This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Body Builders

damboyz1

damboyz1 Newbie

are there any body builders on here or people that work out often. if so what are some of the supplements you take proteins etc. i like to work out but havent been becuse of joint pain an fatigue. and im really not sure if protein is good to take now. i was just diagnosed yesterday so this is all new to me. thanx dave

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

northernsunshine Newbie
are there any body builders on here or people that work out often. if so what are some of the supplements you take proteins etc. i like to work out but havent been becuse of joint pain an fatigue. and im really not sure if protein is good to take now. i was just diagnosed yesterday so this is all new to me. thanx dave

I was having terrible joint pain due to a Vit D deficiency. Make sure to have those levels checked. It solved my problem. As for working out, I don't take supplements, but I do use Now Whey protein a few times a week. It is gluten-free and blends well with fruit and water. It is just pure Whey with no added flavors or sweeteners. I use it after my heavy weight-lifting days.

The great thins is, now that I am 15 months out from my diagnosis, I have a lot more energy and stamina and am much stronger than I was. I even took up running.

I hope this helps.

chasbari Apprentice

Open Original Shared Link

Not sure if this link will work or if it is OK for me to link to another site but this is a link to my discussion about my celiac from a high intensity workout perspective if you are at all interested. I am an amateur body builder at best. I have found there a re a few others over on the site that also suffer from Celiac.

Back in November of this past year working out was no longer an option and hadn't been for quite some time as the complications from joint pain from rheumatoid arthritis made almost any activity nearly impossible. I couldn't do a single chin-up anymore and dips were impossible as well. Once properly dx'ed for celiac after decades of trouble and worsening RA to accompany it I began to heal at an incredible rate. I slowly, at first was able to tolerate a bit of a workout and am now back into a full blown routine with pretty remarkable response for an old f*rt. I still have some joint instability that I have to watch but nothing that prevents me from working out. I was supplementing with a Vitamin D, calcium and magnesium gluten-free supplement but have been weaning myself off of it as of the last week with no ill effects. When diagnosed in February there were major concerns about my bone density. Not a problem anymore and I am adhering to a Paleo Diet as outlined by Loren Cordain, PhD. It makes gluten-free so, so much easier for me. So much so that I have only had one glutening since I began to go gluten-free. I have much more severe reaction to anything with SOY in it and have been hyper vigilant to eliminate any source of that from my diet. I eat no grains, no rice or corn any more. Fruit, non-legume veggies and meat. The one thing I do break from on the paleo regimen is eggs. I eat them with impunity and my cholesterol and overall blood chemistry as well as blood pressure is unreal healthy.

Good luck with your healing journey.

Chuck

Erin Elberson Newbie

Protein is almost never a bad thing, with the exception of kidney disease. Barring that, go for it. I am an amateur figure competitor and have used many supplements. Definitely agree that Vit D levels are crucial.

NOW brand is generally safe, well labeled and meets good manufacturing practices. I use their Digestive Enzymes and probiotics, Alpha Lipoic Acid, and ECGC (green tea extract), and mulitvitamin.

For proteins, my favorite are Beverly International Ultimate Muscle Protein or Muscle Provider (chocolate and vanilla are good, Cookies N Creme is not gluten free) or American Whey. Be careful of any glutamine peptides as they can be sourced from wheat. L-glutamine is fine and in fact helpful for gut health. I also like Emerald Balance Plus to cover my nutritional bases. I do take IDS brand L-glutamine with MSM. Personally I notice a sensitivity to electrolyte imbalance so use Electrolyte Stamina bu NutriMins.

I am a hard training athlete, 3-4 hrs of weights and about the same of cardio per week though.

Good luck and be well!

damboyz1 Newbie

thanx for all your input. dave

zero Newbie

Not really a supplement but I like purefit protein bars which have 18g of protein per bar and

are gluten free.

Archived