Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Wavy Nails? Anyone?

7 posts in this topic

First, let me say...I love this site! I am on a posting-spree as I navigate this new world I am learning about and researching. Trying to solve the puzzle. Anyway, does anyone have fingernails that grow wavy at the tips? Is this related to any deficiencies, etc? I tried to google, but proved useless. Just wondering if anyone has any knowledge to share?

Ads by Google:

Are your waves going across the nail or up and down? Different causes for each. If I remember correctly, across is illness/physical stress/manicure damage, up and down is vitamin deficiency/aging. I don't remember which vitamin, but I'm thinking one of the B's. I had both, and both have improved. I'm sure you will get a more informative post.

Are your waves going across the nail or up and down? Different causes for each. If I remember correctly, across is illness/physical stress/manicure damage, up and down is vitamin deficiency/aging. I don't remember which vitamin, but I'm thinking one of the B's. I had both, and both have improved. I'm sure you will get a more informative post.

Across, I think like if I were to point my finger at myself and look at it at eye level, it's higher on the left side and lower on the right. Does that make sense? The lower part also seems to curve down if I let them grow too long, towards the tip of my finger.

Across, I think like if I were to point my finger at myself and look at it at eye level, it's higher on the left side and lower on the right. Does that make sense? The lower part also seems to curve down if I let them grow too long, towards the tip of my finger.

That could be an iron deficiency. My friend had that when she was severely anemic. Then they started breaking off badly.

I used to have wavy nails when the rash on my hands was bad. The waves were horizontal.

You may want to have a dermatologist take a look at your nails. The type of curving you are referring to can be indicative of a few things, nutritional deficiencies being one but there are other more serious causes that should be ruled out, especially if you are a smoker.

Sounds like the way my nails were growing. They have improved tremendously as my intestines healed. I had a vitamin D deficiency from malabsorption, but also could be other vitamin and mineral deficiencies.

You might want to get your blood checked - and all the vitamins and minerals checked. I know that vitamin d test is not regularly checked when blood work is done.

My nails were terrible for years... ridges, peeling, cracking, white spots, wavy (as you said), etc. They look so much better after a year and half off gluten.

Good luck!

erin