This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Beyond The Scd Diet

YoloGx

YoloGx Rookie

Has anyone here seen any info on this restricted no grain diet that also has no eggs, sugars, fruit, nuts, tomatoes/potatoes/green peppers, yams and sweet potatoes, cheese and milk (except for non fat plain yogurt)?

It seems to be what my partner and myself have to rely on to become and stay healthy since besides celiac we also have candida overgrowth and many dietary sensitivities and allergies. Thus we eat a lot of vegetables and use meat for protein. We eat squash (summer and winter squash) for most of our carbohydrates. Lately I have taken to munching on whole cucumbers etc. as a snack. I do tolerate sunflower seeds quite well fortunately and my partner does fine with ground up sesame as well as eggs in moderation.

My feeling is that others here have discovered this diet too. Its just not popularized since if you don't have to eat this way, why would you? Yet I am noticing good health benefits beyond our respective conditions and wonder if it benefits others similarly by making them more vibrant.

I have noticed that with this radical dietary change my old food addictions and cravings seem to have disappeared except for an occasional nostalgic wistfulness. My belief is that the candida overgrowth contributed to a lot of my previous cravings. This diet is a definite way to keep the fungal overgrowth away as well as the cravings plus any excess weight off.

Bea

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ms Jan Rookie

No, I haven't seen any structural info on such a diet, but I'm myself on a modified version of the SCD that takes me very close. The only thing from the list I do eat is non-sugary fruit and green peppers. I don't have yoghurt, and the only meat I can presently digest is chicken. I've now done six mths on this diet, and it has worked very well for me, too. don't crave anything I can't have (just wish a lot!!), but I still hope to be able to widen my choices to other SCD legal foods little by little.

Just realized that you'd excluded nuts as well which I do eat - so I guess I'm not as close to your restricted diet as I thought ...

Jan

jerseyangel Proficient

I've not seen anything structured like this either, but I have settled into a diet, just very recently, of meats, veggies (except legumes), berries and other less-sweet fruit, nuts, eggs in moderation (in a recipe), nonfat Greek yogurt, and some cheeses. I drink spring water and a cup of tea a day.

For me, it was a combination of being carbohydrate sensitive, needing to lower my blood pressure, and lose the weight I have gained since becoming gluten-free. I think the sugar, especially, was causing a craving to eat more simple carbohydrates. I have lost that intense craving--it's more of a "nostalgic wistfulness", as you said, yolo. I'm still detoxing from cutting the sugar--mild headaches especially in the morning. Drinking a lot of water, I find, helps greatly.

I also am super sensitive in regards to gluten. I had a feeling that possibly all the rice flour and starches I was consuming were affecting me adversely. I could eat baked goods I made myself mostly without stomach issues, but there were other things, like edema, brain fog, and bloating.

I discussed this with my internist just yesterday. She was happy with my progress from the past two weeks of implementing this--I have lost 5 pounds and my blood pressure was good. The interesting thing was that she had taken me off of my diuretic two weeks ago (another doctor where I lived previously had prescribed them) and I still lost weight. I also feel "clearer" and my stomach seems happy so far. :)

momxyz Contributor

have you read about Fructose Malabsorption?

Its been discussed on other threads. The way you're eating is farily close to what's recommended for that.

ddery Newbie

Posting on behalf of my mother who has celiac disease and intolerances to all dairy and to rice - in addition to all grains and gluten. The intolerances as well as irritable bowel syndrome have caused her to lose so much weight that she fears she will die of malnutrition. Looking for meal replacements (drinks or bars) that do not contain dairy, rice or gluten. If you have any brand names or specific products, please post the information here. Thanks so much. Jan

chatycady Explorer
Posting on behalf of my mother who has celiac disease and intolerances to all dairy and to rice - in addition to all grains and gluten. The intolerances as well as irritable bowel syndrome have caused her to lose so much weight that she fears she will die of malnutrition. Looking for meal replacements (drinks or bars) that do not contain dairy, rice or gluten. If you have any brand names or specific products, please post the information here. Thanks so much. Jan

Lara bars - they are made with fruits and some with nuts. No dairy, rice, gluten, starch etc. I can get them at my grocery store in the health food department. I really like them, but don't buy them often as they are $1 + each

Ms Jan Rookie

Ddery,

Sounds as if your mother is more or less already on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD). Try looking at the official website for more info and good ideas:

Open Original Shared Link

And the pecanbread site (though aimed at parents for autistic kids) is also very helpful:

Open Original Shared Link

I'm not sure why you want to go the meal replacement route, since most of these items contain harmful additives of one kind or another, and in any case are often mixed in a way that can make it difficult for and IBS patient to digest. But if it's about things having to be easy in between, here are some 'healthy' ideas:

Nuts and coconuts (if she can eat them, they help keep up the weight)

raisins or other dried fruit (just make sure they are sundried with no additives at all)

Virgin Coconut oil (to cook in, but can also be eaten by the spoon to get some fats)

Coconut milk (must be with no additives)

Canned tuna in oil (pure oil and nothing else)

Avocado

Bananas

Good luck!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

chasbari Apprentice

Actually this looks very much like Loren Cordain's Paleo Diet. I started out generic gluten-free to little effect other than feeling not worse. When I switched to paleo (and eventually added eggs in for cheap protein) I got better real fast. I lost body fat and my gut really started to heal. I do eat fruit, though, as well as veggies and lean meats but stay away from all nightshades and legumes because of my rheumatoid arthritis as he recommends. I just realized I have been enduring an RA flare for the last week or so. The amazing thing is that it took this long to realize it. When I would go into a flare before my celiac diagnosis I knew I was in one because it basically meant I was unable to function at all. This time I was in some pain but it manifested itself more in me being a royal PITA to my family.... I mean more so than normal!

CS

AliB Enthusiast

Hi (ddery) Jan.

Weight loss is an indication that the body quite obviously isn't working properly, but when people lose weight like that they fear that if they don't eat grains and starches they will get even thinner.

Yes that can happen a little, but because the weight loss is due to malnutrition, by far the most important thing to do is ensure that ALL the food your Mother has is very rich in valuable and especially natural nutrition (not synthetically added!) (and organic where possible). It is that that will help her body to heal. As well as more nutritious food she needs to make sure that products that will not contribute to her health are removed from her diet.

If the grains and starches are contributing to the damage then they need to be replaced with other non-damaging foods. The important thing is to be 'fit', not 'fat'.

Farmers will feed their stock grains to fatten them for market, but it does not contribute to their overall health.

I have come to realise over the last 18 months since my digestion collapsed that it is not the quantity of food that is important, but the quality. The more nutritious the food, the less the body actually needs. As most processed carbohydrate products, even gluten-free ones, are nutritionally devoid, instead of contributing to our health they are actually draining us of valuable nutrients as the body tries to digest them.

Many of us when starting the SCD had similar issues to your Mother, but gradually we have been healing and we have all benefited by following the diet.

Things like Lara Bars are very nice but they are VERY high in natural carbohydrate from all the sugars in the dried fruit. If your Mother has any issues with hypoglycemia, or sugar metabolism then they are best avoided.

One way I enjoy of getting good nutrition is fruit and vegetable smoothies. I pop a cored apple (you can peel it if you don't like the bits in the juice), a peeled carrot or two, a few grapes, a few lettuce leaves and some cucumber, or a combination of other fruits and veg into a blender with enough water to just cover them and give it a good whizz. I enjoy that as a breakfast - adding a banana makes it more filling too. Sometimes I add a bit of the SCD 24-hour yogurt to it which is lovely.

What can your Mother eat?

River* Contributor

I too think that rice is a problem for myself as well as all other grains, dairy and soy, eggs, apples, pears, potatoes...

I can tolerate hemp seeds and hemp protein powder though.

I use a hemp protein powder from the company Prairie Naturals. It is gluten free and manufactured on gluten free lines as well. I just called the company a few days ago to check.

It does help if you are looking for a nutritious base for a drink. You can add cod liver oil and flax seed oil to it and that should taste gross enough to feel good and help her.

I eat a lot of wild fish. I don't tolerate farmed or grain fed animals very well.

Maybe she should test out pasture fed meats and only wild seafood if she hasn't already.

I feel very good when I eat oysters! Unlike anything else.

Green pea flour feels fine to me..actually good by bobs red mill but, I don't know how to bake with that alone. Maybe your mom would like to try that or chick pea flour? I haven't tried this yet but maybe bob's red mill makes a gluten free version as well..

keep us updated on what is working for your mom, I would love to know.

Archived