This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

So Frustrated With Getting Glutened.

arkoflove

arkoflove Apprentice

Well, I've posted about chocolate chips on here and about Mexican food. =) Here I am with yet another question...

I got glutened (I'm assuming, unless I have another food intolerance to ferret out, working on that too...) with Mexican food about a week and a half after going off gluten. I recovered in about 2.5-3 days. This weekend I was either glutened with cc or suffering from another food intolerance. I ate (over a period of 3 days) gluten-free oatmeal cookies, gluten-free Bobs Red Mill Cornbread, and gluten-free Bobs Red Mill Chocolate brownies. (I was so happy to have gluten-free baked goods again, lol. Next time I approch things one item at a time.)

I ended up with C, bloated prego belly (really bad), and I think some fatigue. I am still 'coming down' off my reaction to whatever it was. I am still waking up with a bloated belly, and having bathroom c issues. When glutened I immediately go up in weight, and this time in 3 days I was 10lbs heavier. I've lost 5 of the 'glutened' lbs, and have 5 to go. I know that it's not fat, but must be water retention and c...It's all in my belly. I'm so frustrated with this situation!

I wash my hands before touching my food or putting anything in my mouth or doing any gluten-free baking. My pans and dishes that I used were all glass and had been washed. My counters were clean when I baked.

Respones here (on my other questions) have led me to believe that Bobs Red Mill can be cc'd often? Is this generally ture?

Also, is it worse every time you are glutened?? And does it take longer to clear up each time? I know that you all have said you react to smaller and smaller amounts of gluten.

I feel nervous now to try to eat anything new. I am back on my diet of very basic foods. I handle canned beans, protein shakes, meat, veggies, almond butter coffee, and tea well. Also have milk in my tea and coffee. And have eaten small amounts of fruit. I admit to throwing in Diet Coke with Splenda, cause sometimes you can only take so much! A common ingredient in my gluten-free mixes I ate each of my 'reaction' days was cornmeal in the bobs mixes. Also chocolate chips, but nowhere on the bag does it say there are any wheat ingredients. So now I am waiting to completely clear up my last glutnening (which is taking a week at least- way longer than the other times) and going to have to try some corn.

If it IS cc from Bobs Red Mill, where do I get flour from and how do I find trustworthy sources? I'm going to just try almond flour for baking after finding the Gluten Free Almond Flour cookbook. Seems easier, and I am facing a blood sugar issue.

All advice and thoughts are appreciated! Thank you for all your responses on my other topics. I know I am echoing some of the same in this post, and appreciate your patience.

-Megan

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

wschmucks Contributor

Hi Megan,

So frustrating I know. I have heard that Bobs RedMill DOES have alot of CC issues. To be honest the only releif I got was by going on the SCDiet. I know its super restrictive and hard so maybe not everyone can do it. I had to go back to basics for A LONG TIME before I found a steady baseline. My symptoms were exactly like yours Id gain like 10 pounds over night and get serious constipation (im glad im not alone...thought I was). The biggest things for me have been: no resturant eating (EVER), no grains, no sugar, no soy. If you dont want to go on the SCD I would at least make the switch to almond flour and not use the rice, potato flour-- it would also help with the blood sugar and I didnt put on any weight from the added nut caloriess (actually the opposite, Ive lost 5). Take care of yourself an be patient.

tarnalberry Community Regular

you may be one of the 10% of celiacs who reacts to oats? (assuming you used certified gluten free oats in the cookies, not something like quaker, in which case, I'd bet money on contaminated oats)

arkoflove Apprentice
Hi Megan,

So frustrating I know. I have heard that Bobs RedMill DOES have alot of CC issues. To be honest the only releif I got was by going on the SCDiet. I know its super restrictive and hard so maybe not everyone can do it. I had to go back to basics for A LONG TIME before I found a steady baseline. My symptoms were exactly like yours Id gain like 10 pounds over night and get serious constipation (im glad im not alone...thought I was). The biggest things for me have been: no resturant eating (EVER), no grains, no sugar, no soy. If you dont want to go on the SCD I would at least make the switch to almond flour and not use the rice, potato flour-- it would also help with the blood sugar and I didnt put on any weight from the added nut caloriess (actually the opposite, Ive lost 5). Take care of yourself an be patient.

Wow, thanks for your reply! I tried to message you but it wouldn't work. How long did it take you to come down from your symptoms? Any advice for what to use to relieve constipation? It is so frustrating to gain weight overnight like that...

arkoflove Apprentice
you may be one of the 10% of celiacs who reacts to oats? (assuming you used certified gluten free oats in the cookies, not something like quaker, in which case, I'd bet money on contaminated oats)

They were certified, but Bobs red mill. I'm wondering if its oats and corn? Does diet soda have corn by products in it?

Roda Rising Star
They were certified, but Bobs red mill. I'm wondering if its oats and corn? Does diet soda have corn by products in it?

I reacted badly to Bobs Red Mill gluten free oats after not having any oats for 7 months. I have eaten other Bobs prodcucts without any problem. Within 30 minutes the stomach bloating with sour burps started. Abdomen distended and remained that way for several days and constipation set in. Had horrible gas pains that I laid in a fetal position to help relieve the discomfort. About a week later I developed a bad painful red rash on my back side. So for me even gluten free oats are a no no. Soda bothers me it causes my stomach to bloat. Also alot of diet soda has artificial sweetners in it that can be problematic for alot of people. On the occasion I have a soda I don't do diet.

Aroostook Newbie

I've been eating Bob's Red Mill products for some time now and have never had a problem. I would venture a guess you have an issue with oats. Try a bowl of oatmeal, you'll get your answer. Personally I love Bob's Red Mill All-purpose gluten-free Baking Flour. I use it for everything I bake and have had fantastic results. Add my xanthum gum (1 tsp per C flour in regular baked goods, 2 tsp per C flour and 1 Tbs potato flour in my bread). Good luck! :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I am going to through in one more possibility here. I have reacted very badly to BRM's cornbread mix and also to Enjoy life cookies (those are made in a dedicated plant so little risk of CC with them). For me the issue may not have been a CC reaction but a reaction to sorgum (sp?) flour. In my case this was borne out by bad effects from other products with that flour in it. It may not be the cause for you but you might want to also check the brownies and see if that flour was in those also. It is not uncommon for us to have reactions to flours that we have not eaten before.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

Some celiacs react to things that other celiacs tolerate well. It might be best to go on a totally safe diet of fruits, vegetables and meats and then add those gluten free things in one at a time to see what you react to.

lovegrov Collaborator

BRM products that are marked as gluten-free are made in a dedicated facility and are made with ingredients that supposed to be gluten-free. Thats essentially what BRM is guaranteeing. However, unless you control the growing and manufacturing of every single ingredient, NO manufacturer can 100 percent guarantee gluten-free.

richard

ranger Enthusiast

I'm pretty sensitive but use BRM with no problem. My money is on oatmeal as your problem - my reation to one of my all-time faves, oatmeal cookies, was as bad as gluten before. I went gluten free. I've been gluten free for 8 months and still have not tried oat. About eating out. I have a couple of restaurants that I trust but I wouldn't step foot in a mexican restaurant. Too much cc. I don't even eat gluten free food that my family makes- get cc'd everytime, now I bring everything I eat. Thier kitchens are just to full of gluten. People without celiac have no idea what lengths we have to go through to keep our food safe.

Gemini Experienced

Are you used to getting much fiber in your diet? Sometimes people just have a reaction because they are not used to fiber and oats are a powerhouse of fiber.

That alone could cause your symptoms. Also, going heavy on all those baked goods might cause what you described. Not because of CC but gluten-free baked goods are high calorie, high fat and all that fat content might not be good if you are just starting the diet and need to heal. To this day, I still cannot eat really fatty foods because I cannot digest all that fat. I have to eat those foods sparingly.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
BRM products that are marked as gluten-free are made in a dedicated facility and are made with ingredients that supposed to be gluten-free. Thats essentially what BRM is guaranteeing. However, unless you control the growing and manufacturing of every single ingredient, NO manufacturer can 100 percent guarantee gluten-free.

richard

Thank you for pointing out that they use a dedicated facilty. That can be a very helpful bit of information when trying to figure out whether we were glutened or whether we may be intolerant to a seperate ingredient in the product.

Archived