13 replies to this topic

#1 Esther Sparhawk

Esther Sparhawk

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 04:31 PM

Don't you hate it when Halloween rolls around and you're wondering which candies your gluten-free kid can eat? Well, I've decided to post my list and ask for everyone out there in cyberland to help me verify. Which of these candies have you called lately? Which ones need to be removed or added? Isn't this what a celiac forum is all about? Helping each other out? ;)

So here's my gluten-free candy list from last Halloween (Meaning these candies and gums were all gluten-free as of last fall, to the best of my knowledge):
• Airheads
• Almond Joy
• Altoids
• Ande’s Mints
• Astro Pops
• Baby bottle Pops by Topps
• Bazooka Gum
• Big League Chew Gum (original, grape, strawberry)
• Blow Pops
• Brach’s root beer barrels
• Break Bar (by Glutino—something similar to Kit Kats)
• Breath Saver Mints
• Bubbilicious Gum
• Bubble Yum Gum
• Junior Mints
• Charlston Chew
• Junior Caramels
• Candy Corn by Goelitz
• Carefree Gum
• Certs Mints
• Chicklets
• Clorets Gum
• Clorets Mints
• Dentyne Gum
• Double Bubble Gum
• Dove
• DumDum Pops by Charms Co.
• Extra Gum
• Fruit Stripe Gum
• Gobstoppers
• Hershey’s Plain Chocolate Sticks
• Hershey’s Kissables
• Hershey’s Plain Swoops
• Hershey’s Hugs
• Hershey’s Kisses
• Hershey’s Plain Chocolate Bars
• Reese’s Peanut butter Cups
• Reese’s Pieces
• Hershey’s Skor Bar
• York Peppermint Patty
• Hershey’s Kisses with Almonds
• Hershey’s Giant Kiss
• Hot Tamales
• Ice Breakers Gum
• Jelly Belly
• Jolly Rancher Products—Lollipops, small candies, and Jelly Beans
• Juicy Drop Pops and Chews by Topp’s
• Mike and Ike
• Zours
• Marshmallow Peeps
• Teenee Beanee Jelly Beans
• Just Born Jelly Beans
• Kraft Caramels
• Kraft Mini Marshmallow Snack Packs
• Laffy Taffy by Willy Wonka
• Lifesavers
• Lifesaver Gummies
• Lifesaver Jelly Beans
• Lifesaver suckers
• Lifesaver Mints
• M&M Plain and Peanut
• Mars Bars
• Marvel Candy Sticks
• Mary Janes
• Mega WarHeads
• Mounds
• Necco Wafers
• Mary Jane Peanut Butter Kisses
• Talking Pumpkins (Halloween) by Necco
• Nestle Milk Chocolate Bars (but definitely NOT their Crunch bars)
• Newman’s Own sweet dark chocolate products, choc bar, and butter toffee crunch
• Orbit Gum
• Payday
• Pez
• Pixie Sticks by Willy Wonka
• Pop Rocks Candy
• Push Pops by Topps
• Ring Pops by Topp’s
• Rolo
• Runts by Wonka
• Russel Stover (check labels—if candy contains wheat, rye, oats, or barley, it will be clearly labeled)
• Skittles (but NOT the mini Skittles)
• Smarties
• Smarties Double Lolly by Mega Lolly
• Snickers (NOT Crispy or Poppables though)
• Sour Patch Kids by Trebor Allen
• Sprees
• Starburst Fruit Chews
• Starburst Jelly Beans
• Sugar Babies & Sugar Daddies
• Sunkist chewy Candies
• Swedish Fish by Trebor Allen
• Sweet Tarts by Wonka
• 3 Musketeers—(but NOT the poppables)
• TicTacs
• Tootsie Rolls (all Tootsie Roll confections are gluten-free)
• Trident Gum
• ALL Wrigley’s gum products, including bubble tape (but read labels—their candies do contain gluten)

Please post your comments. Let me know of any inaccuracies and/or candies/gums that could be added to the list. Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 runningcrazy

runningcrazy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 04:49 PM

I just wanted to make sure you note that the altoids mints are gluten free, but the gum is not safe.

Sorry I cant be of much help:)
'You can't start building a better tomorrow if you wait until tomorrow to start building'

#3 Esther Sparhawk

Esther Sparhawk

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 04:57 PM

I just wanted to make sure you note that the altoids mints are gluten free, but the gum is not safe.

Sorry I cant be of much help:)

Yeah, that's exactly why I posted this, Maceroni. I send this list to family, friends, school, etc... I want to make sure it is easy for anyone to follow, even if they know nothing about celiac disease. Thanks for pointing out that discrepancy. I'll fix that on my master copy.

Anyone else see something that needs altered? :)

#4 Juliet

Juliet

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 05:06 PM

Also the Hershey's Miniatures chocolate bars (plain, with almond, special dark) are not safe.

#5 twe0708

twe0708

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 12:47 PM

Are Dots gluten free?

#6 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 01:45 PM

Are Dots gluten free?

Yes.

#7 amytude

amytude

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 06:40 AM

Thanks for this! Unfortuantely, we are also casein free which eliminates the chocolate stuff and other things you wouldn't think would contain milk. I might also put together a Gluten-free Casein-free list, if that would be helpful for anyone else. There's a great place in my town called Chocolate Emporium which is run by a jewish family and they make Gluten-free Casein-free candy and chocolate.

#8 Benshell

Benshell

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 04:34 PM

Thank you for posting this this. I'm new to the gluten-free diet for my 6 year old and was dreading halloween coming because of the caramel coloring thing that I'm still not clear on, and the dusting of candy with flour...its all so overwhelming, but this board helps a lot.

I'm glad she'll still get to enjoy lots of halloween, but not too much candy as that gives her a tummy ache!

Thanks for posting the list.

#9 Amyleigh0007

Amyleigh0007

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 09:50 AM

Also the Hershey's Miniatures chocolate bars (plain, with almond, special dark) are not safe.

Are the miniatures the smallest ones that come in a bag mixed with other kinds? Does anyone know about the small Hershey bars that aren't as small as the mini's? I hope someone knows what I am talking about! I can't think of another way to describe them!
Amy

1989: I am diagnosed with IBS.
3/08: 8-year-old son diagnosed with Celiac (blood test and biopsy) and allergies to corn, egg whites, soy, peanuts, walnuts, wheat, and clam.
6/08: My Celiac test is negative.
7/08: I go completely gluten free despite negative test and NO MORE IBS SYMPTOMS!!
7/09: My Enterolab gluten sensitivity gene testing results indicate I have one Celiac gene and one gluten sensitivity gene.
8/09: I am diagnosed with Celiac based on gene testing results and positive response to diet.

#10 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 10:04 AM

Are the miniatures the smallest ones that come in a bag mixed with other kinds? Does anyone know about the small Hershey bars that aren't as small as the mini's? I hope someone knows what I am talking about! I can't think of another way to describe them!

fun size?

snack size?
Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Posted Image

#11 ChemistMama

ChemistMama

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 11:11 AM

Hershey: Linky

How does The Hershey Company manage allergies?

The Hershey Company strives to provide its consumers with accurate, reliable ingredient statements upon which consumers can make their purchase decision. The Hershey Company has an Allergy Task Force that ensures that the ingredient statements are always accurate, and that any allergen statements placed on the label is understandable.
Do your products share plants & equipment?

We take food allergies very seriously at Hershey and have strict procedures in place to prevent crossover of allergens into other products that do not contain the allergen. In instances where we have a concern about possible crossover by an allergen we take the added precaution of including an allergy information statement on the label.
Can you send me an allergen list?

We have found that allergen lists quickly become outdated as our product lines change over time. Rather than have you make purchase decisions based on outdated information, we encourage you to check the ingredient label on the package. This label provides accurate, current information about all the ingredients in the package.

#12 mstroud

mstroud

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 10:19 AM

I don't have much to add, but I do believe that Airhead EXTREMES have wheat in them. I almost bought them for my children once and happened to check the ingredients ... wheat flour was listed twice. I think the airheads are okay.

Last year I gave my children the miniatures (not the krackles with rice krispies in them) and I'm pretty sure they made them sick. I guess it's either a cross contamination thing (in the bag or on the lines).

The only other thing I have to add is to be careful of the special holiday shapes of some candy that might normally be gluten-free. I know I've seen wheat or malt in Reeses cup in special shapes last year (bells at Christmas time I believe). Just a thought!

#13 jello5

jello5

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 04:52 PM

Hi,

If anyone has a gluten-free/CF halloween candy list I would sincerely appreciate it. This is our first gluten-free/CF halloween and I am a little overwhelmed at the thought of it all.

Thank you

#14 bahrbdoll

bahrbdoll

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 05:42 PM

Not sure about this- I think what you're wondering about are the milk chocolate hersheys nuggets- and boy do I hope they're gluten-free because I eat them every day for my chocolate fix. They are from what I can tell, but I'm a newbie. If anyone knows, please let me know. thanks
-negative blood 2 x's
-negative biopsy- but couldn't biopsy the portion of my small intestine they normally do- due to that part being bypassed in my gastric bypass surgery
What should I do next?
Please help- any info, sugesstions, ideas- etc... I have a million ?'s

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: