75 replies to this topic

#1 celiac3270

celiac3270

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 04:18 PM

Aww...Ratzinger is pope and with this election we currently have no chance of the Catholic Church accepting rice Communions......

The religion folder at Delphi is full of disappointed Catholics.....If anyone wants to read what some people there are thinking I can copy and paste...just let me know.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 04:26 PM

Sigh... as a former Catholic, I'm jaded and cynical about the "Church". (And here I mean the institution of the church, not the basic moral foundation of the philosophy of the Catholic faith.) I think conservativism is "the trend" these days in the church (apparently, the majority of younger priests these days are going back to much more conservative teachings - pre-Vatican II stuff). I don't want to offend the staunchly religious, so I'll sum it up by saying that I think the Church is letting politics and a hangup for tradition negatively affect the role of Catholicism in the world. (Even though I'm an atheist, I can accept the benefit that a religion can have on the local and global community. I don't think the Church is doing the best it can in that role.)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#3 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 04:58 PM

I'm not a catholic and my church allows me to bring my own communion but I really feel for all the catholics that are celiacs. I think it kind of turns people off with the way they are being close minded. It's not about whats in the bread or wafer or whatever...its the symbol... and something between you and God and that should not be rejected.
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#4 kvogt

kvogt

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 05:23 PM

For Catholics, Holy Communion is not merely a symbol. It is the Body and Blood of Christ Jesus. Its composition is important. It is part of our Tradition, which is important. To change Tradition without significant investigation into all the many facets of this issue is to invalidate the faith of our predecessors. The Church cannot react to this issue. It will take time to resolve. We must be patient and ask the Holy Spirit to guide our leaders to His Will and give us Understanding and Wisdom so we can appreciate why we have this disease at the same time His Tradition has made His Holy Communion out of the substance, which harms us.

Our faith is that our Church leaders are inspired and lead by the Holy Spirit. The selection of our Pope was guided by the Holy Spirit. To believe otherwise is cynical and undermines Catholic faith.

#5 ianm

ianm

Metal God

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 06:19 PM

I doesn't matter who was elected pope this time because the Church is an institution that changes very slowly. As far as gluten free host it is going to be several popes before that is allowed.
If all the world is indeed a stage and we are merely players then will someone give me the script because I have no f!@#$%^ clue as to what is going on!

What does not kill you makes you stronger.
Nobody cares about losers and quitters never win. If you fail with the cowards then what's the message you send?
Can't get it right, no matter what I do. Might as well be me and keep fu@$ing up for you. - Brian Thomas (Halloween, the greatest metal band ever!)

Ian Moore. Self diagnosed at 36 because the doctors were clueless.
Started low-carb diet early 2004, felt better but not totally gluten-free. Went 100% gluten-free early 2005 and life has never been better.

#6 Nadtorious

Nadtorious

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 07:33 PM

I don't mean to be a mudslinger, but "the blood of Christ" has been substituted by grape juice in recent years. I don't know how close to God I'd be feeling if I ate a normal communion wafer and then had to sit in a quiet church next to lots and lots of people with little to no access to a bathroom. Not only would my holy experience be disrupted, but I think the poor people sitting next to me would be too.
Just a thought.
Nadia
Eat, drink, and be merry!

#7 Guest_ajlauer_*

Guest_ajlauer_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2005 - 11:07 PM

*laugh* Nad, that was funny! Thanks for giving me something to write about in this topic. I bite my tongue (off) when it comes to religious issues. Dying to comment on the other posts in this thread, but don't want to cause a riot. So at least now, by telling you your post was funny, I can make my brain *think* that I have responded to the other posts, and therefore, continue to bite my tongue. :ph34r:

#8 debmidge

debmidge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 02:09 AM

The only imput I can say, is keep contacting the local Archbishop's office or the Vatican itself to remind them to address this issue. It reminds me of Jesus' parable Luke 18 1-8, the point of which states that persistence pays whether in prayer or otherwise.

Funny we should be on this topic again. I am reading "Russka" by Edward Rutherfurd; takes place in year 1000 or so, and in it the local noble who owns peasants visits his new land and notices that they are only growing rye and barley. He then says that they should now grow wheat too, and he says to them something like "when we grow wheat, we can have communion bread for mass." If I didn't know about the "wheat must be in host" issue, this paragraph in the book would not have meant much to me. I would have read it without giving it any thought.
Husband has Celiac Disease and
Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -
The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."
Serious Depressive state ensued
Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Developed neuropathy in 2005
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

#9 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 06:09 AM

This issue highlights why I generally stay away from religion on these boards (although this religious issue DOES pertain to celiac). Catholics believe the host absolutely must have some minimum amount of wheat or it's not the body of Christ. Baptists believe you can substitute grape juice for wine. Episcopalians and others think a wheatless host is OK. Everybody thinks the other one is wrong -- and some, not all, even believe the others are going to hell because they're wrong.

For those who are Catholic, I know some VERY sensitive people who are now using the low-gluten host and they have no reaction (0.01 percent gluten). This host been accepted by the church.

richard

#10 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 12:59 PM

With a diet that is otherwise 100% devoid of gluten, the low-gluten host is a sensible and fine alternative. The average "gluten-free diet", however, no matter how careful you are, contains a degree of gluten, though not anywhere near the amount needed to get you sick (according to Anne Lee). My view of this, though, is that the low-gluten host is fine if you're diet is 100% gluten-free, but then if you get that tiny bit of contamination added to the gluten in the host, it might push the celiac over the tolerable amount. And, even if you don't react, I would not be able to stand intentional ingestion of gluten, however safe it is. Additionally, I see little logic, or reason, with requiring that little bit of wheat in the host...it seems ridiculous and petty to require that in the host. Would Jesus care?

Even for those who take or are happy with the low-gluten host, Ratzinger isn't necessarily the person you want to be pope. He also appears to be quite mysoginistic: he doesn't want women to have the right to be lectors at mass and even doesn't want them to wash out the vessels after mass--as if women carry some sort of plague. I'll cease ranting because it's done and they can't change who's pope, but I just wanted to share my 2 cents.

#11 lotusgem

lotusgem

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 01:30 PM

Hey, look at the bright side...he's 78.
Paula, a lowly female and former Catholic

#12 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 02:05 PM

If women are so bad, why would God, in his infinite wisdom entrust the Saviour to mankind to the care of a woman?

Laura
Michigan

#13 mytummyhurts

mytummyhurts

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 02:42 PM

Doesn't God know what is in your heart and not care if you take communion or not if your heart is in the right place and you are only not taking it because of Celiac disease? I don't think he would care. He knows you have celiac right? He loves you and doesn't want you to get sick because of a wheat filled cracker right?

#14 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 03:14 PM

I agree, Abby.

The God I believe in and the God I thank every day for my blessings would not want me to intentionally poison myself. He would rather I do everything in my power to care for myself so I will be around to guide, raise and nurture the children he chose to bless me with. After all, all my children are gifts from Him.

Karen
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#15 lotusgem

lotusgem

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 05:55 PM

One more thought on the subject: Luke 7:38
Jesus let a woman wash his feet.
Ratzinger doesn't want women to wash the vessels.
What's wrong with this picture?

Paula

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: