Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Monosodium Glutamate

24 posts in this topic

Since going on a gluten-free diet, I wasn't sure at first if I could have Monosodium glutamate- but I read somewhere that it wasn't derived from wheat so it was okay. BUT-I've eaten things that seem to be gluten-free but have Monosodium glutamate in them and I get sick. I had a few potato chips with this ingredient and I was hunched over grabbing my stomach. I am guessing there is a connection- I just was wondering if anyone else gets sick :( off of this as well.

Ads by Google:

30% of people in general have a reaction to MSG. MSG is very bad for you..it is not a gluten reaction. MSG is ok from a celiac standpoint. Alot of people do have problems with MSG though.

I knew it wasn't the absolute best for you, but i guess i dont really remember a reaction to it before :huh: . Hmm. :) thank you for responding!

O yes it is horrible for you...it can cause many symptoms. They also tell people that are pregnant to avoid MSG....

read this article:

why msg is harmful?

Monosodium glutamate is a drug and a neurotransmitter. Glutamate is a highly regulated chemical of the nervous system, and a proper balance is necessary for healthy brain and organ function.

In fact, every major human organ is now known to contain glutamate receptors. Overstimulation of these receptors

Here are some common reactions in an article I found:

common reactions

People's reactions to MSG will vary depending on their sensitivity to the substance. At low doses, some people will experience no obvious physical symptoms, despite the acute neurochemical activity that occurs whenever anyone ingests the substance.

Following is a list of well-documented reactions to monosodium glutamate. Individuals with extreme sensitivities may experience seemingly incurable fibromyalgia-type pain, while others may have immediate, acute reactions, including heart attack.

Remember: a high enough dose is toxic to anyone

:o OH MY!!!!!!! How is this ingredient at all passed by the FDA???????|

That is awful, thank you so much for sharing this information.

I know! :o I could not believe all the problems associated with that. I try to stay as far away from it as possible. I occasionally have foods with it in it but I try to keep my intake of it very low...if pregnant women shouldn't have it then why should we?

Just one more reason to not eat processed foods. :wacko:

Kaiti,

Please give us the source for this information on MSG. MSG is one of those things theres a lot of hysteria and misinformation about and having a source can help people judge the veracity of the information.

richard

Many sites had the same info but I got these particular articles from:

http://www.nomsg.com/harmful.html

Even though from a celiac standpoint MSG is ok it is bad for you and thats a known fact.

Health food stores up here will not sell anything with MSG in them.

I found out after going gluten-free that I am MSG sensitive. I get the shakes and a general off-feeling that takes about 1-hour to pass. I avoid MSG as best I can.

Cleveland Bob B)

Since going on a gluten-free diet, I wasn't sure at first if I could have Monosodium glutamate- but I read somewhere that it wasn't derived from wheat so it was okay. BUT-I've eaten things that seem to be gluten-free but have Monosodium glutamate in them and I get sick. I had a few potato chips with this ingredient and I was hunched over grabbing my stomach. I am guessing there is a connection- I just was wondering if anyone else gets sick :( off of this as well.

I use to get sick off msg like you did so I called my doc and he told me that msg is a FORM OF GLUTEN

I use to get sick off msg like you did so I called my doc and he told me that msg is a FORM OF GLUTEN

Not true. But some people do not tolerate MSG but it's not because it is a form of gluten. http://www.celiac.co...ents/Page1.html

You might also want to check out this link: http://www.livestron...uten-free-diet/

This brought-back-from-the-dead topic is six years old.

MSG is the sodium salt of glutamic acid. Glutamic acid is a non-essential amino acid found in the molecular structure of most proteins. The often asserted claim that MSG contains gluten is just wrong. However, gluten (a protein) when broken down into its constituent parts will yield some glutamic acid. When sodium is present, glutamic acid will form monosodium glutamate by binding with a single sodium atom.

Refined MSG causes a reaction in some people, including some people with celiac disease. There is no special concern about MSG for those of us with celiac disease.

30% of people in general have a reaction to MSG.

If we could hear everything our bodies are saying to us... we would eat very differently.

You need a new doctor.

richard

I didn't notice a reaction to MSG until I became aware of my celiacs. I have the same reaction to it as I do with gluten. It could be from the damage already caused to your stomach and intestines. Try cutting it out.

An example is I eat McCormick Taco seasoning for my chicken Taco salad, and never have a problem. One time my husband accidentally bought the low sodium kind (also gluten-free) and i was in the bathroom within an hour with horrible stomach pains. The only difference between the two is the MSG replaces the sodium. I've tested this a few times and now I have to avoid that too. Geeze, sometimes I feel like there's nothing to eat.

Since going on a gluten-free diet, MSG does make me (briefly) ill. It also makes me eat half a bag of potato chips in about 5 minutes, so its probably a good thing I've cut it out...

I have a newly diagnosed son and I've been using FoodFacts.com to help me figure out if some foods have gluten. Do any of you use that? It seemed reliable, but today I looked up Dorito's .. which we thought were ok .. and it came up as "AVOID" due to monosodium glutamate (wheat) and artificial colors (gluten). Thoughts? He doesn't have belly symptoms, he is diabetic and was diagnosed as a celiac through a blood test and biopsy.

Doritos refers to a brand which covers a number of products. Some of them contain wheat, but it is not from the MSG.

MSG is gluten-free. Artificial colors are not the best thing for you, but they are also gluten-free.

Here's Frito Lays list for the US. They have some they test and some they don't test for gluten but do not add gluten to.

http://www.fritolay.com/your-health/us-products-not-containing-gluten-ingredients.html

Don't rely on those programs for the final word on product ingredients. They are good for suggestons. You still need to read the ingredients as they can change.

Last time I checked, the Nacho Cheese Doritos were a no-no . . . not because of MSG but because there was wheat flour in them. The Cool Ranch Doritos are OK.

Never had a problem with MSG, nor do I avoid it. I only care about wheat, barley, rye, and of course oats. Although, if I had inadvertently eaten something containing a very small amount of oats, I wouldn't freak out about it.

best regards, lm

Sounds like foodfacts isn't too reliable. As noted, SOME Doritos have gluten, but not from MSG or artificial color (never found gluten in artificial colors).

richard