Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiacs Absorbing Iron?

11 posts in this topic

Hi

This may seem like a silly question, but can someone with celiac disease absorb iron in tablet form?

The reason I am asking is that I have loads of symptoms which would point to celiac, but I remember that a few years ago when my iron was at its lowest point, I was able to get my iron level back up again with a couple of month supply of iron tablets. Is it possible for this to happen with a person who has celiac?

I am getting my biopsy done on Friday to test for celiac.

Thanks

Ads by Google:

Interesting correlation! I used to have a very healthy iron level and donated blood regularly. But two or three years prior to discovering I was gluten-intolerant, my iron level started dropping and I can no longer donate blood. My doc says its not anemic, but runs on the very low side of normal. She had me taking an iron supplement but I eventually had to stop because I discovered it had milk in it and I'm also dairy-intolerant. I recently discovered Kirkman Labs, an online vitamin/supplement company that makes gluten-free,dairy-free, allergen-free products and ordered some of their liquid iron. My doc prescribed that I take double the amount called for to see if it will build me back up some. I never would have thought of my iron issues being correlated with my gluten issues, though. I don't think my doc has made that connection either. But its certainly worth exploring! Let us know what you find out!!

Hi

This may seem like a silly question, but can someone with celiac disease absorb iron in tablet form?

The reason I am asking is that I have loads of symptoms which would point to celiac, but I remember that a few years ago when my iron was at its lowest point, I was able to get my iron level back up again with a couple of month supply of iron tablets. Is it possible for this to happen with a person who has celiac?

I am getting my biopsy done on Friday to test for celiac.

Thanks

my wife has had to have parenteral iron (i.e., iron infusions) for the last 6.5 yrs to keep fe, ferritin, & hb levels up to normal. for some unknown reason, although she has been diagnosed as being celiac for ~10 yrs and her gi tract is apparently 'healed' - she has been unable to absorb iron normally.

this may have had something to do with her having manganese poisoning due to intake of herbal supplements and vitamins around the same time (a very long story, i'm afraid), but has lasted well beyond the resolution of that issue. we have gotten the timing of her infusions to approx once every 6-8 wks.

curiously, after moving out of state, it has been 9 wks since her last iron infusion, her blood levels are well within normal ranges, and our 'new' doc is suggesting waiting a few more weeks, then do a blood test to determine if the malabsorption issues have resolved themselves.

i do NOT recommend this for everyone/anyone, as regular infusions carry significant risk (even in the doctors office). but we exhausted all other possibilities and infusions remained as 'the answer' (for her). as to whether this is celiac related, nutritional issue -- or something completely different -- i haven't a clue.

Thanks for your replies guys.

I'm just wondering if Celiac Disease would be ruled out of the list of possiblities for me as I managed to absorb iron tablets a few of years back? (when my symptoms starting gradually getting worse)

Thanks

I don't think you can make that leap in reasoning as each person with celiac disease is so different. I don't really think that the medical community has a good handle on malabsorption; how exactly it works and how each person responds to it. It would make it easier if we could just plug into a computer for diagnostics like we do our cars!

no, being able to absorb iron tablets does not rule out celiac.

many celiacs are NOT iron deficient, or B-vit deficient, or calcium deficient, or vit-D deficient... the damage can be spotty, and is not uniform in how is affects absorption. it may have played a role in why you were unable to absorb enough iron from your regular diet, and had to take higher potency pills in order to make your iron go up.

Thanks for your replies guys.

I'm just wondering if Celiac Disease would be ruled out of the list of possiblities for me as I managed to absorb iron tablets a few of years back? (when my symptoms starting gradually getting worse)

Thanks

Definitely not.

richard

Thanks for all your replies guys!

I get my biopsy tomorrow morning so I will let you know how it goes. I'm a bit worried in case they find nothing....

Hi again

Just thought I would let you know that my biopsy wen really well yesterday. I have still got a sore throat though. My results are going to take 3 weeks which sucks! I just want to know.....

Once my biopsy was done, the doctors couldn't tell me anything about what they seen, they said that they can't tell until the results come through. Is it normal for them not to know roughly what they saw?

Thanks

Hi again

Just thought I would let you know that my biopsy wen really well yesterday. I have still got a sore throat though. My results are going to take 3 weeks which sucks! I just want to know.....

Once my biopsy was done, the doctors couldn't tell me anything about what they seen, they said that they can't tell until the results come through. Is it normal for them not to know roughly what they saw?

Thanks

Yes, that's what my doctor told me after my endoscopy was done last Wednesday.

Yes, that's what my doctor told me after my endoscopy was done last Wednesday.

Ok, thanks for your reply jkr :)