18 replies to this topic

#1 magaka

magaka

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 07:36 PM

I have been told by one person that they had celiac at birth but no longer have it. I have met two other people who said they had relatives who once had celiac but no longer have it. Everything I read says there is no cure and yet three people have insisted that they or their relatives no longer have it. It is not just that they are symptom free. Can they be correct?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Guest_Viola_*

Guest_Viola_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2005 - 07:54 PM

At certain stages in a young person's life the symptoms seem to leave, or lesson. Some believe that active hormons may have something to do with this, as they are most active in the teen age years and early 20s.
But there is no cure for Celiac, if they were properly diagnosed before, they still have it. ;)

#3 gf4life

gf4life

Our family "photo" as drawn by my daughter Hannah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 09:43 PM

I've heard this from multiple people as well. I think what Viola said is true. If they were properly diagnosed before, then they still have it. It could have gone into a sort of remission during puberty, but it is not gone, and they should still be gluten-free if they don't want to be sick again. There is always the possiblity that they were misdiagnosed in the first place, but the chances are slim. Years ago almost no one was diagnosed with celiac disease. So if I hear a story about a person diagnosed 20 years ago who outgrew the disease, chances are that they were actually correctly diagnosed. But they were told then that it was a childhood disease that COULD be outgrown. :(

I always cringe when people tell me their son (or daughter, sister, brother, etc.) "had that, but they outgrew it". I try to explain to them that it isn't possible to outgrow the disease, but sometime the symptoms appear to go away. Most are not receptive to hearing it. They don't want to think that they might have to do the diet again, but for me the diet might be a challenge, but it is so worth it to have myself and my kids healthy.

God bless,
Mariann
~West Coast-Central California~

Mariann, gluten intolerant and mother of 3 gluten intolerant children

#4 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 02:31 AM

They have not been cured...if they had it then they have it now. Sometimes symptoms can go away so you think you are ok then but your not. You can't outgrow it.
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#5 Guest_gfinnebraska_*

Guest_gfinnebraska_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2005 - 04:59 AM

Can I add a different twist to this topic? Are there many out there that believe in healing? Not through medicine but through God? I am praying for a healing... will it happen? I don't know! But I can pray!! :) Just curious if there are any other believers in miracles out there. :) God has healed me of other "minor" problems in my past... so I am believing for this as well!!!

#6 Rikki Tikki

Rikki Tikki

Tavi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 05:02 AM

Yes Kimberley I do believe in the power of prayer. I have been praying to be healed for a long time. I don't know if he is not listening or if he has another purpose for all of this. Miracles can and do happen. Keep praying.
Nostaglia is a file that removes the rough edges from the good old days!!!!

" 15 years of it's stress!"
"blood work show's a disease called celiac,
but it can't be that because it's rare!"
Diagnosed via blood and biopsy 2003

Not a medical professional just a silly celiac
offering support, my
experience and advice

#7 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 05:13 AM

Yes Kimberly I do believe in the power of prayer. I have seen it work in so many cases... and it can't hurt...just because God may not answer your prayer right away or at all doesn't mean He doesn't care or He is not listening. So keep praying :D
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

#8 Dan

Dan

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 09:49 AM

If the symptoms lesson during puberty, does the damage also lesson?

#9 lovegrov

lovegrov

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 09:59 AM

" If the symptoms lesson during puberty, does the damage also lesson?"

I don't think anybody, even an expert, can guarantee anything on this. I think it stands to reason that if symptoms disappear and tests come back normal or nearly so, the damage would be less. But are the heightened chances for all complications reduced? I don't think anybody could say.

richard

#10 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 11:08 AM

If the symptoms lesson during puberty, does the damage also lesson?

If symptoms go away that doesn't really tell much because alot of celiacs don't get symptoms but they still get damage.
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Arkansas

"One Nation, Under God"

#11 VegasCeliacBuckeye

VegasCeliacBuckeye

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 03:32 PM

How ironic?

I was back in Ohio this past weekend.

I decided to have a bite to eat at this small restaurant run/owned by a talented chef.

Anyway, that day, the bartender had called in sick. So, the General Manager had to work behind the bar. We started talking and "Celiac" came up -- his ex-girlfriend has it, so he was well acquainted and recommended a great appetizer for me.

Anyway, he told me that one of "thier" friends had been cured of it and there was a journal/study in the New England Journal of Medicine about it. He claimed this person was "definitely cured" and there was medical proof.

I called him a liar and demanded another glass of wine....funny, eh?

#12 Donna F

Donna F

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 03:44 PM

Oh, that would be so nice - to be spontaneously cured! :P

I went into a sort of "remission" a few years ago. I went from the diet to eating "normal" and felt fine for several months until it finally caught up with me again just 5 or 6 months later. I had less antibodies before the remission, when I had been feeling really, really aweful. However, as soon as my symptoms returned (and not nearly to the extent I had had them previously) my antibody count was much higher. I guess that means they were building up regardless of the symptom-free period I went through.

Ah well, I pray for a cure or remedy or something. I can't wait to have my freedom back! Sure, I may be eating healthier overall, and I feel great now, but it would also be nice not to have to scrutinize every single ingredient and worry about contamination everywhere I go!

-donna

#13 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 04:19 PM

Absolutely ridiculous....I was looking at samples from their archives online a few weeks ago--nothing of the sort--(btw, I was looking at their publication on the oats study...unfortunately, I would've had to pay to read it). No cure...I liked your response. :lol:

#14 Maggie1956

Maggie1956

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 04:43 PM

Yes Kimberley, I truly believe in the power of prayer and the healing power of God. I have been healed of asthma, which I had most of my childhood.
As we wait for the LORD to heal us, we need to totally and completely stick to a gluten-free diet. If God does heal us, and that decission is His alone, then we still have to have be tested again with all the tests necessary to confirm it.

Keep well, and stay happy. :D
SUNSHINE COAST, QUEENSLAND, AUSTRALIA

Maggie

Working towards wellness.
gluten-free (or trying to be) since December 1st 2004

positive blood test - Oct. 2004
positive biopsy -Nov. 2004

#15 Rikki Tikki

Rikki Tikki

Tavi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 05:31 PM

I was thinking today that if the end of my life was near, I would eat everything in sight.
Anyway, I don't think there is a cure, I think there would be too much damage, that maybe we couldn't see.
I don't want to take the chance. It took too many years for the doctor's to figure out what was wrong!
Nostaglia is a file that removes the rough edges from the good old days!!!!

" 15 years of it's stress!"
"blood work show's a disease called celiac,
but it can't be that because it's rare!"
Diagnosed via blood and biopsy 2003

Not a medical professional just a silly celiac
offering support, my
experience and advice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: