23 replies to this topic

#1 gabrielle

gabrielle

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 07:18 AM

Since going on a gluten-free diet, I wasn't sure at first if I could have Monosodium glutamate- but I read somewhere that it wasn't derived from wheat so it was okay. BUT-I've eaten things that seem to be gluten-free but have Monosodium glutamate in them and I get sick. I had a few potato chips with this ingredient and I was hunched over grabbing my stomach. I am guessing there is a connection- I just was wondering if anyone else gets sick :( off of this as well.
Gabrielle
Lancaster, Pennsylvania

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 07:36 AM

30% of people in general have a reaction to MSG. MSG is very bad for you..it is not a gluten reaction. MSG is ok from a celiac standpoint. Alot of people do have problems with MSG though.
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#3 gabrielle

gabrielle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 12:36 PM

I knew it wasn't the absolute best for you, but i guess i dont really remember a reaction to it before :huh: . Hmm. :) thank you for responding!
Gabrielle
Lancaster, Pennsylvania

#4 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 12:47 PM

O yes it is horrible for you...it can cause many symptoms. They also tell people that are pregnant to avoid MSG....

read this article:

why msg is harmful?
Monosodium glutamate is a drug and a neurotransmitter. Glutamate is a highly regulated chemical of the nervous system, and a proper balance is necessary for healthy brain and organ function.

In fact, every major human organ is now known to contain glutamate receptors. Overstimulation of these receptors—in the brain or elsewhere—can lead to numerous health problems, many of which may mimic other disorders (such as fibromyalgia or heart arrhythmia), but can go undiagnosed for decades, all the while creating a life of misery and disability for the unfortunate sufferer.

Its ever-expanding use by the food industry causes great concern in the medical profession because MSG overstimulates brain cell activity. It is neither a necessary additive, nor a harmless flavor enhancer like common table salt. MSG actually tricks your brain into thinking the food you are eating tastes good. Manufacturers can therefore use inferior ingredients to make a mediocre product seem tastier. Higher profits and low-quality products of little nutritional value prevail at the expense of consumer health.

MSG intolerance is not an allergic reaction, but a powerful drug reaction. Even in those people who do not suffer acute, immediate reactions to the substance, prolonged or acute exposure will destroy brain cells in anyone.

Many foods, such as soybeans and tomatoes, contain naturally high levels of free glutamate, which may cause MSG reactions in particularly sensitive individuals. The processed form—monosodium glutamate—is the sodium salt of glutamic acid, and it is the highly refined substance (which actually looks a lot like table salt) that is added in huge quantities to most processed foods at manufacturing facilities. Restaurants also frequently add MSG to their menu items. Many that advertise “No MSG added” may not add MSG to the food once it is prepared, but MSG may actually be present in the individual ingredients used to prepare their food.

Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

#5 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 12:50 PM

Here are some common reactions in an article I found:

common reactions
People's reactions to MSG will vary depending on their sensitivity to the substance. At low doses, some people will experience no obvious physical symptoms, despite the acute neurochemical activity that occurs whenever anyone ingests the substance.

Following is a list of well-documented reactions to monosodium glutamate. Individuals with extreme sensitivities may experience seemingly incurable fibromyalgia-type pain, while others may have immediate, acute reactions, including heart attack.

Remember: a high enough dose is toxic to anyone—which is far more likely as more and more foods contain higher percentages of MSG (mostly in disguised forms: click here for a list of common aliases found on food labels).

headaches
migraines
stomach upset
nausea and vomiting
diarrhea
irritable bowel syndrome
asthma attacks
shortness of breath
anxiety or panic attacks
heart palpitations
partial paralysis
heart attack-like symptoms
balance difficulties
mental confusion
mood swings
neurological disorders (Parkinson's, MS, ALS, Alzheimer's)
behavioral disorders (especially in children and teens)
allergy-type symptoms
skin rashes
runny nose
bags under the eyes
flushing
mouth lesions
depression
and more

Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Arkansas

"One Nation, Under God"

#6 gabrielle

gabrielle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 06:41 PM

:o OH MY!!!!!!! How is this ingredient at all passed by the FDA???????|
That is awful, thank you so much for sharing this information.
Gabrielle
Lancaster, Pennsylvania

#7 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 06:45 PM

I know! :o I could not believe all the problems associated with that. I try to stay as far away from it as possible. I occasionally have foods with it in it but I try to keep my intake of it very low...if pregnant women shouldn't have it then why should we?
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Arkansas

"One Nation, Under God"

#8 ianm

ianm

Metal God

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 06:47 PM

Just one more reason to not eat processed foods. :wacko:
If all the world is indeed a stage and we are merely players then will someone give me the script because I have no f!@#$%^ clue as to what is going on!

What does not kill you makes you stronger.
Nobody cares about losers and quitters never win. If you fail with the cowards then what's the message you send?
Can't get it right, no matter what I do. Might as well be me and keep fu@$ing up for you. - Brian Thomas (Halloween, the greatest metal band ever!)

Ian Moore. Self diagnosed at 36 because the doctors were clueless.
Started low-carb diet early 2004, felt better but not totally gluten-free. Went 100% gluten-free early 2005 and life has never been better.

#9 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 05:04 AM

Kaiti,

Please give us the source for this information on MSG. MSG is one of those things theres a lot of hysteria and misinformation about and having a source can help people judge the veracity of the information.

richard

#10 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 05:08 AM

Many sites had the same info but I got these particular articles from:

http://www.nomsg.com/harmful.html

Even though from a celiac standpoint MSG is ok it is bad for you and thats a known fact.
Health food stores up here will not sell anything with MSG in them.
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Arkansas

"One Nation, Under God"

#11 rmmadden

rmmadden

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 05:34 AM

I found out after going gluten-free that I am MSG sensitive. I get the shakes and a general off-feeling that takes about 1-hour to pass. I avoid MSG as best I can.

Cleveland Bob B)
"Dreams Are What The Future Is Made Of"

Endoscopy & Blood Work Positive.....
gluten-free Since December 2004.....
Soy Intolerant August 2007......

#12 Jklinge

Jklinge

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 04:09 PM

Since going on a gluten-free diet, I wasn't sure at first if I could have Monosodium glutamate- but I read somewhere that it wasn't derived from wheat so it was okay. BUT-I've eaten things that seem to be gluten-free but have Monosodium glutamate in them and I get sick. I had a few potato chips with this ingredient and I was hunched over grabbing my stomach. I am guessing there is a connection- I just was wondering if anyone else gets sick :( off of this as well.

I use to get sick off msg like you did so I called my doc and he told me that msg is a FORM OF GLUTEN

#13 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 04:20 PM

I use to get sick off msg like you did so I called my doc and he told me that msg is a FORM OF GLUTEN

Not true. But some people do not tolerate MSG but it's not because it is a form of gluten. http://www.celiac.co...ents/Page1.html

You might also want to check out this link: http://www.livestron...uten-free-diet/
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#14 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,070 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 05:21 PM

This brought-back-from-the-dead topic is six years old.

MSG is the sodium salt of glutamic acid. Glutamic acid is a non-essential amino acid found in the molecular structure of most proteins. The often asserted claim that MSG contains gluten is just wrong. However, gluten (a protein) when broken down into its constituent parts will yield some glutamic acid. When sodium is present, glutamic acid will form monosodium glutamate by binding with a single sodium atom.

Refined MSG causes a reaction in some people, including some people with celiac disease. There is no special concern about MSG for those of us with celiac disease.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#15 etta694

etta694

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 06:50 AM

30% of people in general have a reaction to MSG.

If we could hear everything our bodies are saying to us... we would eat very differently.
Anemia and IBS through my life
2005 Joint pain, exhaustion, general feeling of not being well 2006 Beginning of testing for everything but Celiac 2008 Bloating, more muscle stiffness, feeling sicker, more exhausted-testing 'normal' 2010 March insides begin to shut down, cough that won't go away 2010 June Colonoscopy, Endoscopy, biopsy - all show no problems
Self diagnosed gluten intolerant - went gluten free. Within 3 days feeling better.
After 5 days - insides began to move
Now - feel better than I have felt for 15 years (except when I gluten myself.. which I'm good at)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: