#31 lotusgem

lotusgem

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 12:59 PM

O.K.,
Just one MORE thought as regards a gluten free host as well as the role of women and other important issues pertaining to the Catholic Church.

Dictionary fun!
I have included excerpts from the definitions of the words below...

catholic-
universal, all inclusive, having broad sympathies or understanding- liberal

liberal-
favoring reform or progress, as in religion

Perhaps we would have nothing to complain about if the church were more aptly named!

Paula

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 Guest_Viola_*

Guest_Viola_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2005 - 02:51 PM

:lol: lol Paula.. You've maybe hit on the solution. Just send the dictionary definitions to all the churches and ask them to live up to their name and embrace the Celiac Catholics, and Catholic women.

#33 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 05:08 PM

Debmidge,

That was a good one! Thanks for making me laugh!!! :lol: :lol:

Karen
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#34 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 05:17 PM

-----

#35 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 05:24 PM

Oooooooh, don't mention "liberal" to anyone who is Canadian right now...... not a good idea....... ;)

If anyone is following any Canadian politics lately, the Liberals (our government) is in DEEP DOO DOO, knee deep in scandal. It seems that everyone and their neighbour and brother who was Liberal has lined their bank accounts at our expense - basically, millions upon millions of dollars were literally stolen from the taxpayers. :angry:

Yep, Liberal is definitely not a popular word in Canada right now!!!! <_< :angry:

Karen
Karen

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

-- Victor Borge

Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#36 ianm

ianm

Metal God

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 05:27 PM

I live in in Michigan close enough to the Canadian border to watch CBC news frequently. It is good to know that politicians in The Great White North are just as sleazy as the ones in America. :lol:
If all the world is indeed a stage and we are merely players then will someone give me the script because I have no f!@#$%^ clue as to what is going on!

What does not kill you makes you stronger.
Nobody cares about losers and quitters never win. If you fail with the cowards then what's the message you send?
Can't get it right, no matter what I do. Might as well be me and keep fu@$ing up for you. - Brian Thomas (Halloween, the greatest metal band ever!)

Ian Moore. Self diagnosed at 36 because the doctors were clueless.
Started low-carb diet early 2004, felt better but not totally gluten-free. Went 100% gluten-free early 2005 and life has never been better.

#37 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 05:48 PM

I think our government has taken politics to a whole new low......

The paper trail is being unfolded day by day - it seems that it was a free-for-all for anyone who wanted it - money was handed out to them like candy...... Example: invoices submitted for work done on Olympic stadiums that don't even exist!!! Duh! <_< And it is promising to get better as it goes along....... <_<

Election ballots, here we come....... :angry:

Karen
Karen

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs

Orison Swett Marden

-- Victor Borge

Tom Nansbury

Unknown

#38 Guest_Viola_*

Guest_Viola_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2005 - 05:50 PM

:rolleyes: Ahhh, but Karen, we westeners tried to get the Liberals out last time around :ph34r: Although I will admit we had no idea what they were doing at the time :unsure:

#39 lotusgem

lotusgem

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 05:59 PM

Yikes! This thread is getting too hot to handle! Religion AND politics! Now, Karen, lighten up...you KNOW that, with the exception of Ianm, we in America simply don't keep tabs on anyone else's news! Just our own. :D And besides, I was using an American English dictionary. The definition of liberal must be different for those of you in Canada. Well, I must say that you've popped my bubble. I regarded Canada as the last bastion of liberal sentiment in the hemisphere. Does this mean that I should drop my French lessons?
Paula

#40 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 06:03 PM

Maybe Ontario is finally going to wake up!!!! ;)

One can hope, eh?

When I think of the fact that my 93 yr old grandmother, whose husband went overseas to fight in World War II for us to enjoy the freedom we now have, worked her whole life paying taxes, and is currently living on a meager pension which ALL goes towards paying her monthly bill for the Long Term Care facility that she is in - HAS TO PAY INTO THE GOVERNMENT INCOME TAX!!!!! All the while, some rich cronies are making themselves richer from her money, it:

MAKES MY BLOOD BOIL!!!!!!

:angry:

Karen
Karen

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs

Orison Swett Marden

-- Victor Borge

Tom Nansbury

Unknown

#41 Guest_Viola_*

Guest_Viola_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2005 - 06:11 PM

Heavens no Paula, don't drop your French lessons ... I just heard on the news that bi-lingual people have much less dementia because their minds are kept busier. :lol:

#42 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 06:16 PM

-----

#43 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 06:17 PM

From the Canadian Junior Dictionary:

lib-er-al:

1. generous: a liberal giver (Yep, got that one right!!!!)
2. plentiful; abundant; a liberal supply(Yeah, of our money!)
3. broadminded; not narrow in one's ideas: a liberal thinker
4. not limited; broad
5. a person favourable to progress and reforms

:lol:
Karen
Karen

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs

Orison Swett Marden

-- Victor Borge

Tom Nansbury

Unknown

#44 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 06:22 PM

Okay, Scott, we promise to keep it light so this thread won't go *POOF* ! ;)

Karen
Karen

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs

Orison Swett Marden

-- Victor Borge

Tom Nansbury

Unknown

#45 pixiegirl

pixiegirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 03:27 AM

I've been away on vacation for a week... (and got totally glutened.... but thats another story) and I wanted to say how impressed I am with everyone here voicing various opinions and no real fight has broken out. Thats the only way we can understand others views and the best way for change to happen. I always hate when the "discussion" gets personal and name calling starts because that effectively ends the discussion and I don't get the benefit of the views of others.

I'm a lapsed Catholic, but my mother is a very good catholic. Someone said it wasn't fair to call the new pope on his desire to keep the church the way it is. I disagree with that, this isn't about "fair" its just a discussion and even if my opinions are different I have a right to have them be heard. To disagree with someone, in my opinion, is fine, its how we learn, as long as its not done in a vicious manner.

I honestly believe that if you have accepted god into your heart and live your life (as best we can) with those teachings in mind, that wheat or not in the host is not an issue. So I agree with the person that said oreo's would be fine, I think so too.

Someone else asked why the Church has such an unfriendly stance towards women... thats easy... its because its run by men. I think in almost any organization that is run by only one group... you tend to eventually make rules, laws (whatever) that mostly benefit that group.

The catholic church has evolved over time and I think it will continue to, I honstly believe that it will have to change its stance toward woman and become a bit more open and welcoming to survive. However, I certainly agree that this will take a long time in the Catholic church, a really long time.

Susan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: