Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ratzinger--not Good For Celiacs

76 posts in this topic

I wrote my e-mail to the Vatican.....just don't want to share it because I was.... rather scathing at times and I don't want to offend anyone.

Kathy, I accept that it's probably okay, but it irks me that even a little bit of gluten is necessary for the communion to be valid. It doesn't seem practical.

Ads by Google:

Lol... I think we could go on for a very long time about the second-class role of females in many religions, but it wouldn't be a particularly religious discussion... :-) (The history of this stuff is just so darn fascinating. I'm so curious how much different the world would be if women produced more testosterone than they do... :-) )

Oh well, look on the bright side....... B)

They could have the same rules and laws as the Taliban............ :o:o:o

Karen

on a bad-hair day I wouldn't mind wearing a burka to work.

As one who was raised in the Catholic Church, I have a great understanding of its theology. It's not really fair to criticize our new Pope for Keeping-It-Real-Catholic ... that's his job! What has been said about his views on women, other religions, etc., is what the Catholic religion truly teaches. Catholicism is an Old World Religion, where change takes place so slowly, that it doesn't even seem like any change is happening at all! I am no longer a practicing Catholic, because I have not been able to live up to its standards, or agree with all of its teachings. Yet, I respect the institution, from a historical and cultural perspective. I learned all about Jesus, through my Catholic upbringing, for which I am most grateful.

Blessings,

O.K.,

Just one MORE thought as regards a gluten free host as well as the role of women and other important issues pertaining to the Catholic Church.

Dictionary fun!

I have included excerpts from the definitions of the words below...

catholic-

universal, all inclusive, having broad sympathies or understanding- liberal

liberal-

favoring reform or progress, as in religion

Perhaps we would have nothing to complain about if the church were more aptly named!

Paula

:lol: lol Paula.. You've maybe hit on the solution. Just send the dictionary definitions to all the churches and ask them to live up to their name and embrace the Celiac Catholics, and Catholic women.

Debmidge,

That was a good one! Thanks for making me laugh!!! :lol::lol:

Karen

Oooooooh, don't mention "liberal" to anyone who is Canadian right now...... not a good idea....... ;)

If anyone is following any Canadian politics lately, the Liberals (our government) is in DEEP DOO DOO, knee deep in scandal. It seems that everyone and their neighbour and brother who was Liberal has lined their bank accounts at our expense - basically, millions upon millions of dollars were literally stolen from the taxpayers. :angry:

Yep, Liberal is definitely not a popular word in Canada right now!!!! <_<:angry:

Karen

I live in in Michigan close enough to the Canadian border to watch CBC news frequently. It is good to know that politicians in The Great White North are just as sleazy as the ones in America. :lol:

I think our government has taken politics to a whole new low......

The paper trail is being unfolded day by day - it seems that it was a free-for-all for anyone who wanted it - money was handed out to them like candy...... Example: invoices submitted for work done on Olympic stadiums that don't even exist!!! Duh! <_< And it is promising to get better as it goes along....... <_<

Election ballots, here we come....... :angry:

Karen

:rolleyes: Ahhh, but Karen, we westeners tried to get the Liberals out last time around :ph34r: Although I will admit we had no idea what they were doing at the time :unsure:

Yikes! This thread is getting too hot to handle! Religion AND politics! Now, Karen, lighten up...you KNOW that, with the exception of Ianm, we in America simply don't keep tabs on anyone else's news! Just our own. :D And besides, I was using an American English dictionary. The definition of liberal must be different for those of you in Canada. Well, I must say that you've popped my bubble. I regarded Canada as the last bastion of liberal sentiment in the hemisphere. Does this mean that I should drop my French lessons?

Paula

Maybe Ontario is finally going to wake up!!!! ;)

One can hope, eh?

When I think of the fact that my 93 yr old grandmother, whose husband went overseas to fight in World War II for us to enjoy the freedom we now have, worked her whole life paying taxes, and is currently living on a meager pension which ALL goes towards paying her monthly bill for the Long Term Care facility that she is in - HAS TO PAY INTO THE GOVERNMENT INCOME TAX!!!!! All the while, some rich cronies are making themselves richer from her money, it:

MAKES MY BLOOD BOIL!!!!!!

:angry:

Karen

Heavens no Paula, don't drop your French lessons ... I just heard on the news that bi-lingual people have much less dementia because their minds are kept busier. :lol:

From the Canadian Junior Dictionary:

lib-er-al:

1. generous: a liberal giver (Yep, got that one right!!!!)

2. plentiful; abundant; a liberal supply(Yeah, of our money!)

3. broadminded; not narrow in one's ideas: a liberal thinker

4. not limited; broad

5. a person favourable to progress and reforms

:lol:

Karen

Okay, Scott, we promise to keep it light so this thread won't go *POOF* ! ;)

Karen

I've been away on vacation for a week... (and got totally glutened.... but thats another story) and I wanted to say how impressed I am with everyone here voicing various opinions and no real fight has broken out. Thats the only way we can understand others views and the best way for change to happen. I always hate when the "discussion" gets personal and name calling starts because that effectively ends the discussion and I don't get the benefit of the views of others.

I'm a lapsed Catholic, but my mother is a very good catholic. Someone said it wasn't fair to call the new pope on his desire to keep the church the way it is. I disagree with that, this isn't about "fair" its just a discussion and even if my opinions are different I have a right to have them be heard. To disagree with someone, in my opinion, is fine, its how we learn, as long as its not done in a vicious manner.

I honestly believe that if you have accepted god into your heart and live your life (as best we can) with those teachings in mind, that wheat or not in the host is not an issue. So I agree with the person that said oreo's would be fine, I think so too.

Someone else asked why the Church has such an unfriendly stance towards women... thats easy... its because its run by men. I think in almost any organization that is run by only one group... you tend to eventually make rules, laws (whatever) that mostly benefit that group.

The catholic church has evolved over time and I think it will continue to, I honstly believe that it will have to change its stance toward woman and become a bit more open and welcoming to survive. However, I certainly agree that this will take a long time in the Catholic church, a really long time.

Susan

Hey, I just noticed this thread is under coping with......should I move it to Gab?

I can understand being in disagreement over low gluten vs. gluten-free hosts and it's a man-made rule that there must be wheat in host.

But I have to say that I think the Catholic Church, as well as many other Christian denominations go to 1 Corinthians 14:33-36 wherein St. Paul takes on the issue of women in control at church. also note 1Timothy 2:11. Many churches interpret these passages as women have no authority to be leaders in the church. There's really nothing to "interpret" in 1 Timothy as it is cut and dry about it.

However, in 1 Corinthians, it's not certain if Paul is just annoyed that the women talk and interrupt the church service.

My experience is, in the main-line Protestant church I was a member of, the Deacons ( only men) were advisors to the minister and their purpose was to be the spiritual advisors for the flock in addition to the minister - they would hire and fire the minster, decide the Sunday school cirriculum, appoint Sunday school teachers, etc. The Deaconnesses were comprised of women only and they would visit the sick, elderly, new moms, organize the "circles" that helped the missionaries, organize the "food" based church activities like suppers, organize the communion (pour the grape juice and cut the bread needed for the monthly communion and then clean up); basically they did all womenly stuff. They weren't trusted with the man-stuff. Just like in the Catholic church. I always refused to become a Deaconess as I alread had a "womanly" job and didn't want another. Besides, it was very clicky, competitive and I didn't want any part of that anyway.

Something man-made, and not biblical in print, is subject to change. I was just thinking, book of Exodus 16:31 - God rained Manna down from heaven to the Israelities. No ingredient list except the bible says:" White like coriander seed and tasted like wafers made with honey." I doubt it had wheat in it. And if it was good enough for God to give to His Chosen People, it's good enough for the Catholic Church.

Well, it started out as having to do with celiacs, but it has kinda evolved, eh? I think it should be okay where it is....... :D

Karen

Well, it started out as having to do with celiacs, but it has kinda evolved, eh? I think it should be okay where it is....... :D

Karen

Yea...okay, I'll leave it, cause the 1st half of it is about celiac disease :D;)

You make some interesting points, Debmidge.

I know that this is yet another diversion, but still it is connected to some of what you were talking about. You spoke of the man-made being subject to change, and Paul's sentiments about women speaking in church. Obviously, this is part of the bible, although the origins are from a member of the human race. Still some have interpreted his words as a prohibition against women having high level participation in the church body.

It reminds me of the prohibition against alcohol consumption in the Islamic tradition. This was not a commandment from God, but something that the prophet Mohammed decreed because one day a drunken man showed up for prayers and was quite disruptive. So no more liquor.

Also, the distaste for dogs by Muslims goes back to Mohammed, not the Koran. When Mohammed was in hiding during a tribal dispute, a barking dog outside the cave in which he was taking cover gave him away. So from then on, dogs were viewed as the lowest of creatures.

Just a bit of trivia, some thoughts on how the man-made can seep into what faithful believers accept as being God-revealed.

Wow, this thread has a life of its own! Pretty soon we'll be discussing whether there should be a speed limit on the autobahn! Gott im Himmel!

Paula