40 replies to this topic

#1 Lesliean

Lesliean

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 09:10 AM

I've been amazed at the scope and breath of symptoms that have gone away since going gluten-free and was interested in some of your symptoms that have resolved with the GFD.

Some of my more unusual ones are:
(complete resolution of)asthma, swollen throat, congestion, loss of voice, dry eyes, yeast infections, hypoglycemia, strange length of periods, neck and back pain, circles under eyes, fatigue, irritability, circular bruising, pain in lower right of belly...

What are your more unusual symptoms that are gone now that you eat gluten-free?
Leslie

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 12:05 PM

No terribly unusual ones, but: cramping, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, gas, distention, low weight, pale complexion, and I guess mild depression/moodiness/irritability. The first...6 were very problematic, but are gone now. I've gained...26 pounds or 32% of my previous body weight (I was 5' 79 lbs at diagnosis and am now 5' 3" and 95.6 lbs and starting to gain rapidly (post-operation--in 2 months--15 pounds). :D Umm...I think I'm typically on the paler side, but I'm not ghostly pale like I used to be. Oh, and I'm happier now since I'm healthy!!!!! :lol:

Sorry, I'm not too unusual :lol:

#3 ianm

ianm

Metal God

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 12:06 PM

Extreme fatigue, brain fog (by far the worst of the symptoms), ringing ears, sporadic gut problems, dry mouth, seasonal allergies, circles under eyes, being overweight, pre-diabetes condition, high blood pressure.

My "female problems" went away when I got divorced. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
If all the world is indeed a stage and we are merely players then will someone give me the script because I have no f!@#$%^ clue as to what is going on!

What does not kill you makes you stronger.
Nobody cares about losers and quitters never win. If you fail with the cowards then what's the message you send?
Can't get it right, no matter what I do. Might as well be me and keep fu@$ing up for you. - Brian Thomas (Halloween, the greatest metal band ever!)

Ian Moore. Self diagnosed at 36 because the doctors were clueless.
Started low-carb diet early 2004, felt better but not totally gluten-free. Went 100% gluten-free early 2005 and life has never been better.

#4 Guest_Viola_*

Guest_Viola_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2005 - 02:05 PM

:lol: Ianm, very funny!
Yes, I too lost the brain fog, shakes, moodiness, some joint pain etc. Celiac has so many different symptoms and I find they vary even now with the amount of accidental gluten intake. Dry mouth and nervousness is the first symptom to show up with an accidental intake. It gets worse from there.
I'm still keeping my husband (38 yrs this month) so still have some of the female problems :lol: :rolleyes:

#5 ianm

ianm

Metal God

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 04:19 PM

I did have pain in my lower right gut once and it turned out to be my appendix that needed to be removed. :o
If all the world is indeed a stage and we are merely players then will someone give me the script because I have no f!@#$%^ clue as to what is going on!

Nobody cares about losers and quitters never win. If you fail with the cowards then what's the message you send?
Can't get it right, no matter what I do. Might as well be me and keep fu@$ing up for you. - Brian Thomas (Halloween, the greatest metal band ever!)

Started low-carb diet early 2004, felt better but not totally gluten-free. Went 100% gluten-free early 2005 and life has never been better.

#6 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 05:05 PM

I'm like celiac3270...I didn't have really unusual symptoms. My biggest 3 were nausea, anxiety, and weight loss. I did have some moodiness with it as well but that was not too bad(my parents may think otherwise :lol: )
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#7 Lesliean

Lesliean

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 08:58 PM

My dream is that doctors will care and read these symptoms and start looking for them in their patients. Even the 'usual' ones are good to hear about as this board gets questions every day about them being ok to have before and after.

Leslie
You all are sooo funny :lol:

#8 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 03:17 AM

I'm like celiac3270...I didn't have really unusual symptoms. My biggest 3 were nausea, anxiety, and weight loss. I did have some moodiness with it as well but that was not too bad(my parents may think otherwise :lol: )

Oh, right...I was anxious, too :P .

Since I was getting sick all the time, but seemingly randomly and I didn't know when it would hit, I would try to get everything done as early as possible (for example, a lot of weekend homework done on Friday, or studying for a test a couple days before I actually had to, in case I got sick and couldn't study the day before...).

Ian...lol :lol: and I like the quote in your signature: "What does not kill you makes you stronger." It's so true, though......

#9 skbird

skbird

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 07:41 AM

I had a long tough road of various symptoms - mood disorders (bipolar, depression, anxiety), insomnia, fatigue, migraine, IBS, constipation, irritability, foggy thinking, and weight gain. Most of this has been resolved, especially the mood disorders, though I still get irritable pretty easily at times. And my female issues haven't sorted themselves out yet but I just recently started taking sublingual B6 (and B12) so I'm hoping that helps (aparantly I'm pretty low on those). I'm hopeful those things will clear up some more...

Stephanie
Diagnosed by food challenge, 10/04
Gluten-free since 10/04
Gluten-sensitive genes: HLA-DQ 1,3 (Subtype 6,9)
Interstitial Cystitis, 7/07
Fibromyalgia, 6/11

#10 Guest_ajlauer_*

Guest_ajlauer_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2005 - 11:58 PM

I did have pain in my lower right gut once and it turned out to be my appendix that needed to be removed. :o

That was my first thought when I read the post. Leslie, you should see if there's some sort of test your dr can do to check your appendix. Since it does filter out poisons.... it kinda makes sense that it could hurt when you eat gluten. Still might be a good idea to get that checked out though.

#11 ianm

ianm

Metal God

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 08:31 AM

If it is appendicitis the pain will steadily increase and won't go away. Also you will experience fever and chills at the same time. The only test is the doctor will poke you in the lower right gut and if it hurts even more then it is most likely appendicitis. There really is no other test other than what I have described.

#12 Lesliean

Lesliean

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 08:26 AM

Thanks for the suggestion Ajlauer and your info Ianm. I really want to hear about all your symptoms. I said unusual at first because I thought it would be gory, but, this is Celiac.com and we expect gory. ;) I hope everyone will share their symptoms, cus they are all important.

I debate moving up my first colonoscopy because I assume that would check that sore spot in my gut but at day 90 gluten-free it is all gone. Maybe I'll just wait till I am 50 for that test? Or should I have the colonoscopy because I bled and was sore for 5 years even though it is gone now?

Leslie

#13 Ally2005

Ally2005

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 06:12 PM

Interesting, I had horizontal ridges in my nails that appeared 10 years ago and have not gone away until I went gluten-free two months ago. This is the only tangible thing I can say is different/better. Anyone else relate to this.

#14 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 06:19 PM

Ally-
I didn't have them but I know people who have had them(including my dad) and it signals deficiency in calcium or magnesium...it stands reason since celiacs can't absorb properly until going gluten free...
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#15 Rikki Tikki

Rikki Tikki

Tavi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 06:22 PM

Hi Leslie:

I don't know it can't hurt to just go ahead and have the colonscopy done. Even though the symptoms are gone now let me explain what happened to me. I had one done just before or around the time they diagnosed the celiac. He removed 5 pre-cancerous lesions. I guess there are 2 kinds, one that turns cancerous and one that does not. I hated the prep for the test but now I am glad I had it done.
Nostaglia is a file that removes the rough edges from the good old days!!!!

" 15 years of it's stress!"
"blood work show's a disease called celiac,
but it can't be that because it's rare!"
Diagnosed via blood and biopsy 2003

Not a medical professional just a silly celiac
offering support, my
experience and advice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: