This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Rice With Taste

Synthia

Synthia Rookie

I would like to make rice with chicken beef or chinese flavor. but i have no idea how. if anyone knows a recipe for these it would be greatly appriacted. any other flavors would be great to :) we are just getting tired of plan old rice.

thanks for your answers everybody

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

The Fluffy Assassin Enthusiast
I would like to make rice with chicken beef or chinese flavor. but i have no idea how. if anyone knows a recipe for these it would be greatly appriacted. any other flavors would be great to :) we are just getting tired of plan old rice.

Gluten-free tamari is terrific if you can handle soy. San-J brand is available in most health food stores (actually labeled "Wheat Free"). Sorry I don't have any specific recipe suggestion; much to my own surprise, I haven't really eaten any rice since I found out about quinoa.

tarnalberry Community Regular

I'm not quite sure what you're looking for with "chicken beef flavor" or "chinese flavor". I mean, I make a chinese-inspired stir fry all the time, but they taste different, and the sauce is a part of the stir-fry (the meat/veggies), not the rice.

Can you be any more specific? Maybe reference some recipes that we can help convert?

Kylie Explorer

I have a few things that I do with rice that I use to change things up a bit. I use a rice cooker to make my rice, so I just throw everything in there and let the machine cook it.

For a more tropical rice

I use coconut milk instead of water and cut up some mango and toss it is

A pretty much goes with everything rice

Put the usual amount of rice and water, add 1-2 chicken bouillon cubes (depending on how much rice you are making) and then add a handful of raisins or craisins, and if you like nuts a handful of slivered almonds

Add rice and water to the cooker as always, add some onions and soy sauce (i use both la choy gluten free and san J)

For rice to go with mexican food

I make the rice normally for the rice cooker but throw in some cilantro (fresh or dried, whatever you have) and the juice from one lime squeezed. Also if you are a spicy person, you can put some jalapeneos and poblanos in there for more kick

These were the ones I could think of just sitting at the computer without my cooking binder. Being the only Celiac in the family, I cook lots of rice dishes. If you would like more, let me know. I also have recipes for other fun things to do with leftover rice if you are interested.

Serversymptoms Contributor

Cook pinto beans ( season to flavor) and rice. Then simply eat both together with a decent amount of each, very tasty ( base on ones seasoning). Ofcourse side items such as gluten ( and yeast free if like) bread.

irish daveyboy Community Regular

Hi Synthia,

You could try my recipe for Savoury Rice (suitable for vegetarians)

Open Original Shared Link

Best Regards,

David

daphniela Explorer

Cook your rice with gluten free chicken broth instead of water.

Make spanish rice with small can of tomato paste, two cans of water, one cup of rice. Fry the uncooked rice and spices (salt, pepper, garlic, cumin, chili powder, oregano) in some oil. one the rice is browned add the tomato paste and water. Cover and let simmer for 20 minutes.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lovegrov Collaborator

Cook it in broth in stead of water.

richard

CeliacMom2008 Enthusiast

We do broth instead of water with mushrooms added a lot.

lobita Apprentice

Sometimes I put a little olive oil in a stockpot and saute some garlic, celery, carrots and onions, then throw in some dry rice and let the rice get coated with oil and golden (becareful not to burn it). After that I throw in either water or chicken stock or both, and season it with salt. It changes up just the plain ole rice taste.

Synthia Rookie

thank you everybody for all your suggestion. they where just what i was looking for. it just that u can buy rice with flavor from all sorts of companies but i really wanted to make it myself. ( and i do have a huge bag of brown rice) now i can make a few so its not always plain with soy sauce. i guess the rice was just getting boring. and we have only just started eating it this last few months:P we eat a lot of potatoes and pasta too. but i hear rice is better for us which is what made me want to give it extra taste.

thanks again. your all so very helpful

Jana315 Apprentice

Risotto is also a wonderful way to change up rice! It is easier to make than you might think - check out recipes on foodnetwork - lots of Risotto variations are possible & I haven't found one that I didn't like yet.

MKat Explorer

Great rice website - Open Original Shared Link

You can look there for other recipes as well but this is one of the best for rice I think!

KathiSharpe Apprentice

If you're looking to dress up plain ol' white rice, get some good basmati rice and rinse well (at least 3 times). Melt a knob of butter in the pot and add the rice, and "fry" until all of the rice is golden with butter and is starting to look a bit cooked. Add the water (2:1 ratio to the rice) and cook over medium heat, covered, until "holes" appear in the top. Don't stir it while it's cooking.

At the butter stage, add in any of the following: garlic, minced onion (or any veg), tumeric, whole cumin seeds, sesame seeds. You can also use saffron, but be absolutely sure you're getting the real thing!

You can also make Jamaican rice & peas ("peas" are kidney beans in the US) - Drain the liquid from a can of kidney beans into a bowl. Put the beans in the pot. Rinse the rice and add it, too. Then make a 2:1 ratio of liquid to rice, using the bean "juice", coconut milk, and water. The more coconut, the better! I add about half of a scotch bonnet pepper, but if you don't like hot stuff (and I do mean HOT!) you can leave it out or substitute milder seasonings. It's good as a side dish to any meal, or by itself for breakfast. If you want a one-dish meal add some cut-up chicken or pork or pre-cooked beef as it's cooking. [and if you want a GREAT vegetable with rice & peas, find some calalloo! it's sort of like spinach - only better and more nutritious!]

Archived