2 replies to this topic

#1 carleyq

carleyq

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 10:39 AM

i am a vegetarian.. does anyone have any information on gluten-free meat alternatives? I know that there are certain veggie burgers that are gluten-free. (however i dont know which ones) Unfortunately, my understanding is that most alternatives are made using wheat. If anyone could help me out i was REALLY appreciate it.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kejohe

kejohe

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 10:39 PM

TVP or textured vegetable protien is the main thing used in meat alternatives that you need to avoid. I believe that textured soy protien is questionable as well.

What exactly are you looking for, hot dogs, burger patties or a ground meat substitute? I use tofu a lot in place of meat, though I am not a vegetarian. I also have used a mixture of beans and other veggies before. I will do an internet search and get back to you.
Kathleen
Son has been gluten-free since December 2001

#3 Clarisa

Clarisa

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 05:44 AM

Hello everyone!

This is my first time posting (yes, I'm a bit of a lurker, but will post more often). I'd like to know if anyone has any ideas or suggestions regarding meals or just general food options, recipes, etc. for someone like me who is a vegetarian and has celiac disease. I've become so frustrated with it.

I've been a vegetarian for nearly 13 years (gave up all forms of meat --yes, that includes fish-- for health reasons). I was diagnosed with celiac disease nearly 1.5 years ago. It has been an extremely difficult ordeal especially when it comes to work-related social events but that is a whole other bag of worms! LOL!

Any recipes, words of encouragement, cookbooks, etc. would be most appreciated :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: