This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Baking Flours And Mixes

KarenFe

KarenFe Contributor

When I started my gluten-free diet in April, I was all gung-ho on mixing flowers and using various flours called for in recipes. Right now we are following the Annalise Roberts mix using brown rice flour, tapioca flour, and potato starch. Now I want to keep things as simple as possible. I may just premix her flour recipe and, if I do, do I have to keep it in the refrigerator? I currently keep the individual bags in there but am not sure if it's necessary.

I would love to hear your favorite flour mix and why you like it. I read here about Better Batter being popular. I actually have spent nearly 2 hours searching here on flour mixes, but the search brings up loads of threads and it's hard to find exactly what I'm looking for. I'm sorry if this question has been asked too many times. Believe me, I did search first. :)

My question is this: If I bought Better Batter flour and I have Annalise Roberts cookbook, do I follow the cookbook as written. I imagine I would. If I get several gluten-free cookbooks, then I imagine I'd still have to have a variety of flour blends/mixes. Is this not right?

I hope I make sense here - I'm tired and foggy. ;)

Thank you,

Karen

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mamaw Community Regular

Hello

There are many flour blends available today... There are the ho-hum blends & the good ones & then the best ones! Here are a few top on the line flour blends.

Annalise Roberts blend

Betterbatter

Domata living flour

Meister's

Jules Shepard blend

Betty Hageman

My favorites are several for different things. I use betterbatter for all betterbatter recipes. And the site has a ton of excellent recipes! The owner is a friend of mine....

I love Annalise & her flour blend plus she has several wonderful cookbooks. She has the best cake recipes! Great person.

Domata living flour has several varieties. The seasoned flour is great for breading fish or boneless chicken. The flour blend for baking is also very good, third or fourth on my favs list.

Meister's is fairly new but I love it as well.

I like using several different flour blends to give a variety in texture & taste. Before I went gluten-free I didn't eat all the same things made with the exact same flours so I don't want to eat everything the same now. By changing the flours you get a differnt mouth appeal, not boredom.....

I have all these flours at all times.... Call it emergency prepardedness... No stores close by to run in & grab a flour when I run out!

I choose to use Annalise blend for her cookbook & betterbatter for her recipes. When I use Meister's blend I just use my old gluten recipes & add more baking powder as they state.

I never have a flop!!!! I think it is what you like & what your taste buds enjoy... Mine just happen to enjoy the spice of life......

hth

blessings

mamaw

KarenFe Contributor

mamaw, thank you for your great list of flours and how you use them. As I understand it, you will have various flours and use the one called for in the recipe, correct? Do you refrigerate the flours? I saw on the better batter web site that their flour does not need to be refrigerated. That's a plus since room in the fridge is at a premium.

Thank you,

Karen

mamaw Community Regular

Hi

About the only thing I keep in the fridge is brown rice flour, it seems to go rancid quicker...I keep annalise blend in a plastic container on my shelf. I do use the air conditioner all summer. If you are in a very warm climate I probably would keep everything in the fridge esp. if no air conditioning.

Yes, I use the specfic flour for the cookbook I'm baking from. I have used subs but I find it for me does better using the correct blend.

I test market for many gluten-free companies.... when I tested Meister's blend they said to use it with any reg. wheat recipe & add B.powder so I did & it was excellent. They don't recommend using gluten-free recipes so I never bothered to try it since they should know best...

There is a recipe in the recipe section for Lorna's bread( Lori Crater) in a bread machine & I have subbed flours in that recipe, it is very forgiving so whatever I have on hand I use.

I run an independent support ministry in Pa. I know all the best of the best & new goodies in the gluten-free world...if you need any insight on the best just ask. I wasted enough maoney years ago on gluten-free stuff the dog would not eat!!!!SO now I help others ........I was in marketing for over thirty years so this is a natural for me ......

happy baking

mamaw

Archived