10 replies to this topic

#1 HydraWoman

HydraWoman

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 07:45 PM

I am not a very good cook and I was wondering what is the types of food I should stock up on. I can tolerate dairy and oats. I have rice, gluten-free pasta, fresh and frozen veggies, gluten-free crackers and bread, chex cereal, oats, cheerios, milk, yogurt and fresh fruit. What else should I be stocking up on?
gluten sensitive
gluten free starting 9/09

The most revolutionary act you can commit in today's society is to be publicly happy - Dr. Hunter Adams

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 northernsunshine

northernsunshine

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 05:55 AM

I am not a very good cook and I was wondering what is the types of food I should stock up on. I can tolerate dairy and oats. I have rice, gluten-free pasta, fresh and frozen veggies, gluten-free crackers and bread, chex cereal, oats, cheerios, milk, yogurt and fresh fruit. What else should I be stocking up on?

Do you like Indian or Thai food? I keep a lot of Tasty Bite Indian meals in my pantry as well as Thai Kitchen rice noodle packs. They are more expensive, but a great replacement for ramen. I also keep those steam in the bag Edemame packs in my freezer for snacking. Xochitl chips are fabulous and keep for a long time even after opening the bag.

#3 hannahp57

hannahp57

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 06:09 AM

sorry to put a damper on your post but Cheerios brand cereal is not gluten free. there are gluten free versions of oat cereal but those are made with commercially processed oats.
on a positive note, i keep cocoa or fruity pebbles around the house
i like ian's pizza kit. its fast and EASY and you just have to add your cheese and i think a couple things to the crust mix. its yumy :)

#4 HydraWoman

HydraWoman

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 05:59 PM

Thanks for the cheerios tip. I had them for my granddaughter and just assumed they were gluten free. I need to start reading lots of labels.
gluten sensitive
gluten free starting 9/09

The most revolutionary act you can commit in today's society is to be publicly happy - Dr. Hunter Adams

#5 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 02:13 PM

I guess it would depend on where you have to buy the food! If I can get something at one of the grocery stores near me or the health food store around the corner and they always have plenty in stock, I buy it as I need it.

If I have to drive far away or mail order it, then I stock up. If it is something I buy at Costco, I generally have to buy a case, so I stock up. Things I tend to stock up on are canned vegetables and meats, broth, bread, pretzels and cookies.

#6 hannahp57

hannahp57

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 06:03 PM

no problem! for anything containing oats.. they HAVE to say "certified gluten free" or they are glutenous. however the gluten free oats from Bob's Red Mills are amazing :)

what others kind of snack foods do you and your family like? maybe we can give recipe or good products that we've all tried... im still trying to come up with a comparable poptart recipe. i dont know why but i cant get over them :lol:
LUCK!

#7 curlyfries

curlyfries

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 05:08 AM

I like to keep tuna packets and nuts to carry with me when I go somewhere and don't know if I'll be stuck somewhere with nothing I can eat. *note*....make sure the nuts are safe.....some aren't.

I also always have in stock Kinnickinik frozen pizza crusts and tostadas. The tostadas I can top like a pizza or with refried beans and cheese.......lots of other possibilities there.
~~Lisa~~

"The greater the obstacle, the more glory in overcoming it."--Moliere

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be."--Douglas Adams

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!--Amanda

gluten-free since 1/08
Posted Image

#8 pbennett

pbennett

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 12:51 PM

do you like peanut butter? Gluten free peanut butter can be used in lots of recipes and for sandwiches. Even if you don't cook much, you can make the very simple 3 ingredient peanut butter cookie - 1 cup sugar, 1 cup peanut butter, 1 egg...

If you like Mexican food, beans, rice, tamales, pico de gallo, fajitas, nachos..

you'll need cheese!

I like to keep tuna packets and nuts to carry with me when I go somewhere and don't know if I'll be stuck somewhere with nothing I can eat. *note*....make sure the nuts are safe.....some aren't.

I also always have in stock Kinnickinik frozen pizza crusts and tostadas. The tostadas I can top like a pizza or with refried beans and cheese.......lots of other possibilities there.

#9 brigala

brigala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 04:24 PM

As you're just getting started, I would suggest Mrs. Leeper's boxed meals. They cook up just like Hamburger Helper (or Tuna Helper, or Chicken Helper...). I don't use them much anymore, but they helped take some of the "OMG, what can I cook?" out of the picture when I was first starting out.

I was a lousy cook, too. One huge advantage of the Celiac thing is that I am now seriously learning to cook. I actually eat much better food now, and nobody in my family complains that all our meals are gluten-free -- because they're better and truly home-cooked meals with real ingredients instead of stuff thrown together out of cans.

Pasta is really the only thing I buy special gluten-free in any significant quantities anymore. Of course I buy other specialty foods, too, but as occasional food and not as staples.

-Elizabeth

gluten-free since mid-2007.
Symptoms: "IBS," chronic fatigue, chronic pain. 

Celiac is a family affair for us; my mom, sister, and one of my sons are gluten free. At least it makes holiday gatherings easier. 

#10 Amyleigh0007

Amyleigh0007

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 05:33 PM

I always make sure I have plenty of Pamela's pancake and baking mix. You can do anything with it; make waffles and pancakes, bread chicken nuggets and pork chops, make biscuits. I also make sure I have lots of Tinkyada pasta on hand. The new gluten free Betty Crocker mixes are great!
Amy

1989: I am diagnosed with IBS.
3/08: 8-year-old son diagnosed with Celiac (blood test and biopsy) and allergies to corn, egg whites, soy, peanuts, walnuts, wheat, and clam.
6/08: My Celiac test is negative.
7/08: I go completely gluten free despite negative test and NO MORE IBS SYMPTOMS!!
7/09: My Enterolab gluten sensitivity gene testing results indicate I have one Celiac gene and one gluten sensitivity gene.
8/09: I am diagnosed with Celiac based on gene testing results and positive response to diet.

#11 merry0709

merry0709

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 04:31 PM

I`ve been gluten-free for 5 years. This is what I do. If you have a Trader Joe`s nearby, they have alot of gluten-free stuff. gluten-free frozen pancakes, very good. Their rice pasta good and reasonable. I buy chicken breasts fresh or shrimp, cut them up and sautee with mixed fresh or frozen veggies whatever you like, then dump some of the Trader Joe`s cooking sauces on. They have all kinds, Italian, Indian, Thai curry, etc.
then heat it up. You got a healthy awesome meal gluten-free in 5 minutes. And you can do it a ton of different ways. Put rice or pasta on the side, you got a full meal.

Another thing you might want to try is quinoa. It`s a seed you cook like rice, very healthy, you can sweeten it, or put butter on cheese, herbs whatever. Really good.

Another one----keep around potatoes ( if you can have them ) or sweet potatoes to bake in the micro. A little butter, cinnamon
and sweetener, awesome. 5 minutes.

Keep frozen berries onhand to snack on in the P.M. instead of ice cream.

But my basic word of advice to you would be----hang up most processed foods altogether. Go to a fruit, veg and meat market, and eat alot of raw and learn how to cook from scratch a bit. It`s not that hard, cheaper, and you don`t have to be reading labels, eating all the chemical crap and be worried about getting sick all the time from additives. Reading labels forever is too much of a hassle for me. If you just eat stuff in it`s natural state, you don`t have to worry about it. If you can quit eating junk, and start eating stuff in it`s natural state, you are going to feel so much better in no time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: