This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Confused Since 2006 When It All Started Help

CC Long Island

CC Long Island Newbie

Hi, My name is CC in 2004 I was dx with herniated discs in my lower back L4 L5 S1. prior to this dx I had 2c-sections 2002 and 2004. I had basic issues around certain foods like onion etc, that i could not eat with out a D-attack for hours Then in 2006 I had undergone pre-op clearence when they discovered that I had Gall Stones and needed my gall bladder removed.

10/06 gall bladder removed all was well for a few weeks then it all started!

After several months of having nothing but the big D after I ate , anything it didnt matter how much etc..

I was told that this was post gall bladder surgery syndrome and everyone gets it and it goes away. so for several months and after a yr i said no way this is insane.

I started to see other GI DR. I would talk to anyone and everyone that had the same issues, I have had every test. 2 or 3 x. everything seems to be negative.

So what now?

This morning I ate cheerios and activia yogurt nothing to drink, within 20 minuites the attacks started. for the next 2 hrs I was in the bathroom every 20min with D attacks. (ps I take a lactase pill just bcause)

I am now back to thinking that this is all strangely conected.

I am thinking that i have a gluten/ wheat intolerance, possible lactose sensitivity was well? causing IBS symptoms which brings me back to my back, because the pain from an attack on my back is so bad I stress over it?

OK I feel like I am just going on and on. I really do need advice and not sure where to go from here.

I am thinking of going gluten/lactose/free ...

what do you all think.

Thanks for taking the time to help me.

CC :unsure:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

debmidge Rising Star

Hi

I do not have celiac but my husband does.

I had gallbladder removed in 07 and yes, still having D issues but only in AM, not after

every meal

My SIL had gallbladder removed in 08 and she has D after each meal.

My Dr. prescribed Questran and I take Immodium about twice a week. Earlier this

year I was diagnosed with gastritis and take Nexium. The gastritis causes D as well.

I started out with gallbladder disease and IBS - so my IBS is stirred up by the bile and the

gastrtis. The Nexium helps the gastritis.

Hope you get some answers and relief.

D/

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Celiac often appears after a severe physical or emotional stress. Have they at least blood tested you for celiac? If not call your doctors office and demand the blood test. Do not go gluten free until you have had all the testing you feel is needed as that will negate the tests. False negatives also are not uncommon so if the test results are negative a dietary trial is still in order. If you don't feel the need for a doctor derived diagnosis then do give the diet a try for a couple of months. Do make sure the trial is a strict one, this is not a diet that we can 'cheat' on. There is a lot to learn when living gluten free and you are in a good place for that. Ask any questions you feel a need to ask and read as much as you can.

nu-to-no-glu Apprentice

I feel your pain! I am new to the boards, and just made my 1st post earlier today! I am not gluten free, yet, as I am on the path to self-diagnosis after dealing with many many GI drs who diagnose me with "just IBS and bile salt diarrhea" I am taking Questran for the 3rd time since having my gallbladder removed in 1997. I have suffered with increased diarrhea for 12 years after having it removed. The Questran does seem to bulk things up, but the frequency and urgency do not go away for me.

I have read that bile salt diarrhea is rare and only happens in about 5% of post-gallbladder removed patients (and diarrhea is the reason i had the darn thing removed anyway!) I have also been told that I probably didn;t need to have it removed at all as we all have some scar tissue and gallstones surrounding or in the gallbladder...those surgeons just love to cut! I hope you find answers, I'd love to hear updates on your condition as it sounds so familiar! Good Luck!

EJR Rookie
Hi, My name is CC in 2004 I was dx with herniated discs in my lower back L4 L5 S1. prior to this dx I had 2c-sections 2002 and 2004. I had basic issues around certain foods like onion etc, that i could not eat with out a D-attack for hours Then in 2006 I had undergone pre-op clearence when they discovered that I had Gall Stones and needed my gall bladder removed.

After several months of having nothing but the big D after I ate , anything it didnt matter how much etc..

I was told that this was post gall bladder surgery syndrome and everyone gets it and it goes away. so for several months and after a yr i said no way this is insane.

I started to see other GI DR. I would talk to anyone and everyone that had the same issues, I have had every test. 2 or 3 x. everything seems to be negative.

So what now?

This morning I ate cheerios and activia yogurt nothing to drink, within 20 minuites the attacks started. for the next 2 hrs I was in the bathroom every 20min with D attacks. (ps I take a lactase pill just bcause)

I am thinking that i have a gluten/ wheat intolerance, possible lactose sensitivity was well? causing IBS symptoms which brings me back to my back, because the pain from an attack on my back is so bad I stress over it?

OK I feel like I am just going on and on. I really do need advice and not sure where to go from here.

what do you all think.

Hi,

Count me in! I had very mild IBS prior to gall bladder surgery (Dec.07). For a year and a half I had constant, debilitating diarrhea and increased food intolerances/allergies and constant abdominal/rectal/back pain. I don't believe I really needed my gall bladder out either (I had polyps that had supposedly grown). It turns out they had not grown and could easily have been left but I was given the big cancer scare by the surgeon.

Prior to the surgery I already had lactose/dairy intolerance. Also eggs and a few other foods. Now I can't tolerate wheat and grains. In May or so of this year my constant diarrhea suddenly changed to constipation(go figure). I'm curious if this has happened to any others after GB surgery.

I have been following mainly a gluten free diet with some challenges. My testing has all been negative for Celiac but was done after going gluten free. I have just done the gene test with Prometheus Labs and don't yet have my results. I have lost 35 lbs. since the surgery. I cannot tolerate Questran (it makes me very stomach sick).

I think those estimates given to us by surgeons regarding how many people suffer with diarrhea after gall bladder surgery are mainly BS. It is nice to talk to others that are / have had problems following gall bladder surgery.

Joyce

EJR Rookie

So what now?

what do you all think.

Hi CC,

I forgot to mention that as far as I know I don't think that most Cheerios are gluten free.

Joyce

Archived