- - - - -

Ratzinger--not Good For Celiacs

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#16 Guest_ajlauer_*

Guest_ajlauer_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2005 - 09:03 PM

Hey, finally something I like about the catholic religion - men do the chores!!! Right on! B)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 JUDI42MIL

JUDI42MIL

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 03:03 AM

Funny how you read from many, Im a former catholic, I am also.This to me is just wacky. Yeah I know they believe the host has to have some wheat in it. But celiac is a disease.I mean they changed and have mass on saturday nights in a lot of catholic churches, out of convience, but wont allow celiac a no wheat host.I would be one ticked off person if I still was catholic.

#18 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 08:09 AM

I think the biggest discrepancy is that the church changed a very long-standing, time-honored tradition of having mass - particularly high masses - in latin only a few decades ago (three? it was "before my time" but not by generations or anything). They will change from their traditions (which is a good thing, I think; after all, the world changes over the course of 1500 years!) but we've had some pretty VAST changes in a lot of the Church's administration's lifetime. I doubt there will be another round of them any time soon.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#19 judy05

judy05

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 11:03 AM

My hubby is Catholic. He is still upset about taking Latin out of the Mass. He said he could go to any part of the world and understand the Mass. He is gradually going back to the Church but is not happy.

celiac3270, I am impressed. Mysoginistic, that's a fifty-cent word, ;) I agree, I am a Lutheran married to a Catholic. I have a lot of respect for the Catholic church, but can't accept their treatment of women.

The one resolution, which was in my mind long before it took the form of a resolution, is the key-note of my life. It is this,always to regard as mere impertinences of fate the handicaps which were placed on my life almost at the beginning. I resolved that they should not crush or dwarf my soul, but rather be made to blossom, like Aaron's rod, with flowers-Helen Keller

Judy- Gluten Intolerant

#20 angel_jd1

angel_jd1

Gluten Free Goddess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 12:26 PM

Looks like the new Pope has an email address, I found that interesting. Possibly people could email him and voice their feelings about not allowing gluten-free hosts (just a thought) . -Jessica :rolleyes:

Oh here is his address and the link to the article where I found it.

benedictxvi@vatican.va.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7587388/
Jessica
Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!
Kansas

#21 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 01:41 PM

----

#22 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 01:55 PM

I have a lot of respect for the Catholic church, but can't accept their treatment of women.

I agree with that...I do have alot of respect for them.
Maybe they treat women like that because priests are not married and I guess don't know how women are supposed to be treated.
I don't like the way women are treated either.
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#23 KAthyB

KAthyB

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 03:52 PM

My daughter receives the low gluten host once a week and has been for one year. Her blood work is done every 3 months and since she went gluten-free her anti-bodies are in the normal range. The low gluten host is the only exception she makes and it is either truly a harmless trace of gluten or God is watching over her. This is a personal decision and it is important to her to receive communion. Healing is both physical and spiritual. God bless.
KathyB

#24 debmidge

debmidge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 02:27 AM

I am glad this is a non issue for my husband as he is not Catholic, but he cannot tolerate the smallest amount of gluten.
Catholics who can tolerate it should be more thoughtful of your "sicker" celiac brethern.
Those being hurt are celiac Catholics who know that they must take communion as it's a command of the church and have to decline due to gluten. This "host must have wheat" and "low gluten hosts are OK" are keeping faithful Catholics from fulfiling their obligations to Christ. It is causing them to sin.
In essence, this is causing someone else to "sin." I believe St. Paul addressed this issue in the Epistles (about causing someone else to sin). If anywhere, I'd think that this forum would have the most understanding and thoughtful people on this topic.

So I'd encourage all those who are affected to contact the new Pope (I would imagine that he isn't really reading all the messages and his staff is) but enough Catholics with the same message will mean something.
Husband has Celiac Disease and
Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -
The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."
Serious Depressive state ensued
Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Developed neuropathy in 2005
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

#25 westiepaws

westiepaws

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 01:05 PM

Given that Jesus is omnipotent, I personally believe he is bigger than just one grain. He didn't limit his love, He doesn't limit his presence in our lives -- so why would He limit himself to one little grain? Probably He doesn't mind if we even have Oreos for communion (boy, I miss Oreos), as long as we "commune" with him in our hearts.

Also, I do wonder why sometimes religions treat women as second-class citizens. Everything God created got better and better and more complex and amazing, as he went along, right? Well, women were the last thing God created -- so really, we must be God's finest work! :D

(I've tried Baptist, Methodist, Catholic, Lutheran, Presbyterian, and finally settled on Episcopalian :) .)

#26 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 01:40 PM

I wrote my e-mail to the Vatican.....just don't want to share it because I was.... rather scathing at times and I don't want to offend anyone.

Kathy, I accept that it's probably okay, but it irks me that even a little bit of gluten is necessary for the communion to be valid. It doesn't seem practical.

#27 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 01:46 PM

Lol... I think we could go on for a very long time about the second-class role of females in many religions, but it wouldn't be a particularly religious discussion... :-) (The history of this stuff is just so darn fascinating. I'm so curious how much different the world would be if women produced more testosterone than they do... :-) )
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#28 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 02:48 PM

Oh well, look on the bright side....... B)

They could have the same rules and laws as the Taliban............ :o :o :o

Karen
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#29 debmidge

debmidge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 02:52 AM

on a bad-hair day I wouldn't mind wearing a burka to work.
Husband has Celiac Disease and
Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -
The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."
Serious Depressive state ensued
Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Developed neuropathy in 2005
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

#30 Ruby Rose

Ruby Rose

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 07:02 AM

As one who was raised in the Catholic Church, I have a great understanding of its theology. It's not really fair to criticize our new Pope for Keeping-It-Real-Catholic ... that's his job! What has been said about his views on women, other religions, etc., is what the Catholic religion truly teaches. Catholicism is an Old World Religion, where change takes place so slowly, that it doesn't even seem like any change is happening at all! I am no longer a practicing Catholic, because I have not been able to live up to its standards, or agree with all of its teachings. Yet, I respect the institution, from a historical and cultural perspective. I learned all about Jesus, through my Catholic upbringing, for which I am most grateful.

Blessings,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: