#1 GlutenGalAZ

GlutenGalAZ

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 05:06 PM

Hi.
I've known for a while now that I have a problem with Tomatoes and Potatoes. Been reading up and am eliminating them and trying to eliminate nightshades in general.

For those that are Nightshade Free how do you make:

1.) Taco Meat???
My husband and I would brown meat, drain and add tomato sauce and chili powder.
NOW.... though can't do either what is a sub for Chili Powder (since it is from peppers/nightshades)?
**I've never used Cumin before in cooking but would it be a sub for chili powder?

2.) Spaghetti???
We sometimes use Alfredo now but does anyone know how to make somethig like the Nomato Sauce?

3.) Pizza Sauce??
Other then Alfredo and Olive Oil are there any other suggestions to try out?

I was thinking that maybe we can post suggestions for alternatives, pointers, recipes etc.

Thank for any input :)
Rebecca

Partial Gluten Free March 2007
Completely Gluten Free February 2008
Tapioca Starch/Flour Free April 2008
No MSG July 2008
Cut out Nitrates//Nitrites January 2009
Problems with Tomatoes and Potatoes -- Cut out Nightshades Aug '09

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 05:21 PM

Hi.
I've known for a while now that I have a problem with Tomatoes and Potatoes. Been reading up and am eliminating them and trying to eliminate nightshades in general.

1.) Taco Meat???
NOW.... though can't do either what is a sub for Chili Powder (since it is from peppers/nightshades)?
**I've never used Cumin before in cooking but would it be a sub for chili powder?

2.) Spaghetti???
We sometimes use Alfredo now but does anyone know how to make somethig like the Nomato Sauce?

3.) Pizza Sauce??

I was thinking that maybe we can post suggestions for alternatives, pointers, recipes etc.

1. I'm afraid I still use McCormicks Taco Seasoning; about the only nightshade I permit myself. You don't need tomato sauce. Since I don't do corn we make a taco-less taco, with meat, refried beans, cheese, lettuce, avocado, sour cream. DH adds the chopped tomato and salsa.

2. I do a lot of pesto pasta--I love it.

3. TOMATO SUBSTITUTE (Red sauce)

"Though nothing really tastes like tomatoes, you can get some of the
properties with the right combination of ingredients. Carrots and beets
pureed together in a blender actually make a very red sauce. Add citric
and ascorbic acid, and you'll have the basis for Nomato.

The Nomato sauce ingredients are basically:
Carrots, water, beets, onion, lemon juice, salt, garlic, ascorbic acid
(vitamin C) and herbs." Thanks to RiceGuy. I now can't have the citric acid :(
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 lesliemac59

lesliemac59

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 06:34 PM

I used to make a spaghetti sauce for my son when he was on the Feingold diet. It was used beets instead of tomatoes and instead of the citric acid, it used vinegar. If you can get a hold of a copy of the recipes from his diet (it is for ADHD. Cuts out all natural salicylic acid which is in tomatoes, apples, and other foods), you will be able to find some nightshade free subs that are pretty good. I gave away that cookbook years ago and really don't remember all of it.

#4 ranger

ranger

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 07:17 AM

[quote name='GlutenGalAZ' date='Aug 1 2009, 06:06 PM' post='551691']
Hi.

1.) Taco Meat???

2.) Spaghetti???

3.) Pizza Sauce??

Sometimes I make pizza with just pesto , provalone, and a liitle parm. Love it, but I love anything with basil. In fact, as soon as I get time, I'm going to make a sweet basil pudding. We'll see.

#5 angieInCA

angieInCA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 12:49 PM

For Taco meat you can use ground Cumin (actually what gives chili powder it's flavor, chili's git it it's kick), salt and pepper. After browning the ground beef, drain fat and seasoning and add some water and simmer uncovered for about 5 min. The amount of seasoning and water will depend on the amount of beef. I use about 1/2 cup of water to a pound.

I don't have a nightshade problem and I do eat tomatoes but I'm not a real big fan of them. I don't have a recipe for red spagetti sauce. I do pesto most times.

As for Pizza, I will use Pesto or I make taco pizza where I use refried beans and taco meat for the base

Transplanted Southerner in Sunny So.Cal.
Misdiagnosed 47 years
Diagnosed Gluten Intollerent Aug. 22. '08
Blood Tests Weak Positive to Negative probably due to low Gluten intake for 8 weeks before testing.
Opted not to have Biopsy.
Positive DH testing Oct. 30,'08
Gluten free since Oct. 28, '08

Diagnosed with Fibromyalgia May 10,'13

#6 Jana315

Jana315

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 10:16 AM

Nightshade free is pretty challenging when it comes to my favorite classics...pizza & spaghetti! I second the option of using pesto - YUM! Also, you can use Alfredo as a sauce for your pizza. Rachel Ray carmelized some onions the other day for her white pizza - just added cheese on top of the onions. I made the beets/carrot home-made nomato sauce the other day - the flavor was pretty good, but I think I had an issue with the beets...drats. For tacos, salt, pepper, cumin & garlic - if you like. Try to find some pink peppercorns or ground sumac for a nightshade-free spice.

GL - Jana
self-diagnosed gluten intolerant May 2009
positive dietary response
gluten free since 5/13/2009
nightshade free since 5/16/2009
DQ2, DQ8 negative, Kimball Genetics 7/2009

#7 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 01:52 PM

Yeah, it is amazing what can be substituted for. But I have yet to find any nightshade-free way of making ratatouille :lol: :lol: This used to be my signature dish :P
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

#8 GlutenGalAZ

GlutenGalAZ

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 01:14 PM

The Nomato sauce ingredients are basically:
Carrots, water, beets, onion, lemon juice, salt, garlic, ascorbic acid
(vitamin C) and herbs." Thanks to RiceGuy. I now can't have the citric acid :(

Has anyone figured out a good combo to make this? I bought a small can of carrots and beets. I know it will be trial and error but from others experiences do you use the same amount of beets/carrots or more of one then the other. Do you think you can freeze this sauce to use leftovers later or refrigerator 2-3 days?
Instead of ascorbic acid can you use vinegar or lemon ?
Thanks

I used to make a spaghetti sauce for my son when he was on the Feingold diet. It was used beets instead of tomatoes and instead of the citric acid, it used vinegar. If you can get a hold of a copy of the recipes from his diet (it is for ADHD. Cuts out all natural salicylic acid which is in tomatoes, apples, and other foods), you will be able to find some nightshade free subs that are pretty good. I gave away that cookbook years ago and really don't remember all of it.

Thanks for the info.... I looked up some info on the Feingold Diet. Thanks again

Thanks everyone for the replies...
It sounds like Pesto Sauce is very popular... so sounds like it is good (yummy)?
Does anyone has an easy (not too many ingredients) for Pesto Sauce?

Oh... is pepper like what you use on food (salt and pepper) nightshade free? Or is it part of the pepper (red and green peppers) family where it is a nightshade?

Thanks again!!
Rebecca

No MSG July 2008

#9 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 02:33 PM

It sounds like Pesto Sauce is very popular... so sounds like it is good (yummy)?
Does anyone has an easy (not too many ingredients) for Pesto Sauce?

Oh... is pepper like what you use on food (salt and pepper) nightshade free? Or is it part of the pepper (red and green peppers) family where it is a nightshade?

Thanks again!!

You can buy pesto and try it out to see if its worth making your own. Basically it's fresh basil, oilive oil, pine nuts and parmesan, and yes, it is yummy.

Peppercorns, forunately, come from a different family.
Neroli

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

#10 GlutenGalAZ

GlutenGalAZ

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 05:44 PM

You can buy pesto and try it out to see if its worth making your own. Basically it's fresh basil, oilive oil, pine nuts and parmesan, and yes, it is yummy.

Peppercorns, forunately, come from a different family.

Oh great!! I am happy that I can still have pepper... don't care too much for salt but I like adding pepper to things :D
Thanks for the post about the Pesto... I will take a look at the store next time we go grocery shopping (it would be by the spaghetti sauce right?)

Thanks again!
Rebecca

No MSG July 2008

#11 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 09:30 PM

For tacos, I use just plain ground beef or I might add chopped onions. Daughter prefers it that way.

I can't have dairy any more, but I used to love spaghetti or other pasta tossed with a bit of butter, parmesan cheese, black pepper and plenty of Italian seasoning. I also like pasta mixed with kidney beans and black pepper.

#12 GlutenGalAZ

GlutenGalAZ

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:41 AM

For tacos, I use just plain ground beef or I might add chopped onions. Daughter prefers it that way.

I can't have dairy any more, but I used to love spaghetti or other pasta tossed with a bit of butter, parmesan cheese, black pepper and plenty of Italian seasoning. I also like pasta mixed with kidney beans and black pepper.

Sounds good! The noodles with the beans sounds different hmmmm do you add olive oil or anything for a sauce base? Thanks

I bought a small jar of Pesto Sauce last night -- Classico. Looking forward to trying it this weekend.

Any other food suggestions or anything please keep them coming =)

Does anyone know if there are any seasonings other then the Cracked Red Pepper that is a nightshade to watch out for???

Thanks!!
Rebecca

No MSG July 2008

#13 GlutenGalAZ

GlutenGalAZ

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 10:55 AM

I bought a small jar of Pesto Sauce last night -- Classico. Looking forward to trying it this weekend.

Yumm. Finally got to try the Classico Pesto this week. Turned out good. A little goes a long way =) I slowly put it in and stired it haha (happy I didn't do globs). It tastes really good cold too I had spiral noodles with chicken and pesto then kept a little of the noodles to the side with pesto on it and tried it when it was cold and it was still good.... Oh and last night I made noodles with some pesto and put it in a salad yumm!
I want to try making my own when I have more time but this is really good for now =)
Im look forward to trying this as pizza sauce (very little sauce)...

BTW: I called Classico (since their web mainly just says all red and white sauces are gluten free) They said that it is gluten free / no gluten ingredients. Asked them about the refirgerator time and they said approx 3weeks after that it is up to you b/c the freshness taste will possibly be different.

Thanks everyone for all of your input =)
Rebecca

No MSG July 2008

#14 GlutenGalAZ

GlutenGalAZ

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 10:57 AM

For Taco meat you can use ground Cumin (actually what gives chili powder it's flavor, chili's git it it's kick), salt and pepper. After browning the ground beef, drain fat and seasoning and add some water and simmer uncovered for about 5 min. The amount of seasoning and water will depend on the amount of beef. I use about 1/2 cup of water to a pound.

I don't have a nightshade problem and I do eat tomatoes but I'm not a real big fan of them. I don't have a recipe for red spagetti sauce. I do pesto most times.

As for Pizza, I will use Pesto or I make taco pizza where I use refried beans and taco meat for the base

My husband and I are wanting to make tacos tonight....
Does anyone know how much Cumin is appropriate with its flavor (we are use to chili powder) for about a pound of ground turkey? I was thinking of doing the mix mentioned above Cumin, Salt and Pepper but I have never used Cumin before (I bought some for a different recipe but haven't made it yet).

Any input on using Cumin?

Thanks
Rebecca

No MSG July 2008

#15 glutefree

glutefree

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 12:50 PM

Hi.

1.) Taco Meat???

2.) Spaghetti???

3.) Pizza Sauce??

Hi I use ground cumin for taco seasoning. I also use cilantro liberally in my mexican food to give it flavor. cumin is not a sub for chili powder, but a good sub for taco seasoning. Chili powder makes me violently ill so I threw it out of our spice cabinet. I don't really feel like I need a substitute since I can't handle anything spicy and that seems to be the only thing that chili powder adds to things.

I found a recipe for Nomato sauce - here is the link. I have not tried, but it has good feedback.

http://www.recipezaa...to-sauce-359835

I am dairy free too, so I don't even do alfredo. I'll have to try the pesto route as well as the nomato.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: