hashbrowns are made in the same place as the fries, but aren't they gluten-free too?
~Jackie (Mom of a gluten & dairy-free home)
Myself: Neg blood tests despite myriad of life-long symptoms. Enterolab testing positive for gluten sensitivity: DQ5DQ5. Currently gluten, dairy, grain, & sugar free and on rotation diet.
5yo dd diagnosed celiac by blood test/biopsy Oct/Nov 2007: DQ2DQ5
7yo dd: neg blood tests, DQ5DQ6
3yo ds: neg blood tests, IgA deficient, DQ5DQ6
21mo dd: DQ2DQ5
DH: Neg blood tests, by deductive reasoning: DQ2DQ6.

#21 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 06:14 PM

I checked wendy's web site about a month ago and they state that their fries are gluten free however they are NOT fried in a dedicated fryer so they recommend people with gluten allergies don't eat them. My local Wendy's has no information but there is a gluten free menu on the web site.

Wendy's can't quote that there fries are gluten free because not ALL of their locations have a dedicated frier. Many locations do. It's a matter of asking. If they have a dedicated frier, we eat the fries.
Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Posted Image

#22 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 07:03 PM

The only thing though, I just thought of this, is that the breakfast hashbrowns are made in the same place as the fries, but aren't they gluten-free too?

Yes, they are. There will be no contamination from the hash browns. Both the fries and the hash browns are fried in dedicated fryers at the front of the store by the window crew. Everything else is done in the back by the grill crew. Nothing is going to be accidentally dropped in the wrong fryer.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#23 KathiSharpe

KathiSharpe

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 03:14 AM

If they have a dedicated frier, we eat the fries.

Even if there's grease+crumbs from other products in the fryer (droppage)??

Just curious.... it seems like some people (like me) are far more sensitive than others to the minute presence of gluten. McD's fries always made me sick and if I remember right that was one of the Great Mysteries when I was gluten-free before. Then they came out with the "contains meat and wheat" thing and I was like, "duuhhhhhh".

To me, anything with WHEAT on the label is an absolute no no... but it sounds like people here eat them all the time and *don't* get sick. Anyone know why that is?

BTW we ate Hardee's last night and I feel fine (low carb burger and fries) but I really do wonder at the safety of the fries due to the CC issue. I'll have a talk with the manager next time I go in, just to see what she says about it.

#24 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,769 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 03:24 AM

Even if there's grease+crumbs from other products in the fryer (droppage)??

Just curious.... it seems like some people (like me) are far more sensitive than others to the minute presence of gluten. McD's fries always made me sick and if I remember right that was one of the Great Mysteries when I was gluten-free before. Then they came out with the "contains meat and wheat" thing and I was like, "duuhhhhhh".

To me, anything with WHEAT on the label is an absolute no no... but it sounds like people here eat them all the time and *don't* get sick. Anyone know why that is?

BTW we ate Hardee's last night and I feel fine (low carb burger and fries) but I really do wonder at the safety of the fries due to the CC issue. I'll have a talk with the manager next time I go in, just to see what she says about it.

It does seem some of us are more sensitive than others. I don't know if it might have something to do with what genes you carry or the amount of damage that you had and the number of systems effected or perhaps some of us react to more than just the gluten in gluten foods. If some of us also react to someother component in gluten grains that might explain why some of us tolerate distilled gluten grains and some of us don't.
I know once children heal they may seem to tolerate gluten again, the reason why we were thought to outgrow celiac and perhaps that same mechanizm is involved with the others who are able to eat trace amounts. I also avoid anything with the contains wheat warning as I suffer greatly if I don't. For me even trace amounts cause intense sickness so it is sooo not worth it to me. For awhile there were countless items that others would seem to eat safely and I would try them over and over with the same nasty results. I think we have to trust our bodies and if you have reactions to trace amounts you need to avoid the items even if others seem to be fine with them.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#25 foodiegurl

foodiegurl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 07:52 AM

Yes, they are. There will be no contamination from the hash browns. Both the fries and the hash browns are fried in dedicated fryers at the front of the store by the window crew. Everything else is done in the back by the grill crew. Nothing is going to be accidentally dropped in the wrong fryer.

I am so confused now...so McDs fries are OK to eat? Or the actual fries themselves contain gluten?
Anne in Chicago
Pescatarian since 2005
Diagnosed by blood test February 2009, biopsy June 2009, at age 36
Gluten-free since 3.16.2009

#26 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 08:16 AM

I am so confused now...so McDs fries are OK to eat? Or the actual fries themselves contain gluten?

Wheat in the McDonalds fries (in the US only) is a subject that has been beaten to death over the past three and a half years. Click here to read the original thread from February, 2006.

There have been numerous other topics since, but they just rehash the same points.

In the end, you make a personal decision that is right for you.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.

#27 jrhanson

jrhanson

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:57 PM

So if the fries are not safe because of a beef flavoring does this also mean they are not
vegetarian?

#28 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,243 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:32 PM

So if the fries are not safe because of a beef flavoring does this also mean they are not
vegetarian?

Not sure why ou are bringing up this old topic when we just had a recent one in the last few days.

Vegetarian isn't really addressed in this forum.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#29 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:38 PM

This is an old topic about a subject that keeps coming back.

The fries at McDonald's are cooked in dedicated potato fryers. No contamination risk there.

The fries have artificial beef flavor. It is vegetarian, but not vegan. Portions of the flavor are derived from milk.

A flavor derived in part from wheat and in part from dairy is added to the oil in which the potatoes are partially fried at the production facility. At the store, the frying process is competed using vegetable oils with no additives.

The process has been examined and tested independently at the University of Nebraska. No detectable gluten was found in the fries.

If you are worried about the possible below-detection levels of gluten noted here, I would strongly suggest that you not even consider McDonald's, or any other fast food place.
Peter

#30 amber

amber

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:09 PM

We are visting the USA from Australia later on this year. There may be times when it is convenient for us to go to McDonalds. Here the fries, hash browns and most of the shakes and sundaes are gluten free amd quite a few of the cakes in the McCafe.

After reading about the fries issue on here I have come to the conclusion that in the US the fries are under the recommended level of gluten content. Therefore they are deemed to be gluten free. Is this correct? Also are the hash browns gluten free? Are the shakes and sundaes and McFlurry's gluten free there? I have heard that you have Reeses McFlurry's there which is rather exciting. Are they gluten free?

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: