24 replies to this topic

#1 CurtissAnn

CurtissAnn

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 06:27 PM

I have just moved to South Mobile, Alabama from Oklahoma. Would love to meet with other Celiacs/Gluten-Intolerant of the area.

CurtissAnn
8 years gluten-free.
Also mostly soy and dairy-free.
CurtissAnn,
Gluten-free in Alabama

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 luvthelake21

luvthelake21

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:53 PM

Just wanted to say hi and welcome to the South and the forum. I live in Birmingham, Alabama. If you have any questions just ask and some one will try to help you out,there is a very great group of people here.

#3 BamaGal

BamaGal

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 09:30 AM

Just wanted to say hi as well. I live in Prattville, which is a suburb of Montgomery. Would love to chat sometime about celiac disease and the gluten free diet! :D

#4 luvthelake21

luvthelake21

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 05:28 PM

Hey Bamagirl and welcome to the forum. Are you a Alabama or Auburn fan? I assume you are for Alabama. Nice to see some Southern girls on here. How are you doing? Lets chat sometime

#5 BamaGal

BamaGal

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 09:24 AM

Hello! I am a die-hard Auburn fan. I know the name is misleading, but, oh well, WAR EAGLE!!!!! I didn't see your e-mail address on your profile. Drop me a line sometime at wheadley@knology.net. would love to chat!

:P

#6 luvthelake21

luvthelake21

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 07:45 PM

Good i am a big Aubrn fan also.waaaarrrr eagle...............
e-mail lynnmartin2@hotmail.com

#7 luvthelake21

luvthelake21

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 07:44 PM

Where r the Alabama Girls?

#8 sredrobin

sredrobin

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 12:55 PM

I have just moved to South Mobile, Alabama from Oklahoma. Would love to meet with other Celiacs/Gluten-Intolerant of the area.

CurtissAnn
8 years gluten-free.
Also mostly soy and dairy-free.

Hey CurtissAnn
I am new to the Celiac forms and also to the disease. I would so love to find a doctor near Birminham that can help me..

#9 Mel is well

Mel is well

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 11:18 AM

Hi CurtissAnn,

I have Celiac Disease and live in West Mobile, AL. I have been thinking about trying to start up some type of dinner group, but haven't found the time or motivation yet. :-) I have also been thinking about sending a letter to some of the locally-owned restaurants around town to see if they will identify gluten in their menus or come up with some gluten-free options. There are definitely a lot of Celiacs around Mobile - I keep meeting people in the gluten-free section of my local Bruno's and Winn-Dixie. :D -Melissa

#10 rebeccaspacex

rebeccaspacex

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 10:05 AM

Hi CurtissAnn,

I have Celiac Disease and live in West Mobile, AL. I have been thinking about trying to start up some type of dinner group, but haven't found the time or motivation yet. :-) I have also been thinking about sending a letter to some of the locally-owned restaurants around town to see if they will identify gluten in their menus or come up with some gluten-free options. There are definitely a lot of Celiacs around Mobile - I keep meeting people in the gluten-free section of my local Bruno's and Winn-Dixie. :D -Melissa

I also live in West Mobile and have lots of trouble finding new restaurants that are safe. There are so many chain restaurants here I would love to be involved in a dinner group where we could start to provide info. to the area places. I know the owner/chef at Blu Bistro is very knowledgeable, but it's pricey. Be careful ordering the spicy chicken soup at Carrabba's because twice I have found a piece of pasta in it. I basically don't order it anymore for that reason. They have some other great stuff though.

Bonefish and Outback are two fairly safe bets. The lunch at Sunflower Cafe on Airport serves a sandwich and pizza that are gluten-free. Also, the Sunflower Cafe in Fairhope serves Redbridge, which is Budweiser's gluten-free beer and is pretty good. Nothing like going to a restaurant for beer and pizza! I moved from LA (Los Angeles, not Lower AL) where they have gluten-free pizza delivery but I feel lucky to be in a place where I can at least go to a restaurant and have it even if it is 25 min. away. Fresh Market and sometimes Winn Dixie carry Redbridge beer, also.

Let me know if you want to start up a group together. I've been here two years but I don't know a lot of people.

#11 CurtissAnn

CurtissAnn

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 05:40 AM

Just wanted to say hi and welcome to the South and the forum. I live in Birmingham, Alabama. If you have any questions just ask and some one will try to help you out,there is a very great group of people here.

Thanks for the welcome. I am a member of GIG, know there is an active GIG in Birmingham-- but that is far away!
CurtissAnn,
Gluten-free in Alabama

#12 CurtissAnn

CurtissAnn

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 05:57 AM

Hi CurtissAnn,

Hi, Melissa-- I'm just now getting back on here. I have yet to learn well the operation of this forum. Would like to connect with you and other celiacs in Mobile. I, too, have 'flirted' with the idea of starting a group, but with trying to get settled and taking care of an active grandchild, I have little time or energy left.
CurtissAnn

#13 CurtissAnn

CurtissAnn

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 06:02 AM

I also live in West Mobile and have lots of trouble finding new restaurants that are safe. There are so many chain restaurants here I would love to be involved in a dinner group where we could start to provide info. to the area places. I know the owner/chef at Blu Bistro is very knowledgeable, but it's pricey. Be careful ordering the spicy chicken soup at Carrabba's because twice I have found a piece of pasta in it. I basically don't order it anymore for that reason. They have some other great stuff though.

Bonefish and Outback are two fairly safe bets. The lunch at Sunflower Cafe on Airport serves a sandwich and pizza that are gluten-free. Also, the Sunflower Cafe in Fairhope serves Redbridge, which is Budweiser's gluten-free beer and is pretty good. Nothing like going to a restaurant for beer and pizza! I moved from LA (Los Angeles, not Lower AL) where they have gluten-free pizza delivery but I feel lucky to be in a place where I can at least go to a restaurant and have it even if it is 25 min. away. Fresh Market and sometimes Winn Dixie carry Redbridge beer, also.

Let me know if you want to start up a group together. I've been here two years but I don't know a lot of people.

Hi! How I appreciate your info on the restaurants. I love Outback and Carrabbas, but get tired of them. I must seek the Sunflower Cafe. I find Fresh Market and Virginia's Healthfood pretty much of a disappointment, but not too inconvenient, since I order most of my food. I stick mostly with plain whole foods cooked at home.

I, too, would be willing to help start a group. I don't know many people, am pretty much of a happy introvert.

CurtissAnn

#14 BamaGal

BamaGal

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 09:32 AM

Hello Alabama folks. Just wanted to say hi. As far as the Mobile area, I don't know much about that area down there unless it is the chain restaurants. I live in Prattville, which is a suburb of Montgomery. And, for Sredrobin, I went to see a Gastroenterologist in Birmingham a couple weeks ago that specializes in Celiac. I really liked him a lot, and I would be glad to give you his information. Just drop me a quick e-mail and I'll send it to you. (My e-mail address is in a previous post above) I have not found a lot of help from the doctors around Montgomery. You are so right, there are a lot more people buying gluten free stuff now. My local Publix tells me they get requests all the time for gluten free stuff. Stay in touch! I'll be glad to help anybody that I can!!!! Hopefully we can all stay informed on what our great state has to offer us!!!!! :P

#15 ktnhsv

ktnhsv

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 02:37 PM

I'm not in the Mobile area............but I am in the Huntsville area. :) Just wanted to say howdy to the AL folks. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: