23 replies to this topic

#16 lovegrov

lovegrov

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 05:57 AM

I use to get sick off msg like you did so I called my doc and he told me that msg is a FORM OF GLUTEN

You need a new doctor.

richard

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Rmarie15

Rmarie15

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 07:28 PM

I didn't notice a reaction to MSG until I became aware of my celiacs. I have the same reaction to it as I do with gluten. It could be from the damage already caused to your stomach and intestines. Try cutting it out.
An example is I eat McCormick Taco seasoning for my chicken Taco salad, and never have a problem. One time my husband accidentally bought the low sodium kind (also gluten-free) and i was in the bathroom within an hour with horrible stomach pains. The only difference between the two is the MSG replaces the sodium. I've tested this a few times and now I have to avoid that too. Geeze, sometimes I feel like there's nothing to eat.

#18 TB4me2000

TB4me2000

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 07:41 PM

Since going on a gluten-free diet, MSG does make me (briefly) ill. It also makes me eat half a bag of potato chips in about 5 minutes, so its probably a good thing I've cut it out...

#19 Jill Skipper

Jill Skipper

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 08:35 AM

I have a newly diagnosed son and I've been using FoodFacts.com to help me figure out if some foods have gluten. Do any of you use that? It seemed reliable, but today I looked up Dorito's .. which we thought were ok .. and it came up as "AVOID" due to monosodium glutamate (wheat) and artificial colors (gluten). Thoughts? He doesn't have belly symptoms, he is diabetic and was diagnosed as a celiac through a blood test and biopsy.

#20 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 08:56 AM

Doritos refers to a brand which covers a number of products. Some of them contain wheat, but it is not from the MSG.

MSG is gluten-free. Artificial colors are not the best thing for you, but they are also gluten-free.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#21 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:39 AM

Here's Frito Lays list for the US. They have some they test and some they don't test for gluten but do not add gluten to.

http://www.fritolay....ngredients.html

Don't rely on those programs for the final word on product ingredients. They are good for suggestons. You still need to read the ingredients as they can change.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#22 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 11:36 AM

Last time I checked, the Nacho Cheese Doritos were a no-no . . . not because of MSG but because there was wheat flour in them. The Cool Ranch Doritos are OK.
Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Posted Image

#23 larry mac

larry mac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 08:31 PM

Never had a problem with MSG, nor do I avoid it. I only care about wheat, barley, rye, and of course oats. Although, if I had inadvertently eaten something containing a very small amount of oats, I wouldn't freak out about it.

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

#24 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:07 AM

Sounds like foodfacts isn't too reliable. As noted, SOME Doritos have gluten, but not from MSG or artificial color (never found gluten in artificial colors).

richard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: