8 replies to this topic

#1 KMS1311

KMS1311

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 05:33 AM

Hi, ive just found this site and im extremely concerned about my partner. She is currently being tested for Celiac after her 1st blood test was only borderline for positive. It’s been 3 weeks since, and she’s been told to eat foods with gluten etc until she has her biopsy in about 6-8 weeks time which she’s been told will make her next tests clearer. She is wasting away from being sick all the time and she had little weight to start with.

This is a big worry, but my main worry is her depression. It’s beginning to become extremely hard to cope with. She’s turning her back on me, her kids, family and friends she’s even starting to hate herself. I know everything she is saying is untrue and it’s the depression which is causing her to say it, but how long will it last once she’s on a proper gluten free diet ??? All she wants to do is sleep and she even said she wishes she never woke up which scared me to death !!! She refuses to take any anti depressants ive tried several times to try and change her mind but failed everytime so ive gave up as being pushy as it’s not wise I don’t think.

Once on the correct diet will the depression go ?
If so, Will it take days weeks or months?
How long does it take to get result from the biopsy?
Will she ever get back to her normal self?

If anyone has any advice on depression caused by Celiac I would be really grateful !!!!

Many thanks in advance!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 06:08 AM

Depression does go with celiac. When she is gluten free that will clear up as she starts to feel better. Different people take longer to heal. She may see a difference right away or it may take months. It took me 3 months to have my symptoms go away and another few months to get back to normal. She will get back to her normal self. Biopsy results come back fairly quick. Remember though if there is not damage in her intestines yet her biopsy could come back negative but she could still have celiac. I would recommend doing research on what is gluten free and what is not ahead of time. It may seem like an easy change but it's not..gluten is hidden under so much. She is very lucky to have someone who cares so much about her...hope she feels better soon...hang in there :D

This is a great place to get info about what you can and can't have.. http://www.celiac.co...html?p_catid=12
This is a link to safe and forbidden foods that will help as a guideline...there are some things like a new toaster she will need...and she has to check things such as lipsticks as well...once she learns everything it will be very easy..it may not seem easy at first. It is definitely worth it
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#3 KMS1311

KMS1311

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 08:57 AM

Thanks Kaiti.

I have saved that link into my favorites.

Before the depression started to take a turn for the worse she ordered a book from a website listing all the types of food that can be eaten. Hopefully once diagnosed and the depression starts to ease she will see a dietician. At the moment she doesn’t really want to know with the depression, she’s blaming loads of other things for the cause of it although just 2 weeks ago she told me it was the Celiac that was the cause, goes to show that depression just keeps getting worse and how quick it can happen. She wants to move away further down south away from the place she’s lived all her life and liked so much. Hates it when the phone rings, turns her mobile off so sometimes it’s hard if not impossible to actually talk to her. We on the outside looking in can see what’s going on clearer and know that she will get better in time but she’s on the inside in her own cocoon and doesn’t want to listen to anyone but her own thoughts. It's not easy seeing someone deteriate so quickly and very little you can do.

Ive read allot of other posts on here from people that also suffered depression. I just hope that me being patient, doing as she says and not forcing her to do anything she doesn’t wish to do is the correct route to take. I work away during the week so only see her on weekends. Her mam is stopping with her and making sure she’s ok, (ok as she can be). So these days I don’t really speak to her as much, as she doesn’t want to talk. Wound me up at first all sorts ran through my mind until I realised what the cause actually is !! It’s an easy trap to fall into for anyone that is trying to support someone that is going through the same. But you have to remember that when it’s all over hopefully that person will be thankful for your help. That’s what’s keeping me on top of it all.

#4 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 09:46 AM

If she has bad depression right now she may need to see a doctor though. You don't want her to do anything crazy. Maybe she needs to be on meds until she can go gluten free and get better.I had anxiety for a while and I haven't taken any Xanax in about 10 months because the diet has helped so hopefully it will do the same for her.

There are some really good brands of bread that are gluten free too.

Here is also a list of some brands that will put wheat,rye,barley, oats on labels.
If you do not see one of those ingredients on these following labels then they are safe...they will not hide anything under otherwise questionable ingredients. Alot of these brands are in a regular grocery store too...

Aunt Nelly's
Balance
Baskin Robbins
Ben & Jerry
Betty Crocker
Blue Bunny
Breyers
Campbells
Cascadian Farms
Celestial Seasonings
Country Crock
Edy's
General Mills
Good Humor
Green Giant
Haagen Daz
Hellman's
Hershey
Hormel
Hungry Jack
Jiffy
Knorr
Kozy Shack
Kraft
Libby's
Lipton
Martha White
McCormick
Nabisco
Nestle
Old El Paso
Ortega
Pillsbury
Popsicle
Russell Stover
Seneca Foods
Smucker
Stokely's
Sunny Delight
T Marzetti
Tyson
Unilever
Wishbone
Yoplait
Zatarain's

Also there are some conagra, utz, and frito lay products that are gluten free.

If you need any help with info just let me know and I can help you out there...
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#5 KMS1311

KMS1311

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 10:10 AM

Thanks again.

Im not a person who would push anyone into taking any sorta drug but I would feel alot more at ease if she was to agree to some sort of anti-depresent, just until shes started on the correct diet after offically being diagnosed. Like i said before I have mentioned anti-depresents several times but everytime shes become more adiment that she is not gonna take them :o/ What more can I do !

Thanks for the list, im saving all the info onto the PC so when shes feeling upto it I will show her this site and what you have told me. Knowing more about what she can and cant eat before being diagnosed is a real boost I reckon. Ive also notcied a few of bars and restaurants now have menus that tell you what they serve that people with celiac can eat. Only downfall is you have to ask for it and if theres someone working that doesnt even know what celiac is then thats when it becomes a little more difficult.

#6 lotusgem

lotusgem

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 10:31 AM

Dear KMS. So sorry to hear of the trouble that you and your dear one are going through. I suffered from severe depression almost ten years ago. I've only recently figured out that I have Celiac and suspect that that was the cause of it. I remember what it felt like to be in the depths of despair. There is utter hopelessness, emptiness and it is impossible to fathom even an ounce of joy or goodness in your own life, regardless of the true, positive conditions of your existence. There is self loathing as well. My husband and kids were kind and loving to me, but I was unable to feel it, and their tender efforts only annoyed and angered me. It is, unfortunately a very self-absorbed state. I know that your partner has indicated that she doesn't want to talk, but still, try to be attentive, because she will probably feel neglected and even more depressed! I know that this is hard. My husband looks back on that time as a nightmare, but it did pass. A weaker man would have left me. I agree with Kaiti that she should probably see a doctor...a psychiatrist, because when depression reaches a certain level, suicidal thoughts can take hold. I honestly didn't think that I would see my next birthday, for a while. Anti-depressants can (as I recall) take up to 2-4 weeks to take effect. As a rule, I think that they are much too widely prescribed, especially when the cause is something in a person's life that can be addressed; an event-triggered depression. But her depression could be strictly biological in nature, as was mine, and she may temporarily need a little help from medication until she can get back on track again. I wish you both the best!
Paula

#7 burdee

burdee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 10:55 AM

Remember 'depression' is just a fancy term for sadness turned to hopelessness turned to giving up on life. Longterm undiagnosed, debilitating and even painful symptoms of celiac disease can make people feel hopeless about ever living a normal life again. Fears about unexpected celiac reactions which may produce embarassing gas, bloating or diarrhea or even excruciating abdominal pain make every day scary and hopeless for undiagnosed celiacs. Even after diagnosis people who have lived with such ever worsening symptoms may take weeks or months to believe they can return to normal activities or life without symptoms.

My celiac symptoms were gas, bloating, constipation and excruciating abdominal pain. For many years my doctors misdiagnosed my symptoms as 'irritable bowel syndrome' and handed me an IBS diet sheet which recommended eating more whole grains and especially WHEAT BRAN (exactly what I should have avoided). I felt angry at doctors who couldn't help me, powerless to resolve every worsening painful symptoms, and scared to plan any activities away from home or familiar bathrooms. After I learned I had celiac, abstained from gluten (and then dairy and soy to which I also have intolerances), I experienced my first pain free hours in years. I wondered how I would plan my daily activities WITHOUT pain, how I would adjust to a life WITHOUT pain, a better life, but nevertheless, a very different life. Despite many gluten/dairy/soy contamination 'slips' I eventually became confident that I could experience painfree days, eventually plan vacations and most recently serve jury duty, despite fears of being away from bathrooms should I have a 'slip'.

Many doctors see 'depression' as a 'disorder' separate and unrelated from celiac disease. However, I understand how anyone with lifelong, undiagnosed, embarassing, painful and debilitating symptoms can feel sad, scared and hopeless enough to receive that 'depression' label. Support your partner's efforts to maintain a gluten free diet, encourage her to talk about her experiences with celiac symptoms, fears about unexpected gluten reactions, powerless feelings about a life ruled by celiac symptoms or whatever she feels about celiac disease. With time, knowledge and encouragement, her 'depression' will lift. Taking antidepressants may numb the sad feelings, but the beliefs which she developed during years of undiagnosed symptoms will remain, until she talks about those and/or experiences wellness to change feelings of hopelessness about her life. I also hope you show her posts on this message board from other people who overcame depression as they recovered from celiac symptoms.
BURDEE

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

#8 lotusgem

lotusgem

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 11:52 AM

KMS, I wanted to clarify what I had said in my previous post about the anti-depressants. You probably read what I wrote and thought that I hadn't seen what you had said about how you've tried to get her to take meds. I don't know if she has already seen a psychiatrist, but that would be a good starting point. If she already has and has been given a prescription but refuses to take it, then I think that it would be wise to make an appointment, with her knowledge, so that you all can talk this thing through. If it is biological, it is probably also being fueled by her fears and discomforts as Burdee mentioned. Whatever the underlying cause, she needs help and with the meds, she could be feeling much better in the very near future...sure hope so!
Paula

#9 KMS1311

KMS1311

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 01:17 PM

Thank you for your replies.

I understood what you said Paula and I'm very gratefulll for what you said. Also Kaiti & Burdee's replies too.

She has been seeing a psychiatrist for a good few weeks up until about 3 weeks ago as her psychiatrist took ill, phoned her and cancled that weeks app. It was that week when she made a massive improvment and then she herself took ill with flu and throat infection the following week and thats when things started to become worse at a rapid rate and this also was the time when she was told to eat the foods that make her sick until the biopsy has been carried out. It cant be nice sitting down to a meal knowing about 20mins (max) later your gonna see it again !! Before being told by her doctor that she must eat the foods she normally has she started to eat the foods that didnt make her ill or not eat at all as she didnt see the point as it wasnt gonna stay down. It may seem wise at the time to her but looking back now it was prob the worst mistake to make! as thats what caused the blood test results to come back as borderline.

I'm trying and hoping she will go back and start having regular weekly sessions again with her psychiatrist until she starts to feel better. It's just timing when to bring up the subject without her thinking im nagging, or her to take what im saying the wrong way. Because to be fare it must not be a nice thing to be told by someone that they think it would be wise to see a psychiatrist ! I know I would feel a bit upset and confused if someone told me that.

Im still gatherig info and feedng myself with info about Celiac to get a better understanding of it all. The more i read the better I understand what shes going through. This forum is amazing and everyone who helps and replies should be proud !!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: