3 replies to this topic

#1 sparkles

sparkles

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 10:59 AM

Lucky me... i am also diabetic. I would like to know if splenda (which contains maltodextrine) is gluten-free. I have written the co but no response. Being diabetic, it would be nice to have some sugar free options that i know are really gluten-free! Thanks for the input!!! pam
[font=Comic Sans Ms]

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 11:03 AM

Splenda is gluten free but I've heard these artificial sweeteners are so bad for you. Xylitol and Stevia are both natural sugars which are ok for diabetics and hypoglycemics...you may want to look into those.
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#3 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 11:49 AM

As Kaiti said, Splenda is gluten-free. If you begin to experience gastrointestinal symptoms from it, though, don't worry. Some people, celiac or not, will get diarrhea or other gastorintestinal symptoms from Splenda that they don't get from other sugars or sweetners even though it's gluten-free.

#4 skbird

skbird

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 07:55 AM

I get pretty sick from Splenda - not the same day but especially if I eat it a few days in a row (or even ever two or three days). By a week into it I start having mind-numbing fatigue and headaches. But mainly the fatigue. Last time this happened to me was last summer - I was eating the Ben and Jerry's Carb Conscious ice cream, about a fifth of a carton at a time. By the second week I was so tired it was all I could do to get in my car and drive home. I remember one Friday, I was supposed to go with my husband to a music festival that night after work and camp out, and I was crying while driving home because I was so tired. I made it to the futon and was just lying there crashed out when he came home. We didn't go. Then I thought of the Splenda (similar thing had happened to me about 6 months prior to this) and tossed the Ben and Jerry's. Two days later I was my old self again.

So I totally avoid all artifical sweeteners (my reaction to aspartame was even worse). Now I use blends of xylitol, stevia, and agave nectar for my cooking. Xylitol is the most like sugar, it's even granulated, but it has a sort of minty taste to it, plus isn't quite as sweet as sugar, so I mix with stevia to give it that sweet edge, and agave nectar is great, like honey, but with a low glycemic index of 10 (real honey is about 90). When I mix all three, no one can tell I have baked something that is low glycemic or nearly sugar free...

Stephanie
Diagnosed by food challenge, 10/04
Gluten-free since 10/04
Gluten-sensitive genes: HLA-DQ 1,3 (Subtype 6,9)
Interstitial Cystitis, 7/07
Fibromyalgia, 6/11

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: